ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets acquire Jason Terry from Kings

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > NBA Dish

Offense/Defense NBA Map
Tags:  basketball, boston celtics, defense, detroit pistons, hornets, houston rockets, kings, nba, schedule Tags
durvasa is offline Old 12-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
durvasa
Contributing Member
durvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2006
Member: #16420
I like this way of representing offense and defense of various teams. I calculated standardized offensive and defensive ratings (the more positive, the better) using the schedule-adjusted efficiency numbers at basketball-geek.

The Celtics are amazing right now -- dominant defense, with a still very potent offense. The Rockets are above average, but not stellar, on both ends. The Pistons and Hornets, interestingly enough, rate identically on both ends.

Sponsored Link
Melechesh is offline Old 12-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
Melechesh
Melechesh is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #38691
Great work. Boston are indeed dominating.

ClutchCityReturns is offline Old 12-26-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
ClutchCityReturns
Contributing Member
ClutchCityReturns is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchClutchCityReturns is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchClutchCityReturns is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchClutchCityReturns is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchClutchCityReturns is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchClutchCityReturns is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchClutchCityReturns is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchClutchCityReturns is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchClutchCityReturns is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Apr 2005
Member: #16162
Hmm...so the Lakers are average offensively. That's surprising.

Who is jumbled up with the Pistons at -0.5 / -0.5?

reckonerone42 is offline Old 12-26-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
reckonerone42
reckonerone42 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jun 2009
Member: #42978
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCityReturns

I think it's the Hornets

durvasa is offline Old 12-26-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
durvasa
Contributing Member
durvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCityReturns

The Hornets.

The Lakers are bottom ten in 3-point shooting, turnovers, and getting/making free throws (FTM/FGA). They'll improve, but right now their offense isn't what's led them to the great record.

mjhaver5 is offline Old 12-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
mjhaver5
mjhaver5 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #35083
so according to this houston and lakers are giving an equal offensive output?

durvasa is offline Old 12-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
durvasa
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhaver5
so according to this houston and lakers are giving an equal offensive output?
So far, there about the same in terms of offensive efficiency.

Easy is offline Old 12-26-2009, 05:44 PM   #8
Easy
Contributing Member
Easy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #6116
Looks like JVG would love the Bobcats.

durvasa is offline Old 12-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #9
durvasa
Contributing Member
Here's another variant, but I rotated the points 45 degrees clockwise, and then flipped it across the X-axis. The end result is a plot which rates teams overall going east to west. And teams towards the north are offense-oriented (i.e., rate better offensively than defensively), while teams towards the south are defense-oriented.

juicystream is online now Old 12-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #10
juicystream
Contributing Member
juicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Apr 2001
Member: #2425
Bobcats + Raptors = Celtics?

Hayesfan is offline Old 12-28-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
Hayesfan
Contributing Member
Hayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Nov 2006
Member: #20409
I like the first chart better graphically... though it may be because I don't understand the second as well.

In the second representation the "bad" is on the left and the "good" is on the right for both offense and defense?

durvasa is offline Old 12-28-2009, 03:28 PM   #12
durvasa
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayesfan
I like the first chart better graphically... though it may be because I don't understand the second as well.

In the second representation the "bad" is on the left and the "good" is on the right for both offense and defense?
Yes. X-axis is overall how good the team is, taking both offense and defense into account. Y-axis shows whether the team is offensive-oriented or defense-oriented. So, if along the Y-axis the team is close to 0, that means they are balanced in terms of offense/defense. You can be "balanced" and really good (e.g., the Cavs), or "balanced" and subpar (e.g., Pistons, Hornets).

I did the second plot because whenever I looked at the first one, I kept trying to project the points onto the Y=X line in my mind to gauge how good the teams are.

Zboy is offline Old 12-28-2009, 03:29 PM   #13
Zboy
Contributing Member
Zboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZboy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Aug 2002
Member: #6676
Spurs would normally be much higher on defense. I think the lack of Bruce Bowen is showing. He brought a certain nastiness to that team.

Easy is offline Old 12-28-2009, 06:31 PM   #14
Easy
Contributing Member
Easy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
I am surprised by the Lakers' defensive slant. I guess the lesson learned is, never underestimate size in the middle.

BTW, I like both charts, good for different purposes.

J-Tang is offline Old 12-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #15
J-Tang
J-Tang is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Mar 2008
Member: #31237
basically a good offense can get you to win but a bad offense won't. The nuggets and suns are proof that offense > defense.

steddinotayto is online now Old 12-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #16
steddinotayto
steddinotayto is James Harden -- racking up the pointssteddinotayto is James Harden -- racking up the pointssteddinotayto is James Harden -- racking up the pointssteddinotayto is James Harden -- racking up the pointssteddinotayto is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Aug 2001
Member: #3014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zboy
Spurs would normally be much higher on defense. I think the lack of Bruce Bowen is showing. He brought a certain nastiness to that team.
I would think that the odometer on their main players has something to do with it moreso than just Bruce Bowen. That and the fact that they have literally zero good/formidable defenders outside of Duncan is another cause for decline.

steddinotayto is online now Old 12-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #17
steddinotayto
steddinotayto is James Harden -- racking up the pointssteddinotayto is James Harden -- racking up the pointssteddinotayto is James Harden -- racking up the pointssteddinotayto is James Harden -- racking up the pointssteddinotayto is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Aug 2001
Member: #3014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy
I am surprised by the Lakers' defensive slant. I guess the lesson learned is, never underestimate size in the middle.
No doubt.

Lakers have Gasol and Bynum
Celtics have Perkins, Garnett, and Rasheed

In an era where real centers are almost archaic, having a center that can get you 18/10 with decent defense can get you pretty far.

If only Patrick Ewing was born a couple of decades later. The guy would have dominated big time. (I'm singling him out because Olajuwon and Robinson got their rings)

Easy is offline Old 12-28-2009, 07:07 PM   #18
Easy
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Tang
basically a good offense can get you to win but a bad offense won't. The nuggets and suns are proof that offense > defense.
Look at the second graph. 4 of the top 5 overall teams are better defensively than offensively.

Also, overall, the teams on the right (good teams) are closer to the x-axis (balanced offense-defense) than teams on the left (bad teams).

Fyreball is offline Old 12-28-2009, 07:16 PM   #19
Fyreball
Contributing Member
Fyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Apr 2009
Member: #39843
I find it interesting that, according to the second map, all of the teams one would consider "Championship contenders" are all defensively-oriented (at least for the time being). This also shows how much of an anomaly the Suns really are.

lauradelenn is offline Old 12-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #20
lauradelenn
lauradelenn is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Nov 2009
Member: #44380
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicystream
Bobcats + Raptors = Celtics?
No, the Bucks would be something like what you'd get if you combined the two (meet in the middle).

Basically at the end of the day all those guys have to live with the fact that they are Dallas Mavericks, they choked in the finals, their owner is Mark Cuban and they play and reside in Dallas. I would consider hell an upgrade. - Francis3422