1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rockets.com] McHale on effort

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Jones, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/video/2012/01/09/ZOOM0001MOV-1959697/index.html

Boy do I love this guy. At the end he says this is first time in his life he heard players say: "Well, we just didn't have it (tonight)" after a loss.

McHale's response: "Well what the hell is it? Could you run, could you jump? I don't understand what it is. You're supposed to go out there and compete, you don't make shots, you rebound harder; you don't make shots, you defend better; you don't make shots, you sprint the floor harder, what!? IT ?? Well I guess it is something I haven't figured out yet, that somehow leaves and then you suck"

And then just shakes his head, like ridiculous people come up with this ****.
    JVG part 2 :D

2. Spankie

Spankie Member

THE ENFORCER

3. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

Yes mchale get the boys make them play defense.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Could you coach?

DD

1 person likes this.
  5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Does anyone want to speculate which player(s) would say, "Well, we just didn't have it (tonight)" ?

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

There was a clear lack of effort in some of those last 4 away games.

Can't coach lack of effort. Best you can do is bench it...which is what McHale did with Budinger...a big dose of pine.

And I agree...what the hell does "Sorry coach, we just didn't have 'IT' tonight?" mean.

7. heypartner

btw: thanks for the link. I enjoyed the interview. The Kyle and Scola ones after practice are worth watching...too

I'd bet money on Hill.

8. Burko

Burko Member

I'd tell them to go find "it" and come back after the next game

9. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Haha nice

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Can they fix the volume on these videos? I couldn't hear a damn thing on my Macbook Air. Only saw that McHale looked rather pissed and dejected.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm kind of shocked actually. Which begs the question. Did Adelman stop holding players accountable for defense? I have always defended Adelman for our lack of defense due to lack of interior presence. But if players simply don't put in the effort, that's a coaching issue.

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Interesting. I wasn't thinking of him but wouldn't surprise me either. He's been coach's pet up til now.

On one hand, that statement smells like Kevin Martin. On the other hand, I can see Scola shrugging his shoulders and making a statement like that after shooting an 8 for 20.

If the team were winning, the statement wouldn't mean anything. I've heard superstar players on championship teams make that statement after they stunk one up. And if this team had Yao and Lowry leading the way, then I doubt that a statement like that coming from at best your third best player would mean much.

Everything gets magnified when you are losing.....everything. And coaches that are losing magnify these kinds of statements to attempt to push blame to the players. That doesn't mean McHale is a bad coach. Doesn't mean he is a good coach either. It's part of losing. I could add this one to my list of reasons why you know you are a fan of a lottery team.

11. Coach starts blaming players for lack of effort and keeps tossing players around looking for 5 Ryan Bowen type scrappers that can't play but will dive all over the floor and make it appear like the team is really working hard.

Everything gets magnified when you are losing...everything.

1 person likes this.
  13. heypartner

highly doubtful imo. watch the Scola interview after the Monday practice. That's exactly how the dude talks...and has always talked.

Well, one superstar player who never said is apparently Kevin McHale. Larry Bird has a way of not letting teammates say that around him.

Not to a coach. It is the coaches job to identify any rotation players who makes lame excuses about losing and then to do something about it. no?
    McHale said it's fine to say "I didn't have my shooting touch, today" as long as the player continues hustling.

I'd say we are are the ones making too much of it..."pushing blame to the players"? Where does that idea come from? Just conjecture, no? McHale was just talking to reporters and giving a good interview...and some insight to the team. We shouldn't read too much into it.

14. baldeagle40

baldeagle40 Member

Did you say it this way to see if any other Macbook Air owners had an issue, or are you just a Mac snob? {douche}

Comes off sounding like "I couldn't hear anything in my Jag...."

I heard it perfectly on my 2007 Dell E521 running Linux Mint.

15. DaDakota

Maybe we would have it a little more if McHale didn't consistently ask Scola to guard the other team's center.

DD

16. anchel

anchel Member

Scola said this after the Clippers game. When I heard McHale yesterday I thought about him:

1 person likes this.
  17. heypartner

wow ..nice quote pull. I was in denial. I suppose that must be the very quote McHale was talking about. Hell, maybe it was *only* Scola who said it. Need to nip that in the bud from a vet.

[​IMG]

nip it!

Maybe we can give Scola a freebie for something possibly being lost in translation...and the fact he ended by saying "this is what happens when you don't play hard."

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It means your team lacks heart and are uninspired.

That usually isn't a problem. Might be the losing or might be the coaching. Players are definitely unhappy though

19. Raven

Raven Member

We've seen this happen a thousand times. When a team knows they stink, effort is always the first casualty.

And as I've said before, no one on the roster believes they will be here in two years, so the players take a lose less personal. They become detached. It's a vicious circle where lack of effort leads to more loses and more loses lead to lack of effort. And McHale needs to be careful or the players are going to start tuning him out.

2 people like this.
  20. DaDakota

I think the failed trade caused 2 of his most important players to tune him out already.

You are right though, if players feel the org doesn't want them or respect them, then they will selfishly do what they think is best for themselves.

And sometimes that is cousins basketball....hey, you get yours and then let me get mine......

DD