ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Game 1 loss a wake-up call or death knell for Rockets?

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

Lastest Update on Artest affairs. Artest: I am a Yaoming soldier babyyyy!!!
Tags:  basketball, birthday, bobby jackson, china, fashion, houston, houston rockets, kings, nba, new york, rafer alston, rick adelman, ron artest, sacramento, stand up, tracy mcgrady, yao ming Tags
nixadi is offline Old 07-31-2008, 03:07 AM   #1
nixadi
nixadi is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Jul 2006
Member: #19534
In true Ron-Ron (or is that Bill-Bill?) fashion, he didn't take long to change his stance in the latest mini-drama.
After our conversation this afternoon in which he was clearly not thrilled with the comments made by Yao Ming, he went on with KHTK's Carmichael Dave this evening and reported that the issue has been resolved.

Among the relevant revelations...

* Artest said Yao called to clear up the matter and proclaimed himself "a Yao Ming soldier babyyyyyy!."

* He admitted that Yao's comments regarding the brawl "hit me in the soft spot when I read that."

* He said he's even considering a trip to China support Yao with Team China, then quickly made it clear that he is rooting for Team USA for the gold.

* Asked if there was anything he would change about his time in Sacramento, Artest said he would have found a way to convince the Kings to re-sign Rick Adelman.
"I wish I would have know that Rick was leaving, because I would've intercepted that phone call with a missile from Korea," he said with a laugh. "I'd be like, 'Hold on, let's work it out.'"

POINTS TO PONDER

* Assuming Artest's comments on Wednesday don't undo the deal, let's move ahead to Rockets locker room speculation.

No one expects Tracy McGrady or Yao Ming to be the ones willing to stand up to Artest, but don't be surprised if Rafer Alston occasionally plays that role. Not only do Ron and Rafer go all the way back to their shared New York upbringing, but Alston was possibly the most outspoken critic among his colleagues after the 2004 brawl.

For an interesting look back, read this piece here.

* While talking to Artest today, he retold the story about how he found out he was traded while making an appearance on the "Scott Ferrall Show" on Sirius XM radio.

Here's the transcript from the show on Tuesday night, as provided by the XM folks...

Ferrall: "Yo, Ronnie, it's Ferrall."

Artest: "What's going on, man? How's everything?"

Ferrall: "What's up, Money? Now listen, can you believe that you got traded tonight while you were filling it up for 42 points at that thing in the city tonight? When did you find out that you got dealt, afterwards when you picked up your cell phone?"

Artest: "What are you talking about, what are you talking about right now? I got traded?"

Ferrall: "You got traded tonight to the Houston Rockets, brother, for Bobby Jackson. You're going to be playing with Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady."

Artest: "I didn't know that."

Ferrall: "I swear to god."

Artest: "I just came from the game and went to get something to eat. I turned my phone off and I told my boy I was going to call [into the show] because it was your birthday. I didn't know that. I got to call [my agent] and find out. I've got to find out."

Ferrall then read a portion of the Houston Chronicle report on the trade to Artest.

Ferrall: "What do you think, man? How do you feel about that? I hope I didn't bum you out."

Artest: "Nah, man, everything is good. I am going to call my agent in a little bit. But man, it's your birthday, man."

* I honestly wonder if Houston leaked the story about this trade on purpose. My conspiracy theory goes as such: get the news of the trade out there, then have ample time to gauge the response of the fanbase/media etc. and leave yourself an out if you decide it could be a disaster.
If it wasn't Ron Artest, I'd call myself crazy. But the fear factor around the league most certainly remains high when it comes to Ron-Ron, and I could honestly see such drastic measures being taken to guard against a potential PR crisis or maybe even some sort of mutiny from within.

* I'm not typically in the business of uni-news, but the folks at Sactownroyalty are all over it. A pic of the new road uniform was leaked to the blogosphere. Check it out here.

* On second thought, I forgot that McGrady has shown an ability to stand up for himself. Take, for example, this scuffle with the one and only Bobby Jackson from a few years ago.

* Speaking of Jackson, a story on the former Kings point guard who could certainly still be headed this way was put on hold because of the Artest situation.
I had a fascinating chat with Bobby this morning and will likely run that story on Friday. - Sam Amick

Sponsored Link
Tonaaayyyy is offline Old 07-31-2008, 03:11 AM   #2
Tonaaayyyy
Tonaaayyyy is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4905
say bro...u locally from sac-town?? just wondering, since u seem to get the 411 on most of these Ron-Ron interviews..

UND3RxOATH is offline Old 07-31-2008, 03:14 AM   #3
UND3RxOATH
UND3RxOATH is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2008
Member: #32922
He got a lot of the information from the Show tonight. There was a few bits I've never seen though.

