1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Durant really that much better than Tmac?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by YallMean, May 20, 2011.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

Durant's playing style really reminds me of Tmac's. They have similar body-builds, take similar shots, and even Durant admitted that he was told to copy Tmac when he was in high school.
    However, while Durant is having moderate success in this year's playoff so far, Tmac in his prime with us never made out the first round. This makes me wonder if it is because Durant is better than Tmac, which I doubt. Does Durant have better team than Tmac then? Even if we argue Yao and the rest were not as good as Westbrook, Hayden and company, which I again doubt, still, the difference can't be first round exits and western conference final hopeful.
    So this leads me to think west has gotten weak. I think Dallas of this year is not even as good as the Dallas we played in 2005. The point is that Durant is really lucky in catching a weak west in his prime.

2. plates300

plates300 Member

seriously? I'm not a tmac fan but McGrady skill wise was beyond anything Durant could be. At the moment, Durant's team is better than anything that McGrady. Durant doesn't have anywhere near the handles or court vision that tmac had.

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

I agree Tmac's play making ability was way better.

Tmac didn't play well enough with Yao then and Magic was right in saying that on TNT.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, because he is a much better teamate and person.

DD

5. choujie

choujie Member

Tmac played well enough with Yao when he was healthy. His insane performance in playoff almost lift Rockets past Mavs.

Too bad the team in general wasn't good enough when you have Ryan Bowen starting at 4.

6. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Tmac in the playoffs was a beast. Far more impressive and dominant than Durant has been this post season. Not sure why you think Durant is having better success in this years playoffs other than the fact his team is better.

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

IIRC
    We had Yao, Bowen, Battier, Rafer - JHo, Wesley, Sura?
    Thunders Westbrook, sefolosha, Ibaka, Perkins - Hayden, Meanor, Collison

So take both Tmac and Durant out of their respective lineups and insert equal 3 as a replacement, I think we would still beat the Thunders or a least have a close fight.

8. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

Durant's in WCF, TMac has yet to pass 1st round. Durant can retire today and still achieve more than TMac career wise.

9. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Durant isn't even in his prime, yet. He is barely older than a college senior. He still has quite a bit to learn about the league. Most superstars don't start collecting rings until 25-30 yrs of age, when they have peaked. Then, they start dropping quickly at 32-35 yrs of age.

10. YallMean

YallMean Member

Agreed. He is going to only get better. That's scary.

11. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

McGrady's little crybaby act makes people forget how incredible the guy truly was in Orlando and early on here. Saying that, Durant is catching up rapidly and throw in his persona...scary indeed.

#11 rockets934life, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011
  12. Lowry4three

Lowry4three Member

The difference is that Durant's only responsibility is the score and play good defense, on the other hand McGrady was single handedly carrying the Rockets for several post-seasons. He was not only responsible to score, he also had to create of others due to the lack of another play-maker while being double-teamed most the possessions, and shut down Dirk on the other end of the floor.
    I do have to give credit to Durant being a great scorer with his slashing,shooting, and drawing fouls, but overall McGrady was the better and most consistent player during the post-season.

13. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i remember hearing in an interview that he idolized t-mac's game and tries to model his style of playing after his.

but t-mac was much more talented than durant

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

One is a chucker that shoots 43 percent from the field and 33 from behind the 3 pt line that avoids contact. The other is a chucker who shoots 46 percent from the line and 37 percent from the 3 that is one of the best at getting to the free throw line. Which one would want on your team?

15. krnxsnoopy

By your logic, Robert Horry accomplished more in his career than Charles Barkley, John Stockton, Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Kidd, Allen Iverson, Patrick Ewing, Elgin Baylor, Karl Malone. All who never won a title.

1 person likes this.
  16. krnxsnoopy

Oh let me throw in Dominique Wilkins as well.

17. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I think you guys are forgetting how well Yao played in the regular season and how bad he played in the post season with T-Mac. Part of it had to do with the way they officiated him. It actually hurt to have him on the floor at times because of it. Giving him the ball meant losing the possession.

18. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

A prime Tracy is a lot better than Durant, but to be fair Durant isnt in his prime yet.

19. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

How do you know Durant is a better person?

20. YallMean

YallMean Member

I like the one averaging 7 dishes, 31 points over the other with an abysmal 3 assists a game.