ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: The red-hot start for the Houston Rockets

Go Back   ClutchFans > Hangout > BBS Hangout

House Robbed Today - Question at searching pawn shops
Tags:  insurance, police Tags
Cannonball is offline Old 10-16-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
Cannonball
Contributing Member
Cannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jul 2006
Member: #19677
So my house was broken into this morning. I'm not going into details but I had about $2,500 of musical equipment stolen, most of that being my flute. Then they stole a bunch of jewelry. Most of it wasn't expensive but some things had a lot of sentimental value. We've filed a police report. It's too late to contact the insurance company today but we'll get with them as soon as possible.

So we're going to be searching the pawn shops just in case they pawned anything. Can anyone advise a good radius to do a search in? I think that if the stuff gets pawned, it's likely to be at places somewhat nearby. So 5 mile radius or what? Also, how long should we wait before searching? No sense in searching the pawn shops if they haven't pawned anything yet.

I realize there's no set way criminals do these things but can anyone give me ballpark suggestions? Anybody here with experience looking for stolen items in pawn shops?

Sponsored Link
Fatty FatBastard is offline Old 10-16-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
Fatty FatBastard
Fatty FatBastard is James Harden -- racking up the pointsFatty FatBastard is James Harden -- racking up the pointsFatty FatBastard is James Harden -- racking up the pointsFatty FatBastard is James Harden -- racking up the pointsFatty FatBastard is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Jul 2001
Member: #2843
LOL @ the flute. Who plays those?

Just call pawn shops in a couple weeks and ask if they've seen a flute recently. Go from there. Those things aren't exactly flying off the shelves.

Flute.

The_Yoyo is offline Old 10-16-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
The_Yoyo
Contributing Member
The_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Dec 2001
Member: #3378
I am sorry for your loss

but

you play the flute?

rocketsjudoka is offline Old 10-16-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
rocketsjudoka
Contributing Member
rocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jul 2007
Member: #24870
Sorry to hear that. My house got robbed a couple of years ago and the cops checked at the pawn shop nearest my house, about 3/4 of a mile away, and caught two guys trying to pawn a TV without a receipt. Unfortunately it wasn't mine. What the cops told me was that if you have your reciepts and get that info to the cops they can put a flag on the items serial numbers for pawnshops to report.

I'm guessing though that most pawn shops aren't that ethical as I haven't gotten a call since.

"Until then though I am still and will remain a Rockets fan even if zombie Joe Stalin was the coach. "

Help Typhoon Rebuilding in the Philippines
http://www.fil-minnesotan.org/

or if you don't like helping people
http://www.reverbnation.com/theserfs

Cannonball is offline Old 10-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
Cannonball
Contributing Member
Cannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
I'm a professional musician. My main instrument is the saxophone. Sax players have to know how to play flute and clarinet if they want to gig a lot, which I do. My church gig in 90% flute. Luckily, I have another crappy one I can use until I can replace the one that was stolen.

I played a gig last night and the flute was in a black bag along with my sax stands, microphones and cables. I'm sure they didn't know what they were taking because they left my saxophones which are considerably more expensive.

Shovel Face is offline Old 10-16-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
Shovel Face
Shovel Face is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodShovel Face is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Sep 2009
Member: #43469
I would be checking local Craigslist and Ebay too.

Cannonball is offline Old 10-16-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
Cannonball
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovel Face
I would be checking local Craigslist and Ebay too.
Oh, I will be.

There's a trombonist town. Plays everything and is principal trombonist with the ballet and opera orchestras. He had his horn stolen this past year and found it on eBay. He worked with the cops and got his horn back while the cops took down a fencing operation.

SirCharlesFan is offline Old 10-16-2009, 08:09 PM   #8
SirCharlesFan
Contributing Member
SirCharlesFan is Omer Asik -- working the boardsSirCharlesFan is Omer Asik -- working the boardsSirCharlesFan is Omer Asik -- working the boardsSirCharlesFan is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Apr 1999
Member: #410
hopefully the thief doesn't take your flute to band camp

"Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs."

-White Men Can't Jump

Space Ghost is offline Old 10-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #9
Space Ghost
Contributing Member
Space Ghost is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSpace Ghost is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSpace Ghost is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSpace Ghost is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSpace Ghost is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSpace Ghost is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #80
Here in NC, pawnshops are required to check all serial numbers if they are available. That probably won't help with the flute, but write serial numbers down for everything else.

Rip Van Rocket is online now Old 10-16-2009, 08:37 PM   #10
Rip Van Rocket
Contributing Member
Rip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: May 2002
Member: #4070
Well, that sucks. I won't make any jokes about the flute. I had a couple of horns stolen from me and it still stings a little. People tend to get more attached to their musical instruments than many other items they own. Good luck.

RedRowdy111 is offline Old 10-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #11
RedRowdy111
Contributing Member
RedRowdy111 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineRedRowdy111 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineRedRowdy111 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Aug 2006
Member: #19859
Flute....lol.

Sorry about your loss.

I'm still hoping we re-sign Alex Scales!
Watch him in action here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nxc0XDfqPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinywang
more of the same.

everything is a possibility at this point.

idk what i expect to happen anymore. just gonna wait and see.

