1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McGrady - Crawfishin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by spaceage808, Nov 10, 2009.

1. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

Rockets' McGrady now says Nov. 18 just 'a target date'

DALLAS — A day after he reportedly said he would be playing Nov. 18, Rockets guard Tracy McGrady said he was misunderstood. Rather, he merely hopes to be playing Nov. 18, a week before the Rockets said he could be back at the earliest.

“It's a target date,” McGrady said on Tuesday. “I didn't say I was coming back; I said it was a target date just like we have a date to have the MRI on the 23rd. Everybody is blowing it out of proportion like I'm guaranteed to come back. I want to play, so that's what we're targeting. I've been working out every day, improving every day, and that's what it is.

“It's not a guarantee that I'm coming back. It's a target date.”

He also said, however, that he would not rush his return and indicated that he does not expect to play until the week of his scheduled MRI, Nov. 23.

“I'm not in a hurry to get back on the basketball court,” McGrady said. “I want to make sure that when I do get back that I'm there to compete at a high level. I don't want to rush it back. I want to take my time.”

Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said Monday and again Monday evening that “No timetable has been set for his return.”

McGrady did not dispute Rockets general Morey's contention Monday morning that McGrady is still “off and on” in practice. In his blog on Monday, McGrady had said he was practicing without limitations.

Asked about the discrepancy, McGrady said, “I said what I said; he said what he said.”

Morey had said Rockets officials and team doctors would need to see McGrady in a full practice before he would be active for a game. The next full Rockets practice is scheduled for Nov. 23.

“It still won't be a setback for me if I don't make the 18th,” McGrady said. “I'm not supposed to come back until January or February. If I come back any time before then, I really accomplished something to get back on the basketball court before my doctors really thought I would be back. It's all about how I'm feeling and how I'm progressing. I'm not regressing. I'm talking to them (to doctors) and letting them know every week how I'm feeling and how I work out.

“The MRI is really not going to reveal anything. I talked to my doctor in Chicago. It's not going to say anything as far as where I'm at. I'm not worried about the MRI. I don't even care if I get it. They set the date. I'll just stick with it.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6713302.html

lock if posted

2. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

Nov huh? Can't wait.... If that happens.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

he's right on one point. what's the use of the damn MRI on that specific date? if he practices/progresses well, just see him in practice and see how he is? you can get the MRI anytime.

o well, i guess now he'll be back late november.

4. Tracy McGrady

Tracy McGrady Member

He's just saying he's taking his time to make sure his knee will be fully healed before he plays again but he feels about ready...you should be happy he's trying.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

at least we know he will not be Marbury'd. It appears he is just dumb, still willing to play by the Rockets rules, but just too dumb to realize he should ask them before releasing info.

6. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Yesterday in his blog:
    "I’m ready to get back out there and play ball"

Today:
    "I'm not in a hurry to get back on the basketball court,"

So which one is it?? :confused:

7. fadeaway5

fadeaway5 Member

give the guy a break

8. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

"Its on me"

"Its my fault"

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

Well he did said he targeted the date in the other article that was posted.

Some people acted like he said he was just going to go out there and play no matter what.

Either way I'll be glad when this whole situation is over. Meaning either he finally plays for Houston or he's traded.

10. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Translated: "I'm tired of rehabbing and just wanna go out there and play. But I dont wanna rush coming back like last year and have more setbacks."

I think he still needs to take it slow and take his time. I'm tired of his drama BS just as much as everyone. I'm kinda wondering though...why hasn't be been training some more with Tim Grover while not being able to play?

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What was said yesterday is so ambiguous that can you really make any firm conclusions.

He's clearly saying that it's a target date for him, and that he's not trying to rush back and not trying to create controversy.

Things are getting blown out of proportion by the media and people hanging on every word, trying to analyze it one way or the other for some sort of deeper meaning to justify their stance - whether positive or negative.

12. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Still doesn't know when to shut up.

13. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Where the hell is my Heineken!!!

14. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I am in a wait in see mode on this....

There are 3 sides to this story McGrady side - Media side and the truth...

You can't believe everything you hear and you can't believe everything you read...

T_Man

15. thcdrummer007

thcdrummer007 Member

He has been traveling with the team to every game, so he doesnt really have time to go to chicago..i would think..course he is rich, so he could fly there and back every day if he really wanted to..haha

16. Shaud

Shaud Member

Everything T-mac says is over analyzed.

17. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

How dare you use my name in infamy... I will mess you up son.

18. Tracy McGrady

Tracy McGrady Member

exactly

19. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Look.. I love the guy. Doubt his actions sometimes, but let's lighten up a bit and see what he can do on the court when he returns.

Lemme lighten up the mood a little bit.. When I read the thread title, THIS came to mind :D :D :D

[​IMG]

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The fact is that T_mac - as bad as he is talking to the media, isn't going to be traded.

There is no way Morey will get any kind of trade done - maybe around Feb but that's even unlikely - it's just too hard to move his contract.

What's obvious is that the Rockets don't want to bring T-mac too early for a multiple of reasons

1. If he looks bad it will destroy his reputation and value. It may make keeping him a Rocket very difficult
    2. If he gets hurt again it will be a disaster.
    3. They have learned from their mistakes last year.

That's 3 really good reasons. If you think T-mac is going to ruin the chemistry of the team, well, you aren't thinking the way Morey and Adelman are.

He's been hanging out and practicing with his teammates - they aren't complaining, and they appear fine with the idea he will return.

People need to chill and stop over-reacting. It's one freakin email in which there isn't even a quote that "I plan to play on the 18th".