1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biggio is 4 away, Alltime Righthanded Doubles Leader:WHERE IS THE DAMN ESPN HEADLINE?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Brando2101, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

This is ridiculous. Biggio is a great story for the MLB. He would be a distraction from the Barry Bonds hoopla.

He has that "this is how baseball should be played" aura about him. I hate espn so much. They have a monopoly on sports dialog in this country.

2. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Right-handed Doubles Leader vs All-time Home Run Leader

Hmmm.. Let me think about that one. :rolleyes:

What about 600 HRs for Sammy and Junior approaching 600?

3. Brando2101

Oh and everyone needs to shut up about the horror of benching Biggio so he gets the record at home.

Who cares if we lose a couple games because of this.

This is a milestone that simply never happens. We should be so lucky that we have a guy that is going to do it. Think about it, Hunter Pence is the only possible guy that can get to the same mark on the team right now...and he's a ROOKIE! that means in the highly unlikely scenario he stays with the team and hits like a machine, we could be looking at another 3,000 hit player in 2037. That's the earliest.

Can't wait to see it on the home field.

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

you must have confused biggio for a red sock or yankee. don't wait for the headline. and if roger clemens even pitches the same day as biggio, don't expect too much when he actually gets 3000 either.

5. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

eh they don't like to shot him unless he is striking out in a key situation. their NY pricks what do you expect?

6. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

i mean show***

7. Brando2101

Jr. is 18 home runs away. Biggio is 4 hits away. I don't think it's fair to compare the plugs they are getting. People don't respect Sammy. He's one of the big 3 poster childreen for steroids in baseball. Like Bonds, I think many would prefer that he not get anymore more records.

I have no idea what point you could possibly be making. I didn't say it was a bigger deal than Barry's record. It's really stupid to say that Biggio wouldn't be getting the plug just because there is an even bigger record that will be broken in a few weeks.

And, I didn't say that they should be shutting up about barry. I said that this would be a great story to help the image of the league. It would be a good distraction while Barry is still chasing his record.

In the 100+ years of MLB, Biggio is now the Alltime leader in a pretty significant category. (to be fair, i'm not sure when they started keeping track of doubles) but nevertheless, there is a lot of history Biggio has surpassed.

#7 Brando2101, Jun 25, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  8. Brando2101

Palmeiro was an Oriole when he broke 3,000. He got a lot of press and there was a lot of anticipation before he did it too.

Palmeiro is a slugger. Biggio gets his stuff the hard way. He's the guy most people around the country just don't notice.

9. Jumbo Mutombo

Jumbo Mutombo Member

Maybe if Biggio had helped his team win a few championships he'd get some attention.

ooooooooooh that's a FACT JACK!

10. Brando2101

Touché

11. aka ace

aka ace Rookie

Ah c'mon, Biggio and Bonds should never be compared with each other. Barry has like 50+ records held, Biggio has like what 2-3? We all know whos better (Barry Bonds).

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I think if you started a sports tv network that basically publicly stated you created the network solely because ESPN sucks (i.e. you dont care about Bosox and yanks) you'd get a giant market share in no time.

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

He'll be a headline when he breaks the record. I think people (in general) b**** about the "no respect" thing and the east-coast bias and all that stuff a little too much, even if it's somewhat true..

Bidge is well-respected by everyone in the game and the media, everyone says he's a sure HoFer. Shoot, he got 10 questions with Buster Olney this past week, and I think we can all be safe in saying that it wasn't because of the stellar season he's having thus far.

Not that Buster is the biggest deal in the world...but it's easy to point out a single thing you don't see (the main headline when he's not even at the record yet)...but there are other things besides that.

14. kaleidosky

By the way..is there an obvious physical reason I'm missing that the top FIVE doubles hitters of all time are lefties right now? That's ridiculous enough if the odds were 50-50, but we're talking about a game with more right-handed hitters than lefty to start with in the pool.

So just because there are more righty pitchers so lefties succeed THAT much more? Does this lefty bias show up in other hitting stats all time? Hmm quick thoughts of some all-time greats...Aaron, Mantle, Jackson, Ruth.. 3/4 of those 4 were lefty. Today's homerun guys--McGwire, Sosa, Bonds...1/3 lefty.

15. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Aren't most fields shorter to left field than right? That would give more space for more balls pulled by lefties.

(I don't really know, just grasping at straws here.)

16. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

You expect Hunter to play for 30 years? That'd be somethin'

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Biggio has as many World Series appearances as Bonds and one more than Griffey.

18. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

30 straight 20 homerun seasons will get him into the 600 homerun club. Hunter, we've got faith in you!

19. kaleidosky

Not even that! Just 30 years AVERaging 20 homers... cause he'll surely hit 30+ for at least a few! GOTTA happen.

20. Brando2101

haha. woops. i mean 20.
    There is no way that happens. It was just the closest we could possibly be to another 3,000 hit player.