1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Taking My Talents To South Beach

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kwame, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

No, really, I'm going to Miami for the first time ever for 6 days later this week. I've never been, but we're staying right on South Beach. I'm assuming it's going to be a little like Las Vegas (lots of tourists, expensive, etc...) minus the shows and gambling, but with a beach instead. I don't have any real plans other than to relax, go to some nice restaurants, a club or bar or two, and chill at the beach.

Are there any places I should see or any other fun things I should do?

I did some research, but I thought I would ask the Clutchfans nation as well. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I used the search function and not much came up regarding vacationing in Miami on Clutchfans. I'm not sure if I searched thoroughly or not though.

#1 Kwame, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. TISNF

TISNF Member

Random thoughts:

If you want to have a great meal (expensive) in a casual environment, check out Joe's Take-Away (next to the restaurant at the tip of South Beach). It's within walking distance (I'll presume you'll be staying somewhere between 5th and ~23rd, which is near where the W is).

The crab claws are in season and they're phenomenal (go with a friend and splurge for the jumbo). Yes it's expensive, but well worth it, considering you can't get them fresh anywhere else in the States.

Chances are you'll be in Miami Beach for the duration of your stay, considering transportation to downtown and other parts (Coconut Grove; Coral Gables) is pathetically bad. There's really not a whole lot to see in downtown, though: Bayside has shops and restaurants (like a smaller version of Baltimore's Inner Harbor), and is right across from the AAA. Coconut Grove is the best place for a more-relaxed bar scene.

Around Miami Beach, like you said you'll see a lot of tourists, beautiful women. For a nice, affordable snack in a great location, Le Sandwicherie (~14th street) is the place. Filling and the drinks are refreshing.

Regarding nightlife...depends on your interest in clubbing. That's stuff you can figure out when you arrive. When I went out on the Beach I used to start at Wet Willie's; $10 drinks, but they get you going.

I would even consider stopping in for a drink at a nice hotel bar (Clevelander with its poolside bar; you should also walk around the impressive Fontainebleau, Eden Roc, or W depending on where you are).

1 person likes this.
  3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I'm surprised we haven't made "Taking My Talents to ....." the new "Looks Like I'm Going To...."

4. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

I live down here in Miami. If your over 21 definitely hit the clubs up since they're the best in the world. (Opium, LIV, Clevelander, Space, Mansion, Club Nikki)

Rent some jet ski's although they're pretty expensive. Hit the beach, have breakfast at Ocean Drive. Try and visit star island. Visit Dolphin Malls, by far the largest mall i've ever been too. It has Buffalo Wild Wings, Dave and Busters and a huge bass pro shop. Coconut Grove is very nice too and has a ton of bars. Go to bayside, it's right next to the AAA and if you get lucky Lebron and Wade usually chill around there, they also go to Mansion a lot.

If you have any questions let me know.

1 person likes this.
  5. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Well I'm riding West.

.....wait.

6. Kwame

Thanks...Repped.

Thanks...Repped as well.

How do the clubs work? Is it like Las Vegas where you either have to have girls with you to get in relatively easily or tip the guy at the front or know somebody or get bottle service? It's just me and a couple of other guys. Should we just get there early and hope for the best? Any club stand out more than the others?

7. The Joker

The Joker Member

I live down here as well, if your gonna get bottle service get to the clubs anytime you like. If you're not gonna get bottle service, having a few girls with you doesnt hurt. And for me, LIV is the best of those mentioned. Also, I suggest trying downtown fort. lauderdale. Several good clubs and bars within walking distance of each other.

1 person likes this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I would suggest going to Coconut Grove for a coffee/breakfast/brunch, and to Key Biscayne for the beach. If you don't mind a longer drive, you could drive down to Key West, it is kind of a scenic drive. Or check out one of the Alligator farms in the Everglades.

1 person likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Miami is vastly over rated and very expensive. The night life is fun if you have money and know someone well connected (I do, you do not)... so have fun at the mall and walking around the very crowded beach.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I agree with the over rated part...and I'll even carry that onto the nightlife. Ive made a few trips out there...been to the best clubs, done the bottle service thing...just never meets expectations. Houston has better nightlife.

