1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will LA FRONT??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by apollo33, May 5, 2009.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

After game one, do yall think Lakers will start fronting Yao Ming like in the portland series. how well do you think yao ming can handle it if that does happen??

lock thread if posted

2. Arvid

Arvid Member

Maybe a little. But they don't really have the personnel to do that. Also Gasol and Bynum are too offensively-minded to do it consistently.

3. zenithnadir

zenithnadir Member

nope - jackson said so himself - no major changes, just better execution of their existing plans

4. Ashes

Ashes Member

I don't think the Lakers will front.

5. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

They will probably mix it up, instead of completely focusing the entire offense on Yao like the Blazers did.

I expect when Gasol plays center to front Yao, when Bynum is out there he should play behind him. Here's a quote that Jackson said about Bynum
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5gwts8hZGfZ2T1pmrg7jUohjnKg0g

That being said, they will probably try to move him out of the paint. I just don't think Gasol and Bynum are strong enough to move out Yao. Oden and Przybilla were, but they were fouling him the entire time anyways. Both Bynum and Gasol are inferior to Yao's strength.

I expect some fronting, but I expect Yao to realize this and beat it by sealing off Gasol.

6. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

I hope Bynum guards Yao for the most part of this series.

Gasol always does sneaky things when guarding Yao. It's not even fair (pulling the chair out from under him, etc.)

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Lakers will start to front Yao once they get desperate.

8. Ashes

Ashes Member

Well, if they do front Yao, it would be Gasol fronting for sure. Bynum will play behind Yao.

9. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I hope not. If Yao isn't fronted I can see him going 20/10 easily and still having energy for defense.

Keep your hard head Mr. Jackson and Rockets can steal this series.

10. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

I agree, I see them fronting but failing at it. They can't contain Yao with the traditional post defense. If that's how they play Yao, I except another outburst from Yao.

11. The Brian

The Brian Member

i think scola needs to play better because even if they don't front, they will have a second man help eventually.

scola had a poor game one, if he can produce in game two he can really help us.

12. rocketsmetalspd

Gasol will try to front. He does get around round when the pass is made to Yao though. Can not bounce pass it to Yao with Gasol guarding him.

13. 囧jason

囧jason Member

no ,they dont and they cant. paul gasol and bynum are not so strong and fast moving that they can front..i do think so..and fakers are arrogant..they maybe converging attack at the most..

14. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

I agree, Phil Jackson isn't dumb. He knows his big guys are incapable of fronting Yao and being effective at it. That being said, if he had better tougher big guys who were stronger than Gasol and Bynum he probably would front him.

If Josh Powell or Dj Mbenga starts guarding Yao, that will be very interesting though.

15. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

they did last game in the second half.

Problem is it takes a lot of energy and that is going to make Gasol not as effective on the offensive end.

16. Tuan

Tuan Member

Fronting Yao all game long takes it toll on the opposing player, so Gasol and Bynum will not do it. The Rockets and Yao were also a lot better at countering the front the last few games against the Blazers. I hope somehow that Yao will be able to counter that crap defense for good.

17. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

Exactly, I believe in one article said Gasol was pretty much acting like a blue collared player last night than an all-star offensive forward. Gasol probably can front him, but he won't be that effective at it.

He's an interesting defender since he keeps pulling the chair half the time and somehow he gets around Yao, even when Yao seals Gasol off and Gasol ends up deflecting the ball.

18. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Not yet. Phil Jackson is too proud and too confident to change up his defense. He still thinks they can win with their regular defense. If we win game 2, u might see something different.

19. UrlPerlMonroe

UrlPerlMonroe Rookie

It would be a dumb move because the 3 bigs for LA are also part of their offensive weapons. Fronting tires out the defender and can also open lanes for other Rockets to drive. Portland game is different because Oden and Pryz does not contribute much in the scoring dept.

20. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

why is everyone saying they have no big men who can front? heres a newsflash. any big man who is faster than yao can front him, which is basically everyone. hell, pau gasol was deflecting the ball while he was playing BEHIND him. phil jackson is just too proud to call for a front as it would concede to Yao his dominance.