1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Rockets.com) Q & A Jermaine Taylor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KingStevo10, Sep 2, 2010.

1. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/q___with_houston_rockets_gua_2010_09_02.html

HOUSTON - With the start of Rockets training camp less than a month away, the Toyota Center practice court is the place to be as players start ramping up the intensity level in an effort to make sure their games are good to go. You see a sharper focus during the various training drills players perform and the competition taking place during the daily scrimmages is certainly heating up as well.

So with the guys getting ready for the 2010-11 season, it's time for us to do our part as well. And what better way to do so than to catch up with the various members of the team to find out what they've been up to this summer? Today Rockets.com sat down with second-year guard Jermaine Taylor.

JCF: What’s the biggest difference in the way you feel right now versus how you felt last year at this time?

JT: I’m a lot more comfortable now. This summer has been really good. I’ve been working out the whole time. Nothing is really going to be new to me now since I’ve gone through it all before. Going into training camp I just want to be in the best shape possible so I’m ready to go.

JCF: Is the game slowing down for you out there?

JT: It’s slowed down a whole lot. The more I play, the more comfortable I get, and I’m starting to get real comfortable. And the more comfortable I am, the slower the game is. I’m able to go out there and instead of rushing through everything, I’m able to actually play, see the floor and see guys open, which allows me to make the right play.

JCF: So you’re seeing a big difference in these daily scrimmages?

JT: Oh yeah, I see a big difference. Last year I was going full-speed with my head down. Now I’m taking what the defense gives me. If it closes in, I’m looking for the extra guy to kick it to and, if not, I’m taking it in and finishing.

JCF: The big key for you offensively seems to be your jumper. In Vegas you got off to a great start the first couple games, but when teams started keeping you out of the paint and forcing you to beat them from the perimeter, you had mixed results. How’s the jump shot coming along?

JT: It’s a lot better. It’s totally different from last year. During summer league I thought I shot the ball pretty good but my confidence wasn’t all the way there. Now my confidence is there and I feel like I can do the one dribble, pull-up shot or just catch it off the dribble and shoot it. I did that a few times in summer league but I was thinking too much and wasn’t really comfortable.

JCF: Is it about altering your form and technique, or is it more a matter of just getting reps and putting up as many shots as you can?

JT: I think it’s a little bit of both. I watched film of myself shooting and I was bringing the ball too far back behind my head. But the more reps I took, I started getting the ball in front of me and I started seeing better results.

JCF: What was the highlight of your rookie season?

JT: It has to be the Laker game. It was my first game to start and I was guarding Kobe Bryant and felt like I did pretty good. It just gave me confidence to show me that I can play and compete and belong on the same court as a team like the Lakers, the NBA champions. I’m just trying to build off of that. I watch that game every now and then to see the things I did wrong and right, so that I can keep improving.

JCF: And what the low point?

JT: I think it was going down to the D-League. Actually, it wasn’t so much going down to the D-League, it was going down, having a few good games, then coming back up and I’m still sitting on the bench. It seemed like nothing was happening. That was probably the only down part. But I understand I have to wait my turn and now I feel like I’m getting a chance so I’m trying to make the most of it.

JCF: Well there are a lot of guys on this team who have had nothing given to them and they’ve had to scratch and claw for every minute they’ve received. What have your teammates told you to try to help you through this experience?

JT: You just have to believe in yourself. There’s a reason why you’re here. And I take that to heart. I wouldn’t be in the NBA if I wasn’t a good player. So I just tried to keep my poise, stay confident and keep working on my game – worked harder in fact than I’ve ever worked before – and it seems like it’s working because I see things coming along for me.

JCF: Is there a player in this league you look at and say, “That’s who I want to model my game after?”

JT: Dwyane Wade. He’s always been one of my favorite players along with Tracy McGrady. I watched D-Wade all through college and love watching his highlights. It’s mostly because we have the same type of game: we’re both slashers who play above the rim. I’m just trying to see how he developed from his rookie year to his sophomore year and just try to follow in his footsteps. He’s a great player – I think one of the best in the league – so why not make him be a role model?

JCF: Have you ever had a chance to talk to him?

JT: Not yet, though I’ve met his father a few times.

JCF: Would you be nervous if the opportunity presented itself?

JT: No, I wouldn’t be nervous. No one really gets me star struck except maybe Beyoncé (laughs).

JCF: So I guess we just uncovered your celebrity crush.

JT: Oh yeah. Either Beyoncé or Keri Hilson. They’re battling.

JCF: That’s a pretty solid top-2. Have you ever had a chance to meet either of them?