Great information.

nixadi is offline Old 07-31-2008, 03:17 AM   #4
nixadi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonaaayyyy
say bro...u locally from sac-town?? just wondering, since u seem to get the 411 on most of these Ron-Ron interviews..
Hi, bro. No, I live in Australia at the moment, but been a huge Rockets fan for while. I have not been to Houston before, but hope to watch a live rockets game at Houston later this year. I just heard of the christmas game this year on TNT would be NOH vs Magic, I think the christmas feast on TNT should be Rockets Big Three vs Boston Big Three! Sounds super tasty. Cannot wait to see the season started, mate!

Nelly is offline Old 07-31-2008, 03:20 AM   #5
Nelly
Contributing Member
Nelly is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Dec 2002
Member: #9299
isn't that from Sam Amick's blog? that guy sure stirs up some crap

rcoleman15 is offline Old 07-31-2008, 03:22 AM   #6
rcoleman15
Contributing Member
rcoleman15 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finercoleman15 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finercoleman15 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Aug 2005
Member: #16310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly
isn't that from Sam Amick's blog? that guy sure stirs up some crap
It (this article) is the latest update from that blog.

Nelly is offline Old 07-31-2008, 03:24 AM   #7
Nelly
Contributing Member
Nelly is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Dec 2002
Member: #9299
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoleman15
It (this article) is the latest update from that blog.
he should post the link

rcoleman15 is offline Old 07-31-2008, 03:27 AM   #8
rcoleman15
Contributing Member
rcoleman15 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finercoleman15 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finercoleman15 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Aug 2005
Member: #16310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly
he should post the link
Here is the link for the article:

A late night buffet

Tonaaayyyy is offline Old 07-31-2008, 03:27 AM   #9
Tonaaayyyy
Tonaaayyyy is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4905
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixadi
Hi, bro. No, I live in Australia at the moment, but been a huge Rockets fan for while. I have not been to Houston before, but hope to watch a live rockets game at Houston later this year. I just heard of the christmas game this year on TNT would be NOH vs Magic, I think the christmas feast on TNT should be Rockets Big Three vs Boston Big Three! Sounds super tasty. Cannot wait to see the season started, mate!
nice to hear mate...hopefully u get to watch the rox live in action this upcoming season, this **** is gona be karazy

ying861020 is offline Old 07-31-2008, 03:30 AM   #10
ying861020
ying861020 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2007
Member: #28432
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs...es/014225.html

this artical

Lewislzy is offline Old 07-31-2008, 03:57 AM   #11
Lewislzy
Lewislzy is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Jun 2007
Member: #19856
Nice baby!

lunaticrocket is offline Old 07-31-2008, 04:53 AM   #12
lunaticrocket
Rookie
lunaticrocket is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2006
Member: #20336
Sam Amick is the one that is trying to destroy the deal. The media is trying really hard to make something out of nothing.

rezdawg is offline Old 07-31-2008, 05:08 AM   #13
rezdawg
Contributing Member
rezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Feb 2000
Member: #1294
This Sam dude is starting to piss me off.

Thanks for sharing the info.

kwng is offline Old 07-31-2008, 05:29 AM   #14
kwng
kwng is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jan 2003
Member: #10164
Well, I am glad everything is fine now. Speaking to reporters is a tricky matter. I hope the lesson learned is that any new player should be greeted by a welcome from players and say nothing more.

nixadi is offline Old 07-31-2008, 07:03 AM   #15
nixadi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonaaayyyy
nice to hear mate...hopefully u get to watch the rox live in action this upcoming season, this **** is gona be karazy
Yep, I cannot wait to see the season started....

imaham259 is offline Old 07-31-2008, 07:23 AM   #16
imaham259
imaham259 is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Nov 2002
Member: #8091
I cannot wait for a season of original ron-ron quotes! We have had some good quoters in the past like The Chuckster, JVG, and Yao. Yaoming Soldier LOL :D

theeast is offline Old 07-31-2008, 07:41 AM   #17
theeast
Rookie
theeast is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32135
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwng
Well, I am glad everything is fine now. Speaking to reporters is a tricky matter. I hope the lesson learned is that any new player should be greeted by a welcome from players and say nothing more.
do u mean greene?

jVgOwnsYou is offline Old 07-31-2008, 08:10 AM   #18
jVgOwnsYou
Contributing Member
jVgOwnsYou is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2006
Member: #20358
Yao is a pimp. Quickly calling to clear it up and inviting him to China. Love it.

Bring back Calvin.

http://twitter.com/longonsd

QdoubleA is offline Old 07-31-2008, 08:24 AM   #19
QdoubleA
QdoubleA is James Harden -- racking up the pointsQdoubleA is James Harden -- racking up the pointsQdoubleA is James Harden -- racking up the pointsQdoubleA is James Harden -- racking up the pointsQdoubleA is James Harden -- racking up the pointsQdoubleA is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Jul 2007
Member: #24521
Very good to hear, good post. I was really worried yesterday.

Faos is offline Old 07-31-2008, 08:27 AM   #20
Faos
Contributing Member
Faos is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodFaos is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: May 2003
Member: #12458
It won't be long before Artest is wearing Anta shoes like most of the team.