1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[FWIW] Courtney Lee tells Magic fan he wants to sign with Orlando

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketDonut, Jun 19, 2011.

1. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

OK, so I'm listening to the Relevant Podcast and two of the hosts are huge Orlando Magic fans. One of them says he runs into Courtney Lee at a restaurant and he strikes up a conversation with him. During the course of the conversation CLee mentions he wants to sign with the Magic next year when he's a free agent. That's all the host says and moves on.

This took place in Orlando so I don't know if he said it because they were fans and he was making conversation or if this is something he truly wants.

That's pretty much all the context we get from this conversation. I know it's not much but it looks like this might be a long summer and we need something to talk about.

I've tried to embed the pertinent clip below but if that doesn't work, here's a link to where I uploaded it.

http://soundcloud.com/joelcard/relevant-podcast-courtney-lee

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F17475094"></param> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F17475094" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href="http://soundcloud.com/joelcard/relevant-podcast-courtney-lee">Relevant Podcast Courtney Lee</a></span>

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

A superstar like CLee wants to play with a superstar like DHoward.

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I was hoping that Lee might help in getting Howard here, since they're best friends. Wishful thinking I guess.

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Lee or Martin probably need to go, just to help even out the roster. Martin can probably get you more but CLee is probably a very well regarded asset around the league.

5. RocketDonut

Taking his talents to the Magic Kingdom?

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I wouldn't worry too much about this. He enjoyed his time in Orlando and I'm sure he was just being nice to a fan. The Magic could look a lot different next year if they deal Dwight.

IIRC, Carl Landry had said similar things about Houston. But with Scola/Patterson and to a lesser extent Hill, I just don't see the point in signing Carl back.

That's funny because the reason for trading for Lee was to even out the roster. Now we need to even it out again! :)

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Please don't leave Courtney. :(
    Dude might not put up 20 points every night, but he's a very nice player...

8. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I'm sure it was taken out of context. Courtney probably said something like, "I would consider coming back to Orlando next year." or "I wouldn't mind coming back to Orlando next year."

9. Houston_Rockets

CLee playing mind games with Howard........ to join us :cool:

PeAcE

10. delishman

delishman Member

Ahh I was hoping you'd stay around a little longer. Adios my friend.

1 person likes this.
  11. opticon

opticon Member

The new CBA may change the way Morey operates. DM's past M.O. has been if he is not going to resign you as a restricted fee agent he trades you before that period begins.

Lee will be traded before he out right rounds with another team, if the rockets can't get a deal with him done.

12. Prince

Prince Member

it all started with signing a super star McHale....

13. mikol13

Supporting Member

Makes sense, but I'm sure making it to the finals with Howard has something to do with it as well. I'm sure Lee and Howard talk, Lee probably knows if Howard truly wants to leave or if it's posturing to make the team better. I'd be completely shocked if Orlando even considers trading Howard.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He knows Orlando pays Big money to role players

Signed,
    [​IMG]

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Cool story!

Would read again. :p

If he goes, he goes. If he stays, he stays. Whadya gonna do?!

16. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Lee was playing some great ball towards the end of last season. But he's just a role player. Those guys come and go.

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Really??? Based on what? Aaron Brooks?

The two biggest offseason moves last summer were the signing of Luis Scola and matching the offer sheet on Kyle Lowry, both restricted free agents. Two summers before that, the Rockets matched the Bobcats' offer sheet to Carl Landry.

If anything, Brooks was the exception to the Rockets policy on restricted free agents.

P.S. Lee is restricted, and Orlando is WAYYY over the cap. Morey would GLADLY match any offer sheet the Magic could afford to give to Lee.

18. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Sure, let's trade him for Howard!!!

19. RocketDonut

Haha, thanks! The Rockets could try to get something for him, a la the Battier trade.

20. mikol13

Supporting Member

For the record, I'm not worried if he stays or goes, I was just saying.