ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Talking Rockets Depth, Trade Possibilities with David Weiner

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

The dreaded Chuck Hayes appreciation thread
Tags:  basketball, chuck hayes, hakeem olajuwon, houston rockets, nba, retro rockets Tags
valorita is offline Old 12-07-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
valorita
valorita is Omer Asik -- working the boardsvalorita is Omer Asik -- working the boardsvalorita is Omer Asik -- working the boardsvalorita is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #36697
Sac is reported to offer 4 years @ 20 mil
Daryl was just waiting for the market to be set (not bid against yourself).

5 mil / year is on the upper end of what Chuck's value is. As a specialty player to be that missing piece, he is absolutely worth that. To the Rockets? It depends on which direction he is going.

This is how it will play out:

-If we let Chuck go,then we know that...
1)we are getting a legit center that can replace Chuck's value on the court
2)we believe that our own youngsters can fill the void
3)we are rebuilding

I believe we will offer Hayes a 5 yr 22 million dollar deal. More guaranteed money because it's a longer contract and at ~4mil/yr, you really can't get a decent backup big in his prime for that price. I also suspect that Hayes will continue to get better as he has been doing in years past.

Sponsored Link
desi tmac91 is offline Old 12-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
desi tmac91
desi tmac91 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously gooddesi tmac91 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #31938
Too early? He's not even gone yet, Rockets haven't made an offer to him either (apparently waiting on Chandler/Nene).

ric_flair is online now Old 12-07-2011, 11:27 PM   #3
ric_flair
ric_flair is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Nov 2011
Member: #49844
ima miss you chuck! you were the definition of hustle.

spdngyns69 is offline Old 12-07-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
spdngyns69
spdngyns69 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finespdngyns69 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Nov 2008
Member: #35610
Houston step your game up! Work some magic and find a way to KEEP him AND sign a serviceable FA! In Morey we trust?

ascaptjack is offline Old 12-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #5
ascaptjack
ascaptjack is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodascaptjack is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Sep 2011
Member: #49574
Goodbye Sweet Prince, too bad you didn't get an offer from a contender. (Still puzzled as to why the Heat didn't offer the full MLE to him).

Really wish you had a shot at a ring but you are going to be close to home now.

Part of me his happy, but another part of me is bummed. First Landry, then Battier and now you. It'll be hard seeing you in purple and white.

You will always be in the hearts and minds of Rockets fans. Sacramento is one lucky franchise to have your services.

You started out as a virtual unknown and absolutely no offensive game at all to becoming a triple double threat on some nights. Shows how much hard work you put into your game.

You were a consumate professional who did it the right way and were a phenomanal defender and teacher.

You will be missed sorely.

Farewell, Modesto Mauler!

clos4life is offline Old 12-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #6
clos4life
Contributing Member
clos4life is Omer Asik -- working the boardsclos4life is Omer Asik -- working the boardsclos4life is Omer Asik -- working the boardsclos4life is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Dec 2007
Member: #29124
I refuse to believe this. Morey swoops in and matches offer and the world is right again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
The James Harden signing is Trevor Ariza magnified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROF2012 View Post
He did not play at star level in the last 3 games.

spdngyns69 is offline Old 12-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
spdngyns69
spdngyns69 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finespdngyns69 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Nov 2008
Member: #35610
If Chuck somehow gets resigned, we should chalk up this whole "Morey and assets" Here's the time to prove it...

DaDakota is offline Old 12-08-2011, 12:13 AM   #8
DaDakota
Contributing Member
DaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 1999
Member: #331
Loved the guarding of Pierce, especially as Pierce looked around when Chuck switched on D looking like he knew he was done....

DD

rocketshopeful is offline Old 12-08-2011, 12:26 AM   #9
rocketshopeful
rocketshopeful is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2006
Member: #19130
always felt like chuck would be one of those life-time rockets. A bit sad, but good for him. I will cheer him when he plays us.

At least for the near-term

ascaptjack is offline Old 12-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #10
ascaptjack
ascaptjack is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodascaptjack is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketshopeful View Post
always felt like chuck would be one of those life-time rockets. A bit sad, but good for him. I will cheer him when he plays us.

At least for the near-term
LOL no one is a life time Rocket, not even Hakeem was.

DaDakota is offline Old 12-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #11
DaDakota
Contributing Member
DaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 1999
Member: #331
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascaptjack View Post
LOL no one is a life time Rocket, not even Hakeem was.
Rudy T and Calvin Murphy.

DD

Broford is offline Old 12-08-2011, 12:38 AM   #12
Broford
Broford is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jun 2010
Member: #46551
He is so getting a standing ovation when Kings visit Houston.

nickb492 is online now Old 12-08-2011, 12:42 AM   #13
nickb492
Contributing Member
nickb492 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsnickb492 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsnickb492 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsnickb492 is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Apr 2009
Member: #39959
NEVER FORGET

I'll keep posting this as many times that I find necessary. The happiest moment last year was seeing Chuck get a triple-double. The look on his face when he missed those two free throws was so damn funny.

Frank Reynolds: Look, I didn't go to Vietnam just to have pansies like you take my freedom away from me.

Dee Reynolds: You went to Vietnam in *1993* to open up a sweatshop!

Frank Reynolds: And a lot of good men died in that sweatshop!

rocketshopeful is offline Old 12-08-2011, 01:00 AM   #14
rocketshopeful
rocketshopeful is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #19130
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDakota View Post
Rudy T and Calvin Murphy.

DD
guy named yao.

REEKO_HTOWN is offline Old 12-08-2011, 01:14 AM   #15
REEKO_HTOWN
Contributing Member
REEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32179
The charge you took to win the Jazz playoff game....I was there and I will never forget.

Best of luck at home Chuck!

2014's new version of I'm not a racist:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh7 View Post
Please don't label me racist for pointing these facts out, for it's not a racial issue. Even my successful african-american friends...

acsorelle4 is offline Old 12-08-2011, 01:57 AM   #16
acsorelle4
acsorelle4 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsacsorelle4 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsacsorelle4 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsacsorelle4 is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jun 2009
Member: #42819
This is why I didn't renew my season tickets. The clerk asked me who my favorite player was. I said, "Chuck and he's a free agent." Doofus said he was pretty sure Chuck was still on the roster and even if he wasn't they would resign him. Those desperate pimps will say anything to sell a ticket. That said, I hope he was right.

GzUs is offline Old 12-08-2011, 02:09 AM   #17
GzUs
GzUs is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jun 2009
Member: #42643
I sure didnt wanna lose chuck...especially for Sam Dal...but it looks like dats da way we headed..

kidcave9 is offline Old 12-08-2011, 02:35 AM   #18
kidcave9
Contributing Member
kidcave9 is James Harden -- racking up the pointskidcave9 is James Harden -- racking up the pointskidcave9 is James Harden -- racking up the pointskidcave9 is James Harden -- racking up the pointskidcave9 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Mar 2010
Member: #45975
I love you man

rhino17 is offline Old 12-08-2011, 02:37 AM   #19
rhino17
rhino17 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerhino17 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerhino17 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerhino17 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerhino17 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerhino17 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Member: #19214
Chuck is probably my favorite Rocket of the last decade, I'm gonna miss him a lot

ascaptjack is offline Old 12-08-2011, 02:47 AM   #20
ascaptjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcave9 View Post
I love you man