1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luther Head has to go

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ktvoss, May 3, 2008.

1. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

1-14 shooting on 3's throughout the whole series is what one of the guys said on 610. That's ridiculous. Plus the guy is undersized... package his butt and trade him while we still can.

2. GoRedRowdies

GoRedRowdies Member

Luther head is the HEART of this team.

-silence-

3. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

Yea i agree last year he could hit threes but this year his gone downhill

4. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I said it before. This guy not even need, he HAS TO GO. He did hurt this team in the playoffs. He showed he is nobody. He showed he can't even make layups.

I'd add Bobby to him and make bigger trade

5. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

If he is the heart of this team that says a lot about our team as a whole and I'm not willing to say our team has players full of choke artists. This guy just didn't rise to the occasion and if you look at it Novak would have probably done better with is minutes.

6. dookiester

dookiester Member

amazingly, if novak had his minutes, we would probably have had better offense AND defense. novak could at least body up on korver and not get abused so easily in the post. i was a head fan his rookie year. now he is public enemy no. 1. i hope we trade him or cut him on principle alone; he really let his teammates down two years running now.

7. dookiester

dookiester Member

"Adelman juggles guards
    Rockets coach Rick Adelman had juggled his rotation at the backup shooting guard spot throughout the series, but despite Luther Head's shooting difficulties in the first five games, he settled on Head as a backup for Tracy McGrady, choosing Head's size defensively over playing Bobby Jackson and Aaron Brooks together.

Head made one of 12 shots in the first five games, missing all five of his 3-pointers. Head made 43.2 percent of his shots in the regular-season, 39.3 percent from beyond the arc.

"To bring Luther in when (Kyle) Korver comes in, I think that's the best match up for us at this point," Adelman said. "In the first half especially, I have to give Shane and Tracy a break there. Luther, he hasn't made shots, but he's done it all year."
    link

wow i didnt read this before the game. someone with ties to the rockets PLEASE bring to adelmans attention, luther head is NOT a "best matchup" EVER. the only player luther could ever hope to match up well with is another 6'3 undersized shooting guard incapable of handling the ball or creating his own shot. if a single one of us was trying to decide who to bring in off the bench to give tmac and battier a spell, luther head would be last on all of our lists. mike harris and steve novak should have been given first call. i will go ballistic if adelman entrusts head with the same minutes next year.

adelman did an awesome job this year but his inability to see luther for what he is has been a massive blight on an otherwise impeccable coaching job. the book on head has been written and its too late to make revisions; undersized 2 guard who can't run the point, can't create his own shot, can't defend true 2 guards in the post, can't defend true points on the perimeter, and most of all can't deliver when his team needs him. he will not change. why he was granted an extension i'll never understand.

and i'm not just scapegoating the kid, even if we won the series he would have been the sore spot. 2-2 on contributing more harm than good to his team in the postseason: good riddance luther, i'd rather see gerald green take your spot. even if he proves to be just as boneheaded as you, at least he'll be able to finish a 3 on 1 fastbreak and not get blocked by kyle korver.

8. F.Emelianenko

F.Emelianenko Member

i don't feel luther needs to go. i can't figure out if he plays poorly against the jazz or if it's because it's the playoffs. i would keep head. he still has time to develop.

everyone is forgetting how much having yao ming increases a jump shooter's fg %.

9. pli777

pli777 Member

It's not just about his fg%, esp those beyond the arc. It's his decision making on the court and his habit of turning the ball over. Quite often you see him trying to cross over the opponent, but he's neither quick nor skillful with his handle and then he will just dump the ball over to someone else and with that pass it's normally a turnover. I don't think he's a good defender either.

More time to develop? Tell that to landry.

10. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Luther Head is a proven turn-over machine. His bread and butter is supposed to be three point sharp shooting but he's not spectacular at that. We've given Novak about the same time to develop but atleast he does his job, if he works over the summer and is no longer a liability on defense he could be second man off the bench. Head can be packaged up or just cut from the books to get a backup PG or C which we really need.

11. renwickftw

renwickftw Member

Head has to go in the summer. He is a really undersized SG, and cant card guys like Korver, Brewer etc. He's got **** handles and is turnover-prone, so he cant be a PG. He is the most streaky shooter on the team: some days he goes off for 15 points, other days he goes 1/5. He has crappy driving ability, and even if he can get to the rim, he will brick the layup. I would trade him for a cheeseburger.

12. resinsoft

resinsoft Member

head and hayes can go

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Has to go?

Well, not really. He's not a head case (get it?), he's not a huge minutes guy, and his skills are much more suited to working with Yao on the floor.

He's obviously not untouchable and quite possibly could be packaged in the near future, but I don't think Morey's off season is going to be consumed with the task of getting Luther Head off the team.

I must say the desperation and scapegoating on the board today is not pretty.

This was a successful season given what happened. I truly believe we just saw the equivalent of the 1993 season where the Rockets lost to the Sonics but learned enough about each other and winning to come back the next year and win the title. Relax people. Look forward rather than backwards.

14. ai_111

ai_111 Rookie

He should be gone. He cant defend, he cant shoot, he cant dribble. All he does is to do turnovers and lay ups. We need a great back up sg behind T-mac for next year.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Only if he is packaged with someone to improve the team, he doesn't have to go, but his days as a major rotation player need to go away.

Luther is just not good enough with all his skills to get it done in crunch time in the playoffs.

Teams will take away what you do best, and if Luther can't stand at the 3pt line and shoot 3s....he is fairly worthless.

So, as a 12th man....lower than Novak IMHO....he can stay or go, but he needs to leave the rotation.....yesterday.

DD

16. yaorta

yaorta Member

unless luther dig more on his rebounding, penetrating, passing or even mid-range shooting, i wont mind if morey helps him change his team

17. renwickftw

renwickftw Member

The problem with leaving Luther in the team is that RA will keep him on the rotation, for whatever reason there is. And if Luther gets any playing time, then we're screwed.

18. dookiester

dookiester Member

i don't think its scapegoating as much as reality surfacing. i don't want a player on the team who is as one-dimensional as head is, and isn't particularly amazing at that one dimension. chuck hayes is an incredible defender. steve novak is an incredible situational shooter. luther head is a good shooter who goes cold too often and is absolutely incapable of guarding people who play the same position as him. to be as big a defensive liability as he is, he better be a huge offensive threat. he isn't. the rockets winning this series wouldn't have changed that and i've been antsy to get rid of head for a long time.

he continually exhibits poor decision-making (regardless of his low turnover average, it is possible to make bad decisions with the ball that don't result in an immediate turnover on the stat sheet) and can't do anything besides shoot. he does move well without the ball but his inability to finish negates the scoring opportunities he creates with his cuts. that botched 3 on 1 fastbreak where he got blocked by kyle "shot-blocker extraordinaire" korver is a microcosm of the failure that is luther head. and how a 6'3 guard can be as poor a ball handler as he is never ceases to amaze me. he must be an absolute stud in practice to garner all this trust from the coaching staff.

if there's really no better option out there than luther head then don't cut him just for kicks. but i seriously doubt head is irreplaceable and i'm sure there's a handful of guys in the D-league who could easily be a better backup 2 guard than luther head is.

19. thumps

thumps Contributing Member

If you get a chance, take a look at Luther's playoff averages.

0.240 FG%

0.207 3P%

That's enough for me. He should go.

20. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

We should have kept Gerald Green and cut Luther Head. We could have gotten the same quality of defense, and the offense would have been much better. Also,Green is taller than Kyle Korver as opposed to Luther being six inches shorter. With Green's athleticism he could have taken pressure off T-Mc because Utah would have had to move Brewer on him.