JT: I’ve seen Beyoncé at one of her concerts here and I was close enough to go talk to her but I didn’t want to bother her.

JCF: Yeah, you probably don’t want to get on the wrong side of Jay-Z, either.

JT: (laughs) Well that, too.

JCF: Alright well let’s talk a little about life off the court. What do you enjoy doing to sort of relax and chill out besides daydreaming about Beyoncé?

JT: Movies. I go to the movies all the time and I have hundreds of DVDs. I don’t really like to go out too much and party, so I just like sitting home, watching TV, playing games and stuff like that.

JCF: So what movies have you enjoyed lately?

JT: I’ve been watching a lot of old movies – The Five Heartbeats, Boyz n the Hood…

JCF: Boyz n the Hood is a classic. I love that movie.

JT: Oh yeah. I always forget how good they are until I go back and watch them. But now I’m interested in seeing Machete. I have a friend who’s in the movie.

JCF: Really? Who is it?

JT: (laughs) I don’t want to say her name. But the premiere is tonight in Austin so I was thinking about going.

JCF: You mentioned you also play a lot of games?

JT: I just started getting into video games, actually.

JCF: Be careful. It’s a slippery slope. You tell yourself you’re only going to play for an hour and then the next minute you see the sun rising.

JT: Yeah, that’s what I’ve heard. But I’ve been playing Knockout, Madden, NCAA, NBA Live…

JCF: Do you play as yourself when you play NBA Live?

JT: I haven’t yet but all my friends, every time I go home, they’re playing as me. It’s weird, watching yourself on a video game because they have all my tattoos and everything and it looks just like me.

JCF: When you see yourself in a game like that, do you think to yourself, “Wow, I’ve really made it?”

JT: No I don’t because I have big plans and they haven’t even begun yet. I don’t feel like I’ve made it yet – I’m on the way there but I definitely haven’t made it yet.

JCF: What are those big plans?

JT: I want to be one of the best players in the league. I want to be mentioned with LeBron and Dwyane Wade. I know it’s going to take time and a lot of hard work but I’m dedicated and it’s something I really want. I’m just going to try to get there. I don’t have a set goal in terms of when, but I just want to get there before my time is done in this league.

Man i love this guy lol :grin:

2. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

easier to read by clicking the link.

3. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I like JT. I know a lot of people here don't think he'll amount to anything based on his lack of playing time last season, but I think he will. He certainly has the physical tools to be really good and seems to want to put in the work to get better. It's a good combination to have.

4. G-Money

G-Money Member

Let's be realistic here Jermaine....lol

5. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

I know what you mean, but cant a brotha dream lol :)

6. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

Start him over Kevin Martin, JT is just that good.

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I haven't seen that thread yet.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wow!! :eek: Seven posts and no hating from DD yet?? Isn't Jermaine like his worst enemy.

9. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I like his attitude!

--RB

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Me too.

Let's hope he can deal with a crowded roster though.

He may be back with the Rio Grande Vipers...

DD

11. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

It's good to have goals.

:)

12. Hball

Hball Member

Suprised so many nba players had T-mac as or one of their favorite players.

13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Why not? He was a great player when he was healthy, just didn't have the physical or mental fortitude to back up his talent.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What a softie with soft attitude if he really wants to be D. Wade he needs to get himself some STDs like S. Jax and Wade.

15. anchel

anchel Member

Not unrealistic goals. He will be continually disappointed with himself, and continually forcing the issue. Wake up Jermaine, wake up.

16. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

Support the players, homie.

Would you be happier if he said, "I don't really believe in goals or trying for anything. I'm just happy I snuck into the league. Pay me!"

He may never be as good as Wade or McLady, but by trying, he'll at least be as good as he can be. That's all any of us could ask of him.

1 person likes this.
  17. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Or if your son said his goal was to get straight d-'s in school. He wouldn't be in the NBA if goals were always realistic. Hell, how many people in the world are better than him. 200? He's already beat out 100's of millions of people. I like it.

18. Moahst

Moahst Member

I don't think his goals are that stupid. No, he will never get to Dwayne Wade's level but he has all the physical tools to. For JT I feel like he just needs to improve his basketball knowledge and find his role in the offense. Unfortunately I don't see that happening for a couple of years.

19. alethios

alethios Member

There was a time when many thought he was elite.

Alas, JT will not be in the elite status but dammit you gotta love his heart.

20. yaomingyaoming

JT sure has the physical tools....

I'm genuinely curious. What separates someone like JT from a Dwayne Wade. I see his videos on youtube, and he's got hops. Is the difference between him and Dwayne Wade a difference in mentality? attitude? skill set? what?