11. Kwame

Thanks...Repped

Edit: TracyMacAddidas and The Joker, what's the weather like right now there in Miami? Online it says scattered thunderstorms, but those reports are not always accurate.

Thanks, I'll check out Coconut Grove. I've heard good things about it.
    R.....e....p...p...e...d...It was tough, but I did it.

Then you should've stayed your angry ass at home, lol. Neg Rep for you...BigTexx style.

I doubt it.

#11 Kwame, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  12. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

2 places I'd recommend to grub at is Puerto Sagua (Cuban) and The Big Pink Cafe. Those were suggested to me by a customer I worked with, very good food at both places.

1 person likes this.
  13. rezdawg

Why do you doubt it?

Here's the lineup in Houston:

Wednesday - Avenue
    Thursday - Roosevelt
    Friday - Roak
    Saturday - Red Door, Red Room
    Sunday - Hudson, Sanctuary, 5th Amendment, Nox
    Monday - Vintage Lounge

There are also multiple other places and scenarios to check out.

Houston nightlife is on fire right now...definitely has a current edge over Miami. Miami has the beach, which is the major appeal, but strictly from a nightlife point of view, its playing second fiddle to Htown.

#13 rezdawg, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  14. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DI9WivRRD4w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

make sure you dont walk ur dog around any old white dudes property

15. Obito

Nah the clubs down here are always packed with females so you don't need that 2 girls with 1 guy thing. Bouncers are veryyyy hard to phase down here so if you want a good spot, go early. There will be lines.

Yes some do stand out but it depends on what music and enviro you like.

Liv and Opium are generally House clubs and a lotta famous DJs go there especially LIV. (Afrojack, Laidback Luke, Steve Aoki, Tiesto was there last weekend I think?)

However Mansion and Space are very complete overall. Those two clubs may be the best two clubs in the world and I've been to Ibiza and Brasil.

Club Nikki and the Clevelander are more of a chill outside lounge type clubs but the Clevelander is a must go, right on ocean drive.

As a previous poster said, Wet willies is the place if you want drinks. That **** is serving drinks 24/7. I love Wet Willies to pre game.

I love Houston but Miami has the best nightlife, clubs, women. Sorry, it's no contest.

16. rezdawg

Mansion used to be one of the best clubs in the nation...but its straight ghetto now. Definitely does not compare to many of the clubs today.

Space has some hotties, although, theyre all drugged up and in rave mode at that point of the night circa 4 am. Not exactly quality...but still fun nonetheless.

EDIT:

The one club that Miami has that is excellent is LIV and Set is good too...everything else is overrated. The women are also overrated.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kwame is originally from Houston, I'm sure he's been to these places.

Plus, Will Smith wrote a song about Miami
    <iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zPuj_wuq_uY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  18. rezdawg

Unless he's been here in the last year, I doubt he's even heard of most of the ones I listed.

Houston doesnt have the massive places where you jam pack 2000 people into a room and blow their eardrums out. Those kind of places dont equate to "great" nightlife. Notice how the best clubs in Vegas right now (XS and Marquee) have shifted away from that pattern and give patrons the ability to get away from chaos...you dont have that option in Miami...which is not good if you are over the age of 22.

19. Obito

Mansion got a bad rap because rappers like Drake and Wayne started going there but I've never had problems there til this day.

The women are not overrated at all idk what you're smoking bro. I went to see Afojack at LIV last month (he's there on Wednesday again) and I've never seen so many light eyed, tan skin beauties. Miami is full of fine b****es and if you play your cards right, they're dtf.

LIV is gorgeous.

http://www.livnightclub.com/index.php/main/index

When I say they have a headlining DJ almost every weekend, I'm not joking.

Afrojack, Benny Benassi and Kaskade all in one week. ****ing crazy.

20. rezdawg

I said that LIV is excellent...but there isnt much after that. These clubs just see how many people can fit in a small space. Thats not a good thing...at least not for an "older" crowd (late 20's, early 30's). Places like Vegas, LA, NY...they all cater to those crowds...but Miami doesnt really do that. Thats why I had fun in Miami during my college years, but I find it more annoying than fun nowadays.

1 person likes this.