ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets acquire Jason Terry from Kings
pryuen is offline Old 08-13-2007, 02:27 AM   #1
pryuen
Contributing Member
pryuen is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Mar 2003
Member: #11288
Saw this interview from Titan Sports on tom.com.

Thought you guys will definitely like this interview.

Personally very much like Luis Scola's attitude and self confidence.....

ENJOY !!!

Quote:

http://nba.sports.tom.com/2007-08-13/0424/84174902.html

Reporter Jia Fan reports from Argentina.

Situated in the Southern Hemisphere, it is now winter in Argentina; it had been raining continuously for the past few days. This had made this beautiful sunny afternoon even particularly more precious. Sitting in the cafe at the top floor of the Sante Fe Holiday Inn Hotel, sunlight was scattered upon the face of Luis Scola, which gave us a very calm and tranquil look, completely different from what we used to know him as a (fiery and physical) basketball player on the court. The entire hotel was unusually quiet, as it was when most of the basketball players were taking their afternoon nap/rest. But here Luis Scola was actually patiently receiving almost an hour of interview from us, which made us feel somewhat restless (and guilty). Luckily, in the final of a 4-Nation tournament that very same night, Luis Scola still managed to lead his team to beat the Spanish national team.

Its captain, Luis Scola, had led this “new” Argentina national team to 3 wins in 6 days, and lifted the trophies for Li Ning Cup and the 4-Nations tournament consecutively. Without Emanuel Ginobili, Fabricio Oberto, Andres Nocioni and Walter Hermann, Luis Scola’s Argentina team still managed to beat the Spanish national team twice on their way to win the tournament. The moment he lofted the trophy of the tournament, there was only a slight smile on his face. The real championship trophies he craves are (waiting for him to collect) in USA and China (Note: the 2008 Olympics).

TITAN: First of all, congratulation to you finally realize your long-cherished dream landing into a NBA team. It seemed Rick Adelman likes you very much and thought that you are a great fit to his tactical systems. How do you feel upon hearing/learning that?

Scola: Ha Ha Ha, yes. Rick has high level of trust in me, and that is very good. In fact, we have only met and exchanged conversation for about 10 minutes, and we have yet to discuss specifically my role and how he wants to utlize me. But I just feel great. His (unreserved) trust on me is simply unbelievable. I think I need to whole-heartedly give my best to demonstrate that what he said about me is right, and that I’m not going to disappoint him. Therefore, I really have to play extremely diligent to prove myself.

TITAN: Do you know Yao Ming? Have you played against him before?

Scola: Of course, I know him. We have played against each other in the 2004 Athens Olympics and the 2002 World Championship.

TITAN: So, how do you feel playing against him?

Scola: WOW !! He is simply inconceivably ridiculous! Everybody knows that he is a great player. But surprisingly, given his height, he still can shoot such accurately and can move very fast. I can only attempt to front him. His performance was just exaggeratedly dumbfounding and he was simply dominating.

TITAN: So in the new season, you will join the Houston Rockets and become team mate of Yao Ming. You and Yao Ming will form partnership in the interior. What does it mean to you?

Scola: I believe to every of Yao Ming’s team mate, to become his team mate will simplify a lot of problems. As far as I’m concerned, it is also the same. He is such an outstanding player, and whenever he is on court, he will just attract all the attention of the defenders, and thus, the pressure (and attention) of his team mates will be much less. Therefore to be his team mate and playing together with him definitely will be something great.

TITAN: You knew that Chuck Hayes had just extended his contract with the Houston Rockets. He plays the same position as yours. So in your own opinion, between you and Chuck Hayes, who will get the starting power forward position?

Scola: I don’t want to further discuss this question. I have never played together with him before, but I have reviewed several of his playing videos. I like the way he collaborated with his team mates, and he is one of such players that gives his best on every game. We are lucky that we still have him on our team, and it means a lot more to us. I don’t think we should care on who should start and who should play back-up.

TITAN: Ginobili once said Scola is the King of Argentina. What do you think?

Scola (Laughing): Hmmm he did say something like this. I’m very grateful, but I thought that title is really just too overwhelmingly big for me. But I like that title very much, as it gives me motivation and direction to strive on diligently.

TITAN: Then who do you think is the King of Argentina?

Scola: Perhaps it is Manu himself (with a wicked smile on his face)? That is almost for certain.

