1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The all-encompassing Carmelo Anthony thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jan 19, 2011.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

No telling when there might be an end in sight to 'Melodrama.

The latest: Anthony's agent courting the Bulls

2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

If Melo makes it to Chicago, it's going to be over - the only thing that will hold that team back is health of it's bigs(Noah & Boozer).

PG - Rose
    SG - Brewer/Bogans
    SF- Melo
    PF - Boozer
    C- Noah

bench is Asik, Korver, CJ watson, and Taj Gibson(who would likely be involved in a trade if Melo comes)

....that's a really good team - especially if they can keep up the defensive play.

Obviously the Bulls don't have much to give up though to make it happen but if a 3rd team squeezed in with some picks, I bet this trade could happen.

If I'm the Bulls, I want to get Melo, have to get rid of Deng, and want to get rid of Boozer but Taj will likely be the more desirable player in a trade.
    Denver would probably settle for Taj, one other decent player(Deng is nice, but paid too much), and a few lotto picks - obviously that's not something Chicago can offer...but a 3rd team?

...so here is where the speculation of a 3rd team comes in:
    Bulls - get Melo
    Denver - gets Omri Casspi, Kurt Thomas, and Taj Gibson, a 1st round draft pick from Chicago, a huge trade exception
    Sacramento - gets Deng

I hear the Kings are dangling Omri. Deng isn't a huge score, but he certainly has more skills than Casspi's one dimension and Deng is still relatively young. Deng is considerably more expensive but the Maloofs can afford to pay him for a few years since they have so many young players on their rookie contracts right now. If your convinced Omri isn't going to do that much more development, then Deng is an upgrade at a cost.

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

That might actually work, since the Kings would still have a ton of cap space even after taking on Deng. A Bulls-Heat rivalry would be fun to watch.

4. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

I think the Bulls need to pull a third team in here to get more assets and give up lots of picks in order to make a tempting offer. Deng is a good sf but his contract is too big. He still has 3 years left (not including this year) on his contract with 13mil a year on avg. That one contract is a show stopper.

They need to find a team that's willing to take Deng's contract, provide 1-2 young players + at least 1 first round pick, along with that, all their expirings(2.5mil in Kurt Thomas and Scalabriane) + Taj Gibson + 1 non-protected first round pick, 2 second round pick + Watson/Korver and prepare to take some worse contracts.

Just dont see it happening..Melo is going to NYC.

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Here's another thought about this Melo drama. Wasn't Melo's "rep" not too long ago that he was talented but surrounded by knucklehead friends that held him back professionally? I seem to remember around the summer Olympics when everyone was surprised at how well Melo handled himself and the story was something about Worldwide Wes pulling him aside and having a heart to heart about how he needed to cut loose of his old friends who were putting him in a position that hurt his brand.

That was what - two years ago? I'm just saying, does it really seem like a good idea for NY to bring Melo back to the people who got him in trouble earlier in his career? Add to that the fact that Melo's biggest strength(scoring) happens to be the one area New York is NOT in need of help....add to that the fact any transaction bringing Melo to NY would likely strip them of any depth whatsoever leaving them in a Miami Heat type scenario - only with lesser stars. Outside of going to place with a legit SF(Miami, OKC, etc), I would argue NY is probably the worst place for Melo.

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

7. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

So.. As expected Melo is going be a Knick next season

9. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Nets owner saying the deal has taken too long and it too expensive for the Nets.

Says AK47 is the best Russian player.

He cannot say anything about changing the team name per NBA rules.

Decision to go after Melo was a pure basketball decision, not marketing.

Says he did not receive any direct direction regarding permission to talk to Melo.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Damn, I really hope Morey doesn't succeed in getting Melo now that Nets don't want/gave up on him. I dont understand why Morey would want a rental even if he thinks he can get something good when he eventually leaves to NY in a sign and trade.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Prokhorov is on TV now answering questions about the decision to walk away from the trade. "Everything is too expensive. It's taking too long."

His Russian accent make it sound like he is ordering hits on members of the Denver front office and Carmelo's agent as soon as he leaves the room.

1 person likes this.
  12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Who his Russian translator? Chick is really bossy.

13. anchel

anchel Member

We are getting closer.

14. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Poor Melo, he is going to be looking over his shoulder the rest of his life. He probably only feigned interest in the Nets all along to protect his family.

15. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

I'm glad Prokhorov came out and ended it, that's what I would have done.

The Nuggets really sound like they have been super greedy in this whole process... there's nothing wrong with being a tough negotiator, but sometimes you bite off more than you can chew. I hope the whole thing backfires on the Nuggets.

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I still think the main reason this trade didn't go down is because Melo himself refuses to sign an extension with any team other than New York

17. lionaire

lionaire Member

Now what about the Rip situation in Detroit?! I can see them being involved in the next big trade really soon.

18. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

Are houston fans ready for Moreys big splash move??? I believe that morey has been planning for this trade for a long time, this is it, time for our savior to come. Morey won't be giving up much like the nets. Time for Denver to go to B plan, 2nd best offer, can that be Houston? Aaron brooks or Kyle is gone, along with battier, assuming if Denver still wants to compete for a playoff spot, then Denver is going to need the kobe or artest stopper in Shane, only question is who else will be going to Denver, along with a first rounder. My guess is Jeffries big expiring contract will be added also, that's 2 expiring big contracts , to go along with brooks or Lowry.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

I cant help but laugh at this :grin: :p

ChrisMannixSI

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

:grin: