ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: The red-hot start for the Houston Rockets

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

Sources: Rockets exploring a Yao Ming trade
Tags:  adrian wojnarowski, basketball, houston, houston rockets, injury, insurance, nba, trade, trades, twitter, yahoo, yao ming Tags
Rockets25 is offline Old 12-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
Rockets25
Rockets25 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45732
UPDATE at 11:44am - Yahoo! story

Quote:
Rockets looking to trade Yao

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

After years of patience and a willingness to wait out injury upon injury with their franchise star, the Houston Rockets are engaged in trade discussions about center Yao Ming with several teams, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The lure of acquiring Yao for potential suitors is the $8 million in savings that insurance will provide for his $17.7 million expiring contract this season. Some teams are considering re-signing Yao on a short-term deal with hopes of restoring him to playing health, while others see his contract as a cost-saving measure.

Once one of the dominant players in the NBA, Yao, 30, will miss the rest of the season with a stress fracture in his left ankle. There are serious questions about his ability to return to the NBA on a full-time basis.

The Rockets are dangling Yao to acquire a good young player with an upside, if not an established talent. Despite offering Yao in trades, the Rockets haven’t ruled out the possibility of re-signing him to a short-term contract extension.

If Yao has surgery to repair the stress fracture, it would keep him out 10 months. After missing just two regular season games in his first three NBA seasons, Yao has missed at least 25 games in five of the past six seasons. He’s played just five games the past two seasons. From a broken leg to stress fractures in his feet, Yao’s lower extremities have struggled to support his 7-foot-6 frame.

According to Adrian Wojnarowski.

Quote:
With lure of insurance offering $8M discount on his expiring $17M salary, Houston exploring Yao Ming trade on several fronts, sources tell Y
http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/19426201156190209

Sponsored Link
MYLEVL is offline Old 12-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
MYLEVL
MYLEVL is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32113
On adraian woj twitter

MYLEVL is offline Old 12-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
MYLEVL
With lure of insurance offering $8M discount on his expiring $17M salary, Houston exploring Yao Ming trade on several fronts, sources tell Y

Turpis is offline Old 12-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
Turpis
Turpis is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodTurpis is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Apr 2009
Member: #39753

With lure of insurance offering $8M discount on his expiring $17M salary, Houston exploring Yao Ming trade on several fronts, sources tell Yless than a minute ago via web

Some teams exploring trade for Yao to re-sign him on short deal, or just get cap relief on his expiring deal, sources say.less than a minute ago via web

thadeus is offline Old 12-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
thadeus
Contributing Member
thadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Sep 2003
Member: #13962
Goddamnit.

I want Yao to retire a Rocket - will wait on more information though before I take this seriously.

shaggylambda is offline Old 12-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #6
shaggylambda
shaggylambda is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #5497
Probably just fielding calls.

rockets934life is offline Old 12-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
rockets934life
Contributing Member
rockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Nov 2007
Member: #28025
DAM....Morey don't play. Honestly SHOCKED.

“We were all told by the league he was a tradeable player, and now they’re saying that Dell doesn’t have the authority to make the trade?” said an NBA executive who had periodic talks with New Orleans throughout the process. “Now they’re saying that Dell is an idiot, that he can’t do his job. [Expletive] this whole thing. David’s drunk on power, and he doesn’t give a [expletive] about the players, and he doesn’t give a [expletive] about the hundreds of hours the teams put in to make that deal"

DaDakota is offline Old 12-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
DaDakota
Contributing Member
DaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 1999
Member: #331
What? THAT IS AWESOME !!!

I was afraid that Les would not allow them to take advantage of Yao's insurance situation, due to Yao's connections into China.

This would be great for the team if they can flip that contract to a team with buyers remorse on a large deal.

DD

DarylMoney is offline Old 12-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
DarylMoney
DarylMoney is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Apr 2010
Member: #46072
I wouldn't be opposed to a trade, buyout, then re-signing him here on the cheap (very cheap) for next year.

RedDragon01 is offline Old 12-27-2010, 11:22 AM   #10
RedDragon01
RedDragon01 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodRedDragon01 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Oct 2009
Member: #43675
If true, this is VERY big news.

MYLEVL is offline Old 12-27-2010, 11:22 AM   #11
MYLEVL
U got it in just b4 me. I'm interested to see who or hat we could flip this for. My guess is Houston is interested in bringing Yao back next season if he is willing to agree on a short term and low cost contract

J.R. is offline Old 12-27-2010, 11:23 AM   #12
J.R.
Contributing Member
J.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldJ.R. is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Member: #32628
Not to discredit Woj but I'll believe it when I see it

Jontro is offline Old 12-27-2010, 11:23 AM   #13
Jontro
Jontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJontro is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45137
I hope we can get some good this time on a trade and not just another role player asset.

My dream of not having to worry about Yao's health is hopefully getting answered soon.

ROXTXIA is offline Old 12-27-2010, 11:23 AM   #14
ROXTXIA
Contributing Member
ROXTXIA is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereROXTXIA is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereROXTXIA is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereROXTXIA is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereROXTXIA is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereROXTXIA is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereROXTXIA is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereROXTXIA is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Apr 2000
Member: #1409
Didn't know Morey/Les would have the b-a-l-l-z.

How long before they deny all of this?

Hakeemtheking is offline Old 12-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #15
Hakeemtheking
Hakeemtheking is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineHakeemtheking is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineHakeemtheking is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #38940
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadeus
Goddamnit.

I want Yao to retire a Rocket - will wait on more information though before I take this seriously.

Why is that? Because he is an awesome guy? Please...

Yao has missed about 50% of games in the last 5 years. After a long, long rehab, Yao lasted all of 7 games for us. He is done.

Players come and go, the franchise is the only permanent fixture.

Commodore is online now Old 12-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #16
Commodore
Contributing Member
Commodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Dec 2007
Member: #28812
I understand the move but my heart would hate to see Yao in anything other than Rockets Red

Pull_Up_3 is offline Old 12-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #17
Pull_Up_3
Pull_Up_3 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPull_Up_3 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPull_Up_3 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPull_Up_3 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPull_Up_3 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPull_Up_3 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Jan 2010
Member: #44820
dam thats sad....but its for the better of the team

Stevierebel is offline Old 12-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #18
Stevierebel
Contributing Member
Stevierebel is Omer Asik -- working the boardsStevierebel is Omer Asik -- working the boardsStevierebel is Omer Asik -- working the boardsStevierebel is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jan 2001
Member: #2138
Don't rebuild... You reload.

greatpacha1 is offline Old 12-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #19
greatpacha1
greatpacha1 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2010
Member: #47305
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylMoney
I wouldn't be opposed to a trade, buyout, then re-signing him here on the cheap (very cheap) for next year.
yea, i agree, but he should retire as a rocket...

Clutch City Representative since 1989

Beard recognize Beard

A!G!G!I!E!S!

Raven is offline Old 12-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #20
Raven
Raven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #6153
Awesome news if true. Yao is a noble warrior, but it's time to move on.