TITAN: Let’s draw an analogy; when playing on court, if offense is your right hand, and defense is your left hand so to speak, so as far as you’re concerned, which hand of yours is more powerful?

Scola: Definitely the right hand. I don’t have any doubts on that. I’m unusually right-wing!! (Smile)

TITAN: Then who is your most favorite active NBA player?

Scola: Amongst all active NBA players, I like Tim Duncan most. He is really perfect. Actually there are a lot of NBA players I like, but if you ask me who is the one I most like, then it has to be Tim Duncan.

TITAN: So you were picked in the draft 5 years ago by the San Antonio Spurs, but you never played a game for them. And right after you, Fabricio Oberto was drafted by the Spurs (in 2005), and he immediately had his own position in the team………

Scola: No! No! No! I have been longing intensively to be playing in the NBA. And it certainly sucks to see time just flew by so rapidly. But I certainly am not jealous or grudged the successes of others. I felt so happy for Fabricio Oberto; he certainly helped his team to win the championship. I am also very happy myself that I finally managed to make it to NBA.

TITAN: Since you mentioned the championship, let’s chat about Houston Rockets’ road to the championship. The Rockets has Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming, 2 NBA All Stars players, and other excellent players like Shane Battier. And now you have also joined. So in your own opinion, is the Houston Rockets still very far from becoming the NBA champion?

Scola: (I think) very quickly (we shall become champion). But no team can easily win the NBA championship. We need to play whole-heartedly (as a team) right from the preseason throughout the regular season. You should know that just gathering a bunch of outstanding players will not necessarily bring you the championship (automatically); there are lots of other complex factors; but I also think that it is a pre-condition that a championship team is formed by many outstanding players. To summarize, I really think we can quickly ascend to the pinnacle…. Yes….extremely quick.

TITAN: Now, your dream finally came true and you have really joined a NBA team and own more than US$ 3 million contract. But very soon, you will have to face the challenges from some of the best of the best players coming from all over the world. Do you feel the pressure at all?

Scola: Yes, I do feel the pressure, but at the same time, I thought it is a good thing. People (and fans) hold lofty expectation about you as well as high expectation about your team, and as far as I’m concerned, it is a good thing. I thought there is nothing worthy to be worrying about and there should be nothing to be worried. I have full confidence (in myself), and therefore I simply will not worry about such so-called “pressure”.

TITAN: The Argentine national team won the Olympic championship in the previous Olympic. As its team captain, which country you think is Argentina’s biggest threat and opponent coming next year in Beijing?

Scola: Well many countries will have the strength and capabilities to challenge us. A lot of them have grown and developed with such a speed surpassing all our imagination. Personally, I believe maybe next year offers a good opportunity for China. The Chinese national players are so young, and with a lot of potentials and talents, and they are also very tall; and they have become more balanced in each position with addition of players. I really think when the time comes, China should be able to get results and improve on its position. But of course, if you talk about winning the championship, then you just can’t write off the USA team. In fact the very first question we should ask ourselves is how can we beat them? And (besides USA) there is certainly Greece; they are also a force that could not be easily reckoned with. As to other teams, it is very difficult (for me) to predict now.

TITAN: Now let’s have some more relaxed topics. Are you married? Do you have brothers and sisters?

Scola: Yes, I’m married, and I already have 2 kids; all boys, Tomas and Piero (?). I have two elder sisters.

TITAN:
So will you move to live in Houston immediately? What is the latest progress about it?

Scola: I will move into Houston, but it has to be waited until after the FIBA Americas Championship in Las Vegas (Note: August 22 to September 2).

TITAN: So are you family members also going to USA together with you?

Scola: Of course! But I will go first, because I must first find a house, and after everything is prepared and settled, then I will move them in to live together with me.

TITAN: So you have not found the right house yet in Houston?

Scola: Yes, I only spent 3 days in Houston when I signed the contract. Although I had looked at several houses already, I’m not satisfied with them. I think I will have to spend more time to look for a few more options before I can decide.

TITAN: Why did you choose Number 4 (for your jersey)?

Scola: Well, my father used to have that number. I just inherited it from him.

TITAN: What nicknames do you have?

Scola: I do not have any nicknames. HA HA HA. I always use my real name.

TITAN: What do you usually do in your leisure time? You know, many NBA players of your age like to play computer games or something like that.

Scola: Well, I used to like playing computer games, watching TV and surfing on the Internet. But right after the birth of my 2 sons, I started to devote all my leisure time to look after them as far as I possibly can. Basketball is taking up more and more of my time, and sometimes for long period, you will have very little time and opportunity to be with your family. Therefore I am willing to spend all my leisure time with my family, and thereafter, my life has completely changed.

Even right after our interview, the amiable Luis Scola had not forgotten to express sympathy for our ultra lengthy long haul flight. He said he fully understood the painful feeling of such flights. He described that painful feeling as “sitting there very much like a stupid bull ”, very Argentine style in his description. Just like the sunshine (on this day of the interview), Luis Scola makes everyone around him feel warm and comfortable.

Sponsored Link
dntrwl is offline Old 08-13-2007, 02:32 AM   #2
dntrwl
dntrwl is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously gooddntrwl is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Mar 2007
Member: #23234
all he needs now is a haircut and he'll be winning championships in no time!

robbie380 is offline Old 08-13-2007, 02:46 AM   #3
robbie380
Contributing Member
robbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchrobbie380 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Aug 2002
Member: #6630
wow i am extremely impressed with scola. he sounds like a winner and he sounds hungry for more. i love it.

Bald Puppet is offline Old 08-13-2007, 02:48 AM   #4
Bald Puppet
Bald Puppet is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Jul 2007
Member: #24512
No! Keep the long hair, it looks cool man!

BigM is offline Old 08-13-2007, 02:51 AM   #5
BigM
Contributing Member
BigM is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineBigM is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jul 2001
Member: #2764
good stuff pryuen, thanks.

once again, scola comes out looking sharp in an interview.

krnxsnoopy is offline Old 08-13-2007, 02:52 AM   #6
krnxsnoopy
Contributing Member
krnxsnoopy is James Harden -- racking up the pointskrnxsnoopy is James Harden -- racking up the pointskrnxsnoopy is James Harden -- racking up the pointskrnxsnoopy is James Harden -- racking up the pointskrnxsnoopy is James Harden -- racking up the pointskrnxsnoopy is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: May 2005
Member: #16206
Very good read!! Thanks alot!

H-TownBBall is offline Old 08-13-2007, 02:52 AM   #7
H-TownBBall
H-TownBBall is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: May 2006
Member: #18064
Simply put, Scola is a winner.

freemaniam is offline Old 08-13-2007, 03:02 AM   #8
freemaniam
Contributing Member
freemaniam is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Nov 2005
Member: #16369
5-star effort, 5-star determination.

I noticed the article this morning and wondered if I should for once contribute to the bbs a bit by translating this for Clutchfans. I gave up in a second when I realized that I have to search all the Argentina Players' names in English and the loaded Q&As in this interview.

Guys you should really grateful to Pryuen for his works and contributions.

tsunami is offline Old 08-13-2007, 03:06 AM   #9
tsunami
tsunami is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2006
Member: #20302
>>>
TITAN: What do you usually do in your leisure time? You know, many NBA players of your age like to play computer games or something like that.
<<<

This question is stupid. I don't think many NBA players take computer games as their hobby.

TheBornLoser is offline Old 08-13-2007, 03:08 AM   #10
TheBornLoser
Contributing Member
TheBornLoser is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodTheBornLoser is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Member: #23466
Thanks alot Pruyen.

I am D@MN SURE now that Scola will NOT BE Vassilis Spanoulis back in the NBA :D

meh is offline Old 08-13-2007, 03:10 AM   #11
meh
Contributing Member
meh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4868
He says the right things, and he is quite mature as a basketball player. But I still feel that Scola's biggest adjustment is going from focal point of a team to role player. Scola has an excellent low post game, but can he play off the ball when Yao and T-Mac are dominating the rock? I've heard that his jumper is only average. He needs to be shooting mid-range jumpers the entire summer, because that's what can separate him from Hayes, whom teams double Yao off of without any fear.

pryuen is offline Old 08-13-2007, 03:11 AM   #12
pryuen
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemaniam
5-star effort, 5-star determination.

I noticed the article this morning and wondered if I should for once contribute to the bbs a bit by translating this for Clutchfans. I gave up in a second when I realized that I have to search all the Argentina Players' names in English and the loaded Q&As in this interview.

Guys you should really grateful to Pryuen for his works and contributions.
The Google search for the names of those Argentine players is the easy part. No big deal.

But yeah, the article is a very long one....but luckily alot of the Q&As are pretty short.

But neverthelss, it took me a full 3 hours for doing that, while I travelled to work from Hong Kong to China this morning.....2 hours on the train, and another hour during the lunch break.

I really hope you guys like that.

TheBornLoser is offline Old 08-13-2007, 03:15 AM   #13
TheBornLoser
Contributing Member
TheBornLoser is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodTheBornLoser is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Member: #23466
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh
He says the right things, and he is quite mature as a basketball player. But I still feel that Scola's biggest adjustment is going from focal point of a team to role player. Scola has an excellent low post game, but can he play off the ball when Yao and T-Mac are dominating the rock? I've heard that his jumper is only average. He needs to be shooting mid-range jumpers the entire summer, because that's what can separate him from Hayes, whom teams double Yao off of without any fear.
Scola's smart. He will know what to do.

Also have to take into account Adelman's strategies and system. He should be able to work something out.

BTW... in the Argentine national team, Ginobilli is the focal point... yet Scola somehow finds ways to make huge contributions to the team. While you could be cautious and wary about his joining the Rockets, I am extremely optimistic that he has the maturity, the smarts and the determination to be a major contributor to the the team.

nejyh is online now Old 08-13-2007, 03:36 AM   #14
nejyh
Contributing Member
nejyh is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: May 2001
Member: #2543
I'm a great Scola believer, franckly, I don't expect less than 12/7 for the first year, the guy is such a winner.

Coca Cola Scola is offline Old 08-13-2007, 03:40 AM   #15
Coca Cola Scola
Coca Cola Scola is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #24647
I like how he artfully handled the question of the competition of Hayes and starting or coming off the bench....he handles it like a skilled attorney. His point that the team needs to work together from the start of the preseason (and that just having a collection of stars won't get it done) shows his understanding of what it takes to win.

Great job, Pryuen. Did you translate this from an Argentine newspaper? Didn't even know you could read Argentine (Spanish?).... You're a valuable member.

Coca Cola Scola is offline Old 08-13-2007, 03:42 AM   #16
Coca Cola Scola
Coca Cola Scola is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #24647
Quote:
Originally Posted by dntrwl
all he needs now is a haircut and he'll be winning championships in no time!
He should keep his hair.....it's the source of his powers!!!!
I think his hair makes him look cool like one of those Warriors in those Braveheart/Last of the Mochican/King Arthur type movies....

pryuen is offline Old 08-13-2007, 03:59 AM   #17
pryuen
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coca Cola Scola

Great job, Pryuen. Did you translate this from an Argentine newspaper? Didn't even know you could read Argentine (Spanish?).... You're a valuable member.
Of course not. :D

The interview, probably conducted in English and written in Chinese, was done there in Buenos Aires, Argentina by this Titan Sports reporter, Jia Fan.

I think, as mentioned in the beginning paragraph of the interview, there was this warm-up tournament of the Argentine national team in preparation for the FIBA Americas Championship (to be held August 22 to September 2 in Las Vegas) sponsored by Li Ning & Co. (as Li Ning endorsed the apparel and gears of the national basketball team of Argentina); these Chinese reporters were there for the coverage of the tournament, and therefore got this chance for interviewing Luis Scola.

BTW, it was reported just now over sohu.com that in aother warm up game with the Canadian national team, Argentina completely demolished Canada 113 vs 83. Luis Scola ruthlessly dominated the interior and was the highest scorer with 31 points.

http://sports.sohu.com/20070813/n251557799.shtml

ferrarif1286 is offline Old 08-13-2007, 04:08 AM   #18
ferrarif1286
ferrarif1286 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2006
Member: #20664
scola exploded 31 pts in todays game somewhere in argentina

pryuen is offline Old 08-13-2007, 04:17 AM   #19
pryuen
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1286
scola exploded 31 pts in todays game somewhere in argentina
Please refer to the link and the last paragraph of my previous post.....

The game was played yesterday, not today; it was in Buenos Aires; and the opponent: the Canadian national team (playing without Steve Nash, I supposed).

Luis Scola poured in 31 points.

And the Argentina team will leave for San Juan, Puerto Rico to play their last 2 warm-up games there on August 16 ~ 18, before arriving Las Vegas for the FIBA Aemricas Championship, to be held August 22 to September 2.

angryman is offline Old 08-13-2007, 04:25 AM   #20
angryman
Contributing Member
angryman is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #11368
Thanks, pryuen.

The more I read about Scola, the more I like him. This offseason is killing me.