ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Look who's back: Rockets sign Trevor Ariza to a four-year, $32M deal

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

D-Mo to play in Italy for the duration of the lockout, perhaps through next season
Tags:  argentina, basketball, benetton treviso, donatas motiejunas, houston, houston rockets, italy, lockout, luis scola, minnesota, minnesota timberwolves, nba, nba draft, nba lockout Tags
HMMMHMM is offline Old 06-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
HMMMHMM
Contributing Member
HMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Oct 2010
Member: #47207
Quote:
Hours before the NBA locked out its players on Thursday, Rockets rookie Donatas Motiejunas returned to Italy expecting to rejoin his previous team.

Motiejunas said he expects to accept an offer from Benetton Treviso to resume his career there for the duration of the NBA lockout and perhaps through next season.

Just a week after he joined the Rockets in a draft-night deal with the Minnesota Timberwolves, Motiejunas left Houston on Thursday to resume training in Treviso.

I still have a contract with Benetton, Motiejunas, the 20th player taken in the NBA Draft last week, said. They told me if I want to leave in the middle of the season when the team that took me, Houston, wants me, they would let me go. That will be no problem.

Thats why Im happy, and a little bit sad. The situation is very tough right now. I dont really want to go away from the team. Im not happy about that. That was one of the greatest things that happened in my life, that this team picked me. They really supported me. I appreciated all the fans and all the staff that was working with me. I really feel bad about what is happening right now.

Motiejunas said he would consider remaining with Benetton throughout next season, depending on input from the Rockets. He and his representatives cannot, however, have any communication with the Rockets during the lockout. Before the lockout began, the Rockets did make their tender offer to their draft picks to maintain their NBA rights to them.

The NBA has told players it could void contracts of players injured while playing during the lockout, but rookies are not under contract. Veteran forward Luis Scola had said he would seek a team to join during the lockout, but is now expected to play only for the Argentina National team.

Most top International teams are expected to offer their top contracts to players that can sign without a clause that would allow players to leave when the lockout ends, an option Motiejunas might consider.

I think it is better to play with some team, to get more minutes and more experience, more toughness, more energy and more toughness, than to come here and see how others play, Motiejunas said. That is most difficult thing, to sit on the bench and watch others play.

During the lockout, however, he will not have an option to work with the Rockets, returning instead to Treviso.

I want to be here, but its not my option, Motiejunas said. But if the team sees I cannot play, why come here and spend one year if there is a lockout.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/7634890.html

Sponsored Link
jmwilliamson is offline Old 06-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
jmwilliamson
Contributing Member
jmwilliamson is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejmwilliamson is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejmwilliamson is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejmwilliamson is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejmwilliamson is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejmwilliamson is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejmwilliamson is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Dec 2002
Member: #9133
I consider this good news assuming he doesn't get sucked into a long term contract situation.

Hell, maybe somebody will post Benneton Treviso games on the board and we'll have some basketball to watch during the lockout - somebody to root for.

rocketblaze is offline Old 06-30-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
rocketblaze
rocketblaze is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finerocketblaze is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finerocketblaze is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: May 2009
Member: #41757
At least It gives rocket fans a reason to watch euro basketball..

The_Yoyo is offline Old 06-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
The_Yoyo
Contributing Member
The_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Dec 2001
Member: #3378
this good news at least he will still be developing and playing ball as long as he doesnt get hurt this is def good news for the rockets.

W22_STREAK is offline Old 06-30-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
W22_STREAK
W22_STREAK is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineW22_STREAK is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineW22_STREAK is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Apr 2008
Member: #31459
He doesn't pass or defend. Can he get off the bench ?

W22_STREAK is offline Old 06-30-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
W22_STREAK
W22_STREAK is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineW22_STREAK is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineW22_STREAK is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Apr 2008
Member: #31459
haha oops I thought D-Mo was referring to Mo Williams..for some reason..hahaha

eddiewinslow is offline Old 06-30-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
eddiewinslow
eddiewinslow is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodeddiewinslow is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 2011
Member: #49010
Let's just pray he doesnt get hurt or decide to fran vazquez us

HamJam is offline Old 06-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #8
HamJam
Contributing Member
HamJam is James Harden -- racking up the pointsHamJam is James Harden -- racking up the pointsHamJam is James Harden -- racking up the pointsHamJam is James Harden -- racking up the pointsHamJam is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Mar 2011
Member: #48645
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilliamson View Post
I consider this good news assuming he doesn't get sucked into a long term contract situation.

Hell, maybe somebody will post Benneton Treviso games on the board and we'll have some basketball to watch during the lockout - somebody to root for.
I think this is a great idea.

In fact, I think ESPN or some other network needs to start airing Euro League and other international league play while the lock out is going on. That would be so cool. And maybe if ratings were good enough it would cause the NBA owners to soften their stance with the players some and help end the lockout.

Or, if those networks start paying those international leagues to play their games, then maybe those teams can start employing the locked out players...

or...maybe I'm a pie in the sky idealist who happens to like basketball too much...

BimaThug is offline Old 06-30-2011, 09:40 PM   #9
BimaThug
Contributing Member
BimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 1999
Member: #359
I'm thrilled by this news, and I'll bet the Rockets selected Montiejunas with exactly this scenario in mind.

When the lockout ends and teams begin their 50-game season, it looks like Morris and Parsons will be the only (drafted) rookies on this team.

And that's a good thing.

I may even say something worthwhile at some point.

HTown_TMac is offline Old 06-30-2011, 09:47 PM   #10
HTown_TMac
HTown_TMac is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodHTown_TMac is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: May 2006
Member: #18002
The NBA has told players it could void contracts of players injured while playing during the lockout, but rookies are not under contract.

I still have a contract with Benetton, Motiejunas, the 20th player taken in the NBA Draft last week, said. They told me if I want to leave in the middle of the season when the team that took me, Houston, wants me, they would let me go. That will be no problem.

dobro1229 is offline Old 06-30-2011, 09:51 PM   #11
dobro1229
Contributing Member
dobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45354
Its a good sign that Treviso has communicated that Donatas can leave the team half season even though it is unlikely the case. Shows that both sides have had good communication throughout the draft process.

The only negative thing that can happen is him getting sucked into a long term contract overthere, but it seems like he is already showing some loyalty to Houston.

If he can play another season over there it will only help his progression for next season. I would have liked to see him play this year, but it looks like we arent going to have much of a season this year.

-On a side note, I would love to see, not just the euro players, but big name players like Lebron, Wade, Kobe, etc. take a short contract overseas to play next winter, even if its just to play 15 minutes.

Of course the high earners wont want to risk their NBA contracts because of injury, but look at it this way... They are going to play basketball in the next 6 months, some way some how... they might as well get paid for it. I say some of them take the risk, play a few games, increase the NBA brand, and rub it in Sterns face.

BimaThug is offline Old 06-30-2011, 10:02 PM   #12
BimaThug
Contributing Member
BimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobro1229 View Post
Its a good sign that Treviso has communicated that Donatas can leave the team half season even though it is unlikely the case. Shows that both sides have had good communication throughout the draft process.

The only negative thing that can happen is him getting sucked into a long term contract overthere, but it seems like he is already showing some loyalty to Houston.

If he can play another season over there it will only help his progression for next season. I would have liked to see him play this year, but it looks like we arent going to have much of a season this year.

-On a side note, I would love to see, not just the euro players, but big name players like Lebron, Wade, Kobe, etc. take a short contract overseas to play next winter, even if its just to play 15 minutes.

Of course the high earners wont want to risk their NBA contracts because of injury, but look at it this way... They are going to play basketball in the next 6 months, some way some how... they might as well get paid for it. I say some of them take the risk, play a few games, increase the NBA brand, and rub it in Sterns face.
NBA players currently under contract cannot play overseas without a letter of clearance. They won't get one.

Xsatyr is offline Old 06-30-2011, 10:31 PM   #13
Xsatyr
Xsatyr is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineXsatyr is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineXsatyr is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #37097
I think it is better to play with some team, to get more minutes and more experience, more toughness, more energy and more toughness, than to come here and see how others play.

Some might say that is redundant, I think he just really wants to be tough. I like that.

dobro1229 is offline Old 06-30-2011, 10:41 PM   #14
dobro1229
Contributing Member
dobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsdobro1229 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45354
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimaThug View Post
NBA players currently under contract cannot play overseas without a letter of clearance. They won't get one.
interesting... Ive heard alot of players, even Kobe say that they will try and play overseas due to the lockout... Can you elaborate a little bit more on the rules and if there is a chance at all for certain players other than draftees to play overseas on a short term deal?

Or were they just talking out their you know what?

BimaThug is offline Old 06-30-2011, 10:59 PM   #15
BimaThug
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobro1229 View Post
interesting... Ive heard alot of players, even Kobe say that they will try and play overseas due to the lockout... Can you elaborate a little bit more on the rules and if there is a chance at all for certain players other than draftees to play overseas on a short term deal?

Or were they just talking out their you know what?
FIBA is the governing body for basketball among leagues. There is reciprocity among leagues that you can't sign a player under contract in another league without a letter of clearance from FIBA. That's why foreign players have to work out buyouts with their clubs. FIBA will likely not approve any NBA player still under contract from signing overseas. For instance, what if the lockout ends? The instant it ends, that player is under contract in two leagues at once!

At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works. I'd be lying if I said I was 100% certain on this.

CCorn is offline Old 06-30-2011, 11:20 PM   #16
CCorn
Contributing Member
CCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Dec 2010
Member: #47978
Quote:
FIBA is the governing body for basketball among leagues. There is reciprocity among leagues that you can't sign a player under contract in another league without a letter of clearance from FIBA. That's why foreign players have to work out buyouts with their clubs. FIBA will likely not approve any NBA player still under contract from signing overseas. For instance, what if the lockout ends? The instant it ends, that player is under contract in two leagues at once!

At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works. I'd be lying if I said I was 100% certain on this.
Aww Lebron was going to go win a win a ring in Europe.

Occupy Unsorted

Rudyc281 is offline Old 06-30-2011, 11:27 PM   #17
Rudyc281
Rudyc281 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jun 2011
Member: #49114
D-mo will continue 2 get better and better can't wait to see him play with us so we can see d12 trying 2 catch him lol

daspydamayn is offline Old 07-01-2011, 12:10 AM   #18
daspydamayn
daspydamayn is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Feb 2008
Member: #30296
thats awesome news.

so is the d-league season gonna happen this year? or is it in lockout too? itd be good for our other rookies to get some burn too.

OHMSS is offline Old 07-01-2011, 12:38 AM   #19
OHMSS
Rookie
OHMSS is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Apr 2009
Member: #41067
Quote:

FIBA has never in its history honored any contracts which are not being paid by the team. Including those from the NBA, which is what a lockout (not a strike) falls under. FIBA certainly will not block an NBA player from signing in another league, when he is not getting paid by the choice of his NBA team.

Chris Jent MVP is offline Old 07-01-2011, 02:38 AM   #20
Chris Jent MVP
Chris Jent MVP is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodChris Jent MVP is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: May 2011
Member: #48939
yea ... how can they say that they are under contract, when the contracts are not being honored ??? seems like the contracts are temporarily voided in that case ... so they should be able to sign a new contract with a different league, with the caveat that the new contract will be terminated the same second that the lockout ends.

the only reason Lin is getting votes is because he has a giant following in Asia