ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
DuBose: Rockets-Blazers: Behind the numbers

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

Official Thread to Restore Sanity
Tags:  basketball, daryl morey, houston rockets, los angeles lakers, nba, nuggets, trade, warriors, yao ming Tags
johnstarks is offline Old 10-31-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
johnstarks
johnstarks is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodjohnstarks is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Feb 2008
Member: #30299
This is a thread for people to talk about the team we have--not the team we fantasize about. It's also for people who recognize that, while there may be some glaring problems, we've still only played 3 games and we've played 6 quarters of good basketball in the Lakers and Nuggets games.

So if you want to talk about how you want Morey to read your post so he'll recognize the genius in your suggestion to trade Taylor for Melo that's fine, but do it in one of the dozens of knee jerk threads elsewhere in the GARM. This thread is for people who don't want to filter through the posts like "Fire Addlmen!!!" or "Trade Yao!" or "Morey's an idiot for using nummers and I failed algerbrar so I don't trust em nummers"

My take is that the Rockets are two different teams with Yao on the floor and without. That's why we're able to put together 3 quarters, but not a full game of good basketball (remember Yao is limited to 3/4 of his normal minutes). It's also why the Warriors put up 132 points on us when he was sitting. The Rockets have an identity when Yao is on the floor. They just need to develop a different one when he's on the bench.

Sponsored Link
Kam is offline Old 10-31-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
Kam
Contributing Member
Kam is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemKam is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemKam is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemKam is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemKam is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemKam is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemKam is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemKam is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemKam is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemKam is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemKam is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jan 2002
Member: #3419
Oh good. I still feel like we can go 79-3.

‹^›ςΏσ‹^›

heypartner is offline Old 10-31-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
heypartner
Contributing Member
heypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Oct 1999
Member: #920
Does anyone else feel a John Starks thread increases sanity?

dude, you really need to change your moniker.

Patience is offline Old 10-31-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
Patience
Contributing Member
Patience is Omer Asik -- working the boardsPatience is Omer Asik -- working the boardsPatience is Omer Asik -- working the boardsPatience is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Apr 2002
Member: #3684
Quote:
Originally Posted by heypartner
Does anyone else feel a John Starks thread increases sanity?

dude, you really need to change your moniker.
John Starks is a Houston legend who was a key player in the Rockets' first championship. Without his shooting in game 7, the Rockets never would have won the game.

So, I think it is a perfectly reasonable moniker for a Rockets fan.

RV6 is offline Old 10-31-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
RV6
Contributing Member
RV6 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRV6 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRV6 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRV6 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRV6 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRV6 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRV6 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRV6 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRV6 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRV6 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemRV6 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Aug 2008
Member: #33459
Good thing this was official, otherwise it wouldn't have worked!

SF3isBack!! is offline Old 10-31-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
SF3isBack!!
SF3isBack!! is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineSF3isBack!! is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #25485
I agree with the OP, in past rockets seasons our team has rarely had the same identity at the end of the season that it had at the beginning. This is a tough start for sure, but starts like this are the reason why I'm such a fan of basketball. We all know that the Rockets are better than this and when they show it this losing streak will make all of our victories that much more sweet. I'm not saying I think we will win it all but i def think second round or conference final appearances are in our future.

- Timberwolves Fan

daeyeth is offline Old 10-31-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
daeyeth
daeyeth is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45305
Is there any reason why you didn't mention the Warriors loss OP?

Cstyle42 is offline Old 10-31-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
Cstyle42
Cstyle42 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodCstyle42 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Member: #33157
Lets wait till after 15 games to see where we are at. All teams play extremely hard in the first 3-4 games of the season. After we get through the first week or the first couple of weeks things calm down guys are back in the groove then you truly see where you at and where you are going. I'm ticked off about the first 3 games... extremely ticked but i have watched enough NBA basketball to know and understand that this is not the end of the season. We still have a legit shot to win the championship. We have the players and the players know that it's up to them to do what they got to do to step up and play to the level and intensity needed to reach to that elite level. A lot of us are emotional and that is understandable. Hell I'm emotional but deep down i still have a lot of faith in this team. There have been years where the Rockets start off #1 in the division and in the Western Conference but ended up seeding behind Dallas and San Antonio making it to the playoffs as a 5th or 6th seed. Not about how you start it's about how you finish!

Russjr2 is offline Old 10-31-2010, 06:53 PM   #9
Russjr2
Contributing Member
Russjr2 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Nov 2007
Member: #27296
We just have to figure out how we are going to play. We are the only team in the league that is having to monitor our superstar player's minutes. We brought in a lot of pieces to play around Yao but now its difficult to figure out roles and rotations with him in and out of the lineup. Then we gotta figure out where Damp is going to fit.

I have faith that Adelman will work those things out in due time. Ok, so we lost 3 games. We all KNEW we would lose around 35 this year anyway. So I don't see the big deal.

