1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Something that's been bothering me for a while, namely thinly-veiled homophobic posts

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by br0ken_shad0w, Jan 5, 2012.

1. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

I'm talking about how Clutchfans posters seems to use expressions like "that's so gay", "super gay", or "ghey" like it's normal. That's something we should grow out of past high school.

I only brought it up now since two of my other go-to forums don't tolerate such insults since it's considered under the umbrella racial, sexual, and ethnic slurs and reading the posts here with said expressions makes me :eek:.

I'm not proposing banning any offensive terms, but you should at least be able to describe something or someone without resorting to such homophobic expressions. Agreed?

1 person likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8D_XLCmY0D8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

you now how i know you're gay?

lighten up, dude. it's all about context.

4. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

people use it to mean lame

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

sorry, not a
    haha, I tricked you!

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Get your Smokey On

...pause

7. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Do you even know what homophobic means? I will tell you, so put that dictionary down. It means to fear homosexual people. It has nothing to do with saying "gay" or "ghey" or "ghay" or "super duper ghai".

If you are going to accuse people of making fun of gays or using gays as a slur or using gays as a funny expretion (which is what I am gathering from your post) then please title your thread and thesis appropriately. Thanks.

Homophobia, and gay bashing/gay hating or whatever are two separate entities so I suggest you educate yourself. That being said I am not a particular fan of the high schoolish "OMG that's gay" on a message board such as this. Maybe that stuff passes in real life or on totse, but just ignore those people next time or anyone for that matter that you don't agree with. Oh, wait that's ignorophobia, OMG!

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

Gay means happy. Or an overrated player for the Grizzlies.

I don't see anything wrong.

1 person likes this.
  10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZB-Ct8J0LT0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

at first I thought it said thinly - veined

12. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

No I agree.

The context of the word is often associated with something negative, which is what bothers homosexuals as far as I'm concerned.

It's like if you think something looks terrible and you say "that looks gay". You're associating the term gay with something negative. I can understand why people would be offended by that.

But it's a tough rule to enforce and it's one of those things that you can't really do anything about on the internet. Oh well.

13. Raven

Raven Member

I don't remember ever using the phrase, but the word police can buzz off. Of course, if Clutch wants to ban the word that is his prerogative, but eventually our society needs to grow up and stop looking for things to get offended over. There are bigger issues to worry about.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This thread is gay.

As in happy.

15. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What a queer thread.

DD

17. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Okay, Grant Hill.

18. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Yeah I'm not trying to start something or be overly PC. I'm just a little bothered when people associate gay with being bad or different. Maybe I'm just used to GAF or Somethingawful where using those phrases gets you banned there. Oh well.

19. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

What about "that's r****ded"?

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I agree it is insensitive. It's something I probably used to excess when I was a teenager without thinking about it. I'm more conscious about such things now and try to police myself. I don't know what you can do about the board -- people (including me) are going to say things that are offensive to others. It is inevitable, even if we expunge 'gay' from the our lexicon.

That's insensitive to the disabled! :p