ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Look who's back: Rockets sign Trevor Ariza to a four-year, $32M deal

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

[ClutchFans] Potential trade targets include Nene, Granger
Tags:  basketball, clutchfans, danny granger, houston rockets, nba, nene, trade Tags
Clutch is offline Old 02-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #1
http://rockets.clutchfans.net/1229/r...-nene-granger/

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

Sponsored Link
larsv8 is offline Old 02-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
larsv8
Contributing Member
larsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemlarsv8 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Nov 2007
Member: #28004
Nice!

Morey is smarter, more aggressive and actually gets big stars that he didn't draft. The odds are against us now. Our FO just doesn't compare to theirs. We can beat them in the draft but the Bulls have never traded for a player as good as Harden or signed a player as good as Howard.

mario_v is offline Old 02-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
mario_v
mario_v is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodmario_v is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32456
That's a good read, Clutch. Hope we can land Nene, we'll make the playoffs with him for sure.

emjohn is offline Old 02-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
emjohn
Contributing Member
emjohn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeememjohn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeememjohn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeememjohn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeememjohn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeememjohn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeememjohn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeememjohn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeememjohn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeememjohn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeememjohn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #6332
I just hope we clear out a ton of dead wood....quick. This year has somehow been tougher on me than last year, despite McCancer being gone.

“There's a difference between interest and commitment. When you're interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstance permit. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results.”

NIKEstrad is offline Old 02-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
NIKEstrad
Contributing Member
NIKEstrad is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereNIKEstrad is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereNIKEstrad is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereNIKEstrad is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereNIKEstrad is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereNIKEstrad is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereNIKEstrad is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Mar 2000
Member: #1350
Awesome, thanks for the info Clutch!

I like Granger and Nene both...but I have a hard time seeing a deal where either would drastically change the outlook of this team. Best case scenario, it's a Pistons lite model. Part of what made the Pistons so tough was their fierce defense to go with a set of good but not individually great offensive players. Mixing in Granger and/or Nene to a team with Scola and Martin is likely better than that Detroit team offensively, but nowhere near its equal on defense.

It's a shame...back when we first put together T-Mac and Yao, we couldn't pull together a group of half decent depth to surround them. Now, we've got all the quality #3-5 options we can fathom, and even a guy I'd say can be a #2 in Martin, but we can't get the ace.

"They gave me some medicine to make everything go away. I was not worried, not at all. I just wanted to make sure I was feeling good. The doctors, they care about me. Gave me a little lollipop, a little candy, some gum and some coloring books...I had a lot of fun playing the maze today." -- Ron Artest on going to the doctor for a stomach virus before Game 6 v. LA

Deckard is online now Old 02-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
Deckard
Contributing Member
Deckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDeckard is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 2002
Member: #3612
Excellent read! Do you get the sense that talks are heating up, and who we might be offering? And can we get both??

rockets934life is offline Old 02-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #7
rockets934life
Contributing Member
rockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Nov 2007
Member: #28025
Love to have Nene in the middle but knowing Morey, dude is going after Granger. Provides the type of player that can complement Martin and Scola nicely. If you can add Granger and also pickup a Dalembert on the cheap...business would pick up!

“We were all told by the league he was a tradeable player, and now they’re saying that Dell doesn’t have the authority to make the trade?” said an NBA executive who had periodic talks with New Orleans throughout the process. “Now they’re saying that Dell is an idiot, that he can’t do his job. [Expletive] this whole thing. David’s drunk on power, and he doesn’t give a [expletive] about the players, and he doesn’t give a [expletive] about the hundreds of hours the teams put in to make that deal"

Artie_Fufkin is offline Old 02-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
Artie_Fufkin
Artie_Fufkin is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodArtie_Fufkin is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 2010
Member: #46428
Nice intro. Good read. Picking up either of those two would surpass my expectations of what we'll look like after the deadline.

JayZ750 is offline Old 02-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #9
JayZ750
Contributing Member
JayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: May 2000
Member: #1462
Quote:
For the first time since before the Ralph Sampson coin toss of 1983, the Rockets (24-28) are sailing NBA waters without a perceived franchise player on board.
I'm not a fan of crossing your fingers and hoping you land a Lebron/Durant/Griffin whatever type player in the draft, so would be happy to somehow keep Scola, Marting and Lowry while adding Nene and Granger. That becomes a formidable, balanced lineup.

But, I don't think it really addresses the "franchise player" issue. It turns you into a Detroit Pistons like championship team. Which again, is light years better than what they've currently got... and there isn't exactly any true star players to be had.

It's a tough spot for Morey for sure. You'd be locked into both Martin and Granger at $12 million + for another few years. Nene will likely opt into his $11 million next year, and then you'd have very limited cap flexibility going forward when adding Scola and Lowry's contracts (and the new CBA). And to accomplish the above you likely give up some of your younger talent (AB, Bud, Hill, Patterson), expiring trade chips (Yao, Battier, Jeffries) and draft picks. So can you improve beyond those moves?

Last edited by JayZ750; 02-07-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Stevierebel is offline Old 02-07-2011, 11:18 AM   #10
Stevierebel
Contributing Member
Stevierebel is Omer Asik -- working the boardsStevierebel is Omer Asik -- working the boardsStevierebel is Omer Asik -- working the boardsStevierebel is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jan 2001
Member: #2138
Guess the cat's out. I'm just ready for the Melo domino to fall.

Nene and/or Granger would be a great addition.

Achilleus is offline Old 02-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #11
Achilleus
Achilleus is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Aug 2003
Member: #13855
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZ750
...so would be happy to somehow keep Scola, Marting and Lowry while adding Nene and Granger.
Who are you trading to get both?

Raven is offline Old 02-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #12
Raven
Raven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #6153
Nene and Granger won't get us closer to the Finals, nor will they be able to recruit the type of players who can.

baller4life315 is offline Old 02-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #13
baller4life315
Contributing Member
baller4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsballer4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsballer4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsballer4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsballer4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Sep 2003
Member: #13882
Thanks for posting, Clutch.

It's definitely great to get a nice feel for what kind of deals Morey is leaning towards. I know a lot can happen between now and then (both expected and unexpected), but this definitely helps get a feel for the type of direction they have in mind.

worzel gummidge is offline Old 02-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #14
worzel gummidge
worzel gummidge is Omer Asik -- working the boardsworzel gummidge is Omer Asik -- working the boardsworzel gummidge is Omer Asik -- working the boardsworzel gummidge is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Sep 2008
Member: #33905
Pacers are currently 8th in the East.

Top 8 seed + Larry Bird in last year of his contract = Bird looking to add pieces for a playoff push.

JayZ750 is offline Old 02-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #15
JayZ750
Contributing Member
JayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereJayZ750 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: May 2000
Member: #1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilleus
Who are you trading to get both?
?? I guess that's Morey's job.

But, these would work:

Jeffries, Hayes, AB plus picks/filler to Denver for Nene. Salary dump move plus picking up options to resign two players who could be useful (AB, Hayes) and draft picks.

Battier, Budinger, Hill, Patterson plus picks/filler to Indiana for Granger, Jones. Again, salary dump move for Indiana plus 3 young players and picks/filler. They also get rid of Dahntay Jones, who isn't very useful and has another year left on his contract.

The Rockets lineup becomes:

Lowry/Ish
Martin/Lee/Jones
Granger/?? (T. Williams, Lee, Jones)
Scola/??
Nene/Miller

Definitely created some roster holes, but then you still have Yao's expiring to trade if you need to. Perhaps you could swing something like Yao for Jamison, Leon Powe from the Cavs as a pure salary dump move for them. Not saying this is what you'd want to do, and it would put you in salary cap hell for 2 years, but if you're going to try and go for it, you never know.

Then you'd have:

Lowry/Ish
Martin/Lee/Jones
Granger/Jamison (T. Williams)
Scola/Jamison/Powe
Nene/B. Miller

i just pulled all of the above out of thin air, mind you...not a lot of serious thought, but who knows...?

tinman is offline Old 02-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #16
tinman
Contributing Member
tinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: May 1999
Member: #485
they would both fit well on the Rockets.

DonnyMost is offline Old 02-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #17
DonnyMost
Contributing Member
DonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: May 2003
Member: #12152

"The reality is, if you want to win the title, you have to be the team that finds the Chandler Parsons'... not the [team] who gives the Chandler Parsons' max contracts."

mikol13 is offline Old 02-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #18
mikol13
Contributing Member
mikol13 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donemikol13 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donemikol13 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donemikol13 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donemikol13 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donemikol13 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: May 2009
Member: #42553
Thanks clutch, finally something not just thrown against the wall.

Both players make the team better if the Rockets don't have to trade away the bulk of their core IMO. If the Rockets are shipping out say, Brooks, Scola Battier, Hill and or Pat plus picks (hypothetical of course) I'm not sure it makes the team any better.

The trade deadline can't get here fast enough.

the_hustler is offline Old 02-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #19
the_hustler
the_hustler is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Nov 2008
Member: #35832
How good or bad is Granger's D?

jjc1 is offline Old 02-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #20
jjc1
jjc1 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #35086
Thanks Clutch! I think we have a better chance getting Nene. Indiana just got the 8th seed back in the East and are playing well under the new coach. They will have a hard time telling their fans that they are trading their only all star Granger.