In about 2 weeks we will be back on track and all the 'knee-jerkers' will be applauding the team and coach. They will be back to posting about how we will contend this year...

johnstarks is offline Old 10-31-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
johnstarks
johnstarks is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodjohnstarks is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Quote:
Originally Posted by daeyeth
Is there any reason why you didn't mention the Warriors loss OP?
No reason, I was just trying to pretend that it didn't happen by not mentioning it at all, hoping no one would notice our atrocious defense that game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstarks
It's also why the Warriors put up 132 points on us when he was sitting.

SF3isBack!! is offline Old 10-31-2010, 06:55 PM   #11
SF3isBack!!
SF3isBack!! is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineSF3isBack!! is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #25485
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstarks
No reason, I was just trying to pretend that it didn't happen by not mentioning it at all, hoping no one would notice our atrocious defense that game.

It was a back to back game though.

- Timberwolves Fan

johnstarks is offline Old 10-31-2010, 07:12 PM   #12
johnstarks
I think the lack of continuity from Yao's minutes comes on defense and offense. When Yao is in, he helps take away post-play and bothers shots from people who beat their man off the dribble. As a result, perimeter defenders can play up on outside shooters more--taking away their 3 point shots. But, when Yao is out, it forces individual defenders to defend the penetration, so they can't be as aggressive. Miller and Hayes don't provide any shot-blocking deterrence so the other team just needs to beat their man and get in the lane to get a high percentage shot. So when Battier was mismatched by the speedy Ellis, he had to play really far off of him, preventing him from closing on the jump shot--where Battier really got burned.

On offense, when Yao comes out, as long as Scola is in, there's still a low post presence and the outside shooters can play off of him. But, since Scola plays mostly when Yao is in, when he comes out, we just have a bunch of perimeter offensive players w/ no low post presence. I wonder if the offense wouldn't bog down as much if Adelman can put Scola on the floor when Yao sits down.

Malcolm is offline Old 10-31-2010, 08:23 PM   #13
Malcolm
Malcolm is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #34181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience
John Starks is a Houston legend who was a key player in the Rockets' first championship. Without his shooting in game 7, the Rockets never would have won the game.

So, I think it is a perfectly reasonable moniker for a Rockets fan.

I recalled also that the shooting of John Starks in games 4 & 5 also kept them in the series.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...406150NYK.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/...406170NYK.html

da_juice is offline Old 10-31-2010, 08:25 PM   #14
da_juice
da_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneda_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneda_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneda_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneda_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneda_juice is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Dec 2009
Member: #44535
Yao is a game changer, by adding him everyone has to change how they play. It takes time to adjust.

VanityHalfBlack is offline Old 10-31-2010, 08:44 PM   #15
VanityHalfBlack
VanityHalfBlack is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereVanityHalfBlack is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereVanityHalfBlack is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereVanityHalfBlack is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereVanityHalfBlack is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereVanityHalfBlack is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereVanityHalfBlack is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereVanityHalfBlack is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: May 2009
Member: #42029
The Rockets are going to blow out the hornets next game.. I guarantee a 20 point win and everyone will be happy again...

thadeus is offline Old 10-31-2010, 09:06 PM   #16
thadeus
Contributing Member
thadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Sep 2003
Member: #13962
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanityHalfBlack
The Rockets are going to blow out the hornets next game.. I guarantee a 20 point win and everyone will be happy again...
Ok, I will hold you to this guarantee.

brownxmas is offline Old 10-31-2010, 09:07 PM   #17
brownxmas
brownxmas is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #33178
The Rockets can turn it around. I'd still like to see a change in the starting line up and in the rotation, but I'll give them some time. I want the team to be strong at the end of the season and I'm prepared for some growing pains in the beginning. admittedly, for the first time this season, I yelled out "Stop Shooting Threes!" Hopefully that will not be a season long trend for me. oh and along with, What is chuck Hayes Doing out there? ! and Battier is getting roasted on D, what has he done for the offense...zero - Get him out of there! Rockets...still the best pro team in Houston sports.

tmac2k8 is offline Old 10-31-2010, 09:47 PM   #18
tmac2k8
tmac2k8 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #34165
the grizzlies started out 0-6 last year and ended up contending for a playoff spot, caviliers if i remember last year also started out 0-2 or 1-3, something like that and ended up in the playoffs.Not the end of the world. We could be the cowboys and our season woudl be over after 6 losses.

T-Slack is offline Old 10-31-2010, 10:41 PM   #19
T-Slack
T-Slack is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2009
Member: #43038
For reals. Most of you are acting like its the end of the world. Its just a game. Coming in here after a lose just makes it even worse with all the knee jerks thread. Clutch should look into making a sub forum for all those crap. I would actually like to be in the Barnes lottery instead of trying to sneak into the playoffs to be honest.

Btop is offline Old 10-31-2010, 11:01 PM   #20
Btop
Btop is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Sep 2010
Member: #47106
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanityHalfBlack

Great post I predict that the Rocket will win the next 10 games in a row then you guys will calm down save this post and quote me. 10 in a row