1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gene Peterson & Jim Foley Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by across110thstreet, Jan 27, 2008.

1. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  2. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

3. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

houston has been very fortunate with their radio play by play guys. ive been to other cities, and they're radio personalities are horrific

it will be a sad day when gene and jim leave and when milo hamilton leaves for good

4. Rowdie Brandon

Gene and Jim got me through some rough times when I was younger and didn't have cable....I could never hardly see the rockets home games, but Gene and Jim always did a great job of keeping me on the edge of my seat w/o any visual aid.....the call I remember most from Gene is when Hakeem blocked 3 sonics players in a row...."block by Olajuwon, block by Olajuwon, BLOCK BY OLAJUWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!"

5. Jelle

Jelle Rookie

I love the way one of them said 'How sweet it is' and also when Maxwell made one of three pointers of Game 3 1994 playoffs. Does somebody have that audio part because they have so much energy while Doug Collins and the other guy with him just said: '"Rudy T is thinking, where was this guy in game 2?" It's too bad not much commentators have the energy of a Worrell, Marv Albert, Ron Thulin etc. Some commentary just spoil games when you watch them, especially nowadays with Drexler & Bullard next to Worrell. They drag Worrell into making really lame jokes and add nothing to it while Calvin even though didn't say much made some nice comments and a joke here and there. Now it's all over the place and radio commentary is even better at times. Very appreciated and hope they would do / would've done TV even though i only heard a few small pieces from the Clutch city DVDs and history moments.

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

"Backin' it in, backin' it in. Fouled no call, he's getting murdered down there. Backin' it in, fakes, turns, dipsy-doodles it up and in. Haaakeeem Olajuwonnn!"

Gene Peterson is the greatest sports announcer ever, any sport, any media. His voice is basketball in the same way that Vin Scully's voice is baseball, and Jim
    Foley is a great sidekick for him. We Rockets' fans are truly blessed that Gene and Jim made their career with the Rockets.

7. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

Was watchin the old championship videos and heard these guys. It reminded how good they were, me and my dad used to put the game on tv on MUTE and watch the game listening to the radio simulcast. Really miss these guys. :(

Ill never forget hearing the words "HOW SWEET IT IS!!!!!!" after we won the 94 title.

8. Cakewalk

Cakewalk Member

How sweet it is! I used to listen alot using the audio league pass.

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

since i didnt grow up in Houston and didnt really listen to Gene outside of the clips heard on various videos now I can say he does sound good though.

best ever? sorry to say that goes to Chick Hearn

10. Bay Area Rocket

The "dipsy-doodle" call was the greatest.

11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Great thread!! Man I miss these guys. Great great broadcasters. " Houston the eagle has landed" best of the best for sure.

Sorry Yoyo, Chick was great and is a hall of famer no doubt, but he got a lot of run because he was with the lakers. I assure you Gene and Jim were every bit as good.

Ok ok, I'm biased

#11 mikol13, Jul 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  12. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i grew up listening to chick hearn and i say he's the most iinfluential basketball announcer ever.

13. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

What about after every other win? That was his signature phrase.

14. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

I know, that was just the sweetest one!

15. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Just thought I'd post this -- it's the tribute the Rockets Radio Network did at Gene Peterson's last game (Game 6 vs. Jazz two years ago):

<div>
    <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" width="210" height="25" id="mp3playerlightsmallv3" align="middle">
    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
    <param name="movie" value="http://www.podbean.com/podcast-audio-video-blog-player/mp3playerlightsmallv3.swf?audioPath=http://rocketvengeance.podbean.com/mf/play/59a6u6/Tribute_withSignoff.mp3&autoStart=no" />
    <param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
    <embed src="http://www.podbean.com/podcast-audio-video-blog-player/mp3playerlightsmallv3.swf?audioPath=http://rocketvengeance.podbean.com/mf/play/59a6u6/Tribute_withSignoff.mp3&autoStart=no" quality="high" width="210" height="25" name="mp3playerlightsmallv3" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /></embed>
    </object>
    <br /><a style="font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-weight: normal; padding-left: 41px; color: #2DA274; text-decoration: none; border-bottom: none;" href="http://www.podbean.com">Powered by Podbean.com</a>
    </div>

1 person likes this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I grew up listening to Gene, I recall laying in my bedroom listening to the Rockets games and tracking the score on a binder.

I remember him going nuts when Lucas was called for a travel in the Eastern conference finals in like '77.....I remember Newlin, the Whopper, Murph, Rudy T, bingo...dipsey doo for 2....

And when I got to college and broadcast the SWT basketball games I modeled my voice after his......

Gene was a great guy to listen to...it is just not the same anymore.

As for Jim Foley.....captain stats...and 'OH MOTHER !"

DD

1 person likes this.
  17. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

Man, i miss those two..
    I remeber putting the t.v. on mute and turning on the radio to listen to them while the rockets were playing....so passionate :(

18. kidcave9

listening to this brought a tear to my eye...

19. SkillzThatKillz

20. kidcave9

does gene peterson say that too? I thought only Milo said that

either way, legends of the radios