Hmm is offline Old 10-16-2009, 09:53 PM   #12
Hmm
Hmm is Omer Asik -- working the boardsHmm is Omer Asik -- working the boardsHmm is Omer Asik -- working the boardsHmm is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Oct 2001
Member: #3221
judging by the amount of "lol" behavior exhibited by many in this thread towards a valid musical instrument.. I'm surprised someone hasn't come out and directly labeled it.. "ghey".. and been done with it..

DaDakota is offline Old 10-16-2009, 09:54 PM   #13
DaDakota
Contributing Member
DaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 1999
Member: #331
Man that sucks.....I would check the pawn shops in the more seedy areas.

DD

MrRoboto is offline Old 10-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #14
MrRoboto
MrRoboto is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodMrRoboto is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #36504
Pawn shops are an extremely regulated business.

If you were able to provide details such as make, model and serial numbers to the police then that information will be checked against pawned merchandise and a hold placed on it all.

I once had some equipment stolen and the person who stole the items had to pay me restitution, in person, for lost revenue due to the lack of the proper tools.

In the old days they had to hold purchased items for a period of time before placing them out for sale. I'm not sure what the stipulations are these days. If they took out a loan on the items then there will be a period of time, depending on the store's policy, before the default on the loan and subsequent adding to the store's inventory for sale.

Craigslist and Ebay are good alternatives in the meantime. Jewelry is a much more difficult item to track. Your best hope is that the person pawns something with a serial number along with the jewelry and the items end up at the same place.

Good luck - and I have no doubt if you were able to provide serial numbers that the items will eventually turn up somewhere and you will at least get some of your stuff back.

Thieves suck.

Domo

Codman is offline Old 10-16-2009, 10:52 PM   #15
Codman
Contributing Member
Codman is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereCodman is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereCodman is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereCodman is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereCodman is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereCodman is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereCodman is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jun 2001
Member: #2698
Man, Cannonball, sorry about the robbery. That stuff sucks. I've never had my home broken into, but I've had my car robbed and totally destroyed. I know how you feel.

Karma is a mutha...and those criminals will get the business sooner or later.

Good luck.

-Linsanity is thankfully gone; now we just need an antidote for McHale's incompetence.
-My loves: Family. Friends. Rockets .Teaching underprivileged, yet highly-motivated, teenagers. Coaching High School/AAU/GCU ball (We are Division 1 now!)

kpsta is offline Old 10-16-2009, 11:03 PM   #16
kpsta
Contributing Member
kpsta is James Harden -- racking up the pointskpsta is James Harden -- racking up the pointskpsta is James Harden -- racking up the pointskpsta is James Harden -- racking up the pointskpsta is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Sep 2001
Member: #3102
Sorry for your loss, Cannonball... I hope you get everything back.

And for what it's worth, making fun of the flute is kind of lame. Some absurdly cool jazz musicians play (or played) the flute. Listening to Rahsaan Roland Kirk or Yusef Lateef might change your mind:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rahsaan_Roland_Kirk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yusef_Lateef

I dealt with several doctors at a lakehouse this summer that adored me because I don't have a "filter." - FFB

'68 Ric 360 '66 Guild Starfire XII
'68 Standel 420-C
Shasta rockin' the '59 Ric 450
Rickenbacker Family Portrait
'54 Harmony Stratotone Newport

SpiffyRifi is offline Old 10-16-2009, 11:55 PM   #17
SpiffyRifi
SpiffyRifi is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Member: #19471
assuming you reported it to the police and you were able to provide serial numbers, the cops can check all the pawn shops on the computer.

Jugdish is offline Old 10-17-2009, 12:11 AM   #18
Jugdish
Jugdish is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJugdish is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJugdish is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJugdish is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJugdish is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJugdish is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Mar 2006
Member: #16532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty FatBastard
LOL @ the flute. Who plays those?

Just call pawn shops in a couple weeks and ask if they've seen a flute recently. Go from there. Those things aren't exactly flying off the shelves.

Flute.
More a skinflute man yourself, are you?

"Easy there, Iacocca" -pouhe

"I'd be surprised if YOU had one left. SMH ignoraenous'." -FLASH21

zomg

LonghornFan is offline Old 10-17-2009, 12:12 AM   #19
LonghornFan
Contributing Member
LonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Sep 2002
Member: #7178
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsta
Sorry for your loss, Cannonball... I hope you get everything back.

And for what it's worth, making fun of the flute is kind of lame. Some absurdly cool jazz musicians play (or played) the flute. Listening to Rahsaan Roland Kirk or Yusef Lateef might change your mind:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rahsaan_Roland_Kirk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yusef_Lateef
You forgot one.

Fatty FatBastard is offline Old 10-17-2009, 12:24 AM   #20
Fatty FatBastard
Fatty FatBastard is James Harden -- racking up the pointsFatty FatBastard is James Harden -- racking up the pointsFatty FatBastard is James Harden -- racking up the pointsFatty FatBastard is James Harden -- racking up the pointsFatty FatBastard is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Jul 2001
Member: #2843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugdish
More a skinflute man yourself, are you?
More of a loser, I take?