1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blazers nearly got Paul

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by southernjustice, Jul 13, 2010.

1. southernjustice

southernjustice Contributing Member

they got very close to getting paul
    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/17470/teams-still-pursuing-cp3

Last week, Chris Paul trade talk hit a frenzy before the Hornets went public and stated they had no intention of trading their star point guard.

This week, a league source told me that the Blazers actually made some progress toward landing Paul.

According to the source, the Blazers got close to a deal with the Hornets last week that would’ve sent Andre Miller, Joel Przybilla, Nicolas Batum, Jerryd Bayless and the 22nd pick to New Orelans for Paul and Emeka Okafor before Hornets GM Jeff Bower pulled out of the deal claiming that their owner wasn’t ready to trade Paul.

The Hornets no longer need to trade Paul for financial reasons. The trade they made on draft night with the Oklahoma City Thunder got them out of the luxury tax, so that’s no longer the issue.

The issue is whether Paul is now unhappy enough to force a trade. The Blazers believe he is and will continue to pursue a Paul deal. They won't be alone.

The Magic also have been pursuing Paul and Okafor, offering expiring contracts and Jameer Nelson. And there are two other teams that could offer the Hornets even more.

Both the Knicks and Nets are planning to step up pressure on the Hornets if they don't land LeBron. Both teams have tons of cap space and can offer massive cap relief to the Hornets (to the tune of $100 million) if they take Paul and Okafor off their hands. The Knicks could also offer Danilo Gallinari. The Nets could offer Derrick Favors and Devin Harris.

2. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

wtf???

i understand paul, but why okafor

unless they plan to move Aldridge to the sf position, this doesnt make sense

pg paul
    sg roy/fernandez
    sf aldrige/pendergraph
    pf camby
    C Oden/okafor

that's a nasty ass line up. they would easily be up there with the lakers

3. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

Thank God this trade didn't happen! Blazers would shoot to the top of the West w/ LA.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I would like to get Paul. And I think we have a lot to offer to the Hornets.

5. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Woow, Blazers with Paul would be craaaaazy!

PG: Paul
    SG: Roy
    SF: ?
    PF: LaMarcus
    C: Okafor/Oden

The SF spot doesn't matter anymore if you add Paul to run the show! :eek:

I hope DM makes a run to trade for Paul! :grin:

6. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Paul would be a great addition, but not sure it'll happen...I can only dream...

7. VBG

VBG Member

Magic with Paul. CP3, Dwight Pick and roll with Rashard, Pietrus and JJ Reddick spotting up. They could beat the Heat IMO.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I think the Blazers only concern would be having two players (Paul, Roy) that need to dominate the ball to be fully effective. Andre Miller alone was a difficult fit with Roy.

I think the biggest news from all this was:
    We saw what kind of offer almost landed Paul.
    Rumblings continue that Paul is unhappy and might demand a trade.

Speculation is that Paul wants to go to NY and form a trio with Amare and Carmelo. I know Amare talked Parker, but I've also heard Paul and Carmelo buddying up.

The only trick is, NY simply does not have the pieces to swing a deal for Oak + Paul. They have Eddy Curry's expiring $11M (which is certainly not getting moved until February) and that's basically it. Not possible for them to scrap together $25M in salary and hold on to Amare.

Personally, I say the Rockets need to think about the future and swing for the fences. Chase Carmelo and Paul at the same time - if they want to leave, they can force the action.

9. worzel gummidge

Part of the package as a salary dump. Emeka's the only large long term contracts on the Hornets.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Okafor is a salary dump for NOLA. They save a TON of Money dumping Okafor and it's going to be the "poison pill" per say to getting CP3 from the Hornets.

11. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

by the way....this article is from July 1st.

12. Steve_Francis_rules

Because New Orleans wouldn't even considering trading Paul unless they also got out from under one of the horrible contracts that they have (Okafor, Stojakovic).

13. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

I wish there was an alternate place on this BBS for the slower people in the group.

Paul NOT untouchable.

<hr>

<b>Pete Chilcutt</b>

<i>
    From his chat

Chad Ford, ESPN Insider:
    The Blazers got close to a deal with the Hornets last week that would've sent Andre Miller, Joel Przybilla, Nicolas Batum, Jerryd Bayless and the 22nd pick to NO for Paul before Jeff Bower pulled out of the deal saying that their owner wasn't ready to trade Paul. The trade they made on draft night got them out of the luxury tax, so that's no longer the issue. The issue is whether Paul is no unhappy enough to force a trade. Personally I think the Hornets can do better than that for Paul, but it's a viable deal. As for Melo, I do think they'll explore moving him ... but not for the Eddy Curry Danilo Gallinari package people are writing about.
    </i>

<hr>

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

We can beat the Portland deal with our expirings and assets. We can take back CP3, Okafor, and Posey and give them back substantially more expirings and assets than Portland offered up. The only question is do we do it without getting a commitment from Paul to stay.

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Would Paul and Yao play well together?

16. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

I have a very credible source in the Rockets organization and from what I heard, the two players the Rockets wanted earlier this Summer was

1. Chris Bosh
    2. Chris Paul

This was all before we struck out with Bosh, so I do expect Morey to be making a serious push for Paul.

17. southernjustice

southernjustice Contributing Member

you must be talking about yourself i work in black oops and finished second in my class.

18. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

good thing this trade didnt go down

19. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

You can be Obmama or Limbaugh or bin Laden, it still doesn't negate the fact that you started a thread using an <i>ancient</i> news clip that was already posted in this Forum well over a week ago.

20. mario_v

mario_v Member

Do you guys think the hornets would trade paul to rockets even if we are in the same division?