1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Oct 28, 2014.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I listened to that podcast. I believe Michele Roberts was referring to the cap in 2016-17 (the first year in which the new TV revenue actually kicks in) being "a little higher than" Zach's guesstimate of "the high 70s". It was in reference to the SUPPRESSION of the salary cap via smoothing, not the marginal increase of the cap in 2015-16 as part of that same smoothing process.

I don't believe a concrete figure was thrown out on that podcast for the proposed smoothed 2015-16 cap figure, but I'd guess that it'd be in the very low 70s.

1 person likes this.
  2. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

After Rubio 15 M, Kemba Walker 12 M, Parsons 14 M
    Ariza contract is a bargain.
    And Lowry 12 M was a bargain too

and Harden Max looks fantastic (he will earn Rubios money)

3. Raven

Raven Member

I wonder how much Reggie Jackson will get offered?

4. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Bima with all these crazy deals, do you think morey saying that parsons contract would be the worst in the league was kinda incorrect and maybe parsons got the money the new cba will allow

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Parsons still isn't worth his contract.

6. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

If the cap jumps to what it's going to, he kinda is. Everyone thought he was worth around 10-12mill. So if the cap rises by as much as it's going to are we going to say it's the worst contract in the league? I don't think so

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I never said it was the worst contract in the league. I even thought of re-signing him after Ariza signed with us, despite the fact that we needed cap room for a PF. Some of us, including myself didn't know about the chemistry problems that Parsons was creating for us.

Fortunately,K-Pap is proving to be a cheaper and effective backup for us. Obviously, I am looking at things from a Rockets perspective.

He might be a good fit for the Mavs, but can he prove to be a crucial player in a championship run? I don't think so.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Calderon should be the target

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It wasn't the amount of money Morey hated, it was the length(can opt out after year 2), and the massive trade kicker that a team would have to pay to trade for him. Morey basically said it's an untradeable contract, and if he performs well enough he can still leave after year two.

These other deals won't be so bad for their teams if the cba jumps up and they improve as players because on the backend of their contracts they should be out performing their market value (or at least they are banking on that happening).

Parsons' contract will never have that kind of trade value much that a player on the backend of one of these deals will have due to length(will be hitting FA too early) and due to inability to move him due to trade ramifications put into contract.

Bima might have different thoughts but that's what I see about the Parsons contract situation that would scare me.

#89 dobro1229, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  10. NotChandlerParsons

Eh, a lot of guys ended up getting that same opt out. I don't remember exactly when he said that but I don't think it was true even then -- Deron has the same opt out and is making $20m.

11. texxaslonghorn

How can it be that I only just now started reading this site?

This is an excellent and informative article. Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yeah, pretty much this. Although the ROCKETS would need to pay that trade kicker in Parsons's contract (that rule changed in the latest CBA). Lack of tradability (more so than just salary) made that offer sheet too toxic for Morey's blood. That said, had Bosh just said "Yes," Les and Morey still would have matched it.

13. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Thank God for Bosh...

I may be in the minority but I like the path that Morey is taking right now... Surround your offensive players with guys who are defensive minded and know their role... That combination has worked for every championship team.

T_Man

#93 T_Man, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  14. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Parson's contract will be better as the cap rises, but you can't just hand out an extra 5 million per year to everybody.

Teams are going to spend like drunken sailors for a while thinking "oh, the cap's going through the roof", and then all the sudden, they will be a bad cap situation because their max players will be getting 30 million, and their role player will be getting 15.

15. basketballholic

We still need a third 2-way great player. Bosh (and by extension Parsons) would have given us a true championship contender.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Bima- Separate note, I'd like your opinion on-

(Assuming what you are getting at here is that your "guess" is that the cap next Summer will be in the low 70's).

I brought this up in another thread, but figured you might see it here and be able to give your thoughts.

I see folks keep on throwing out the notion that "The Rockets WILL have Max Cap Space This Summer". IMO that seems like false pretense. If I run the numbers I really don't see a way the Rockets can have over 15 to 17 million in cap space even if we ASSUME (I have assumptions but they are necessary here unfortunately) they waive non-guaranteed contracts like Papanikolaou, Black, & Canaan, and (again) we ASSUME the cap goes up to something crazy like 75 million.

So long story short, do you think its a little over-zealous to start talking "Max Cap Space" next Summer, and instead maybe try to shift the narrative here a bit? Also there is the competitive aspect of having capspace next year. Its not like teams like the Mavericks, and the Knicks, etc. aren't getting the same jump in their salary cap & have more to offer. Thanks.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Worst in the league?

No, it isn't the worst even right now. However, I still think that Morey would have passed on matching even with the cap expanding.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Bosh is just about the perfect player to play the 4 for the Rockets. He runs the floor, can defend, rebound and is an exceptional outside shooter.

I will always wonder "what if" with the Rockets rolling out: Howard, Bosh, Parsons, Harden, Beverly .....

19. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Just another subtle slight by nbatv. I caught the end of "The Starters," they were discussing tonight's games and giving their picks. They showed a graphic that said all of tonight's games with their picks...they did not show the rockets game...apparently we aren't even worthy of discussion :/

20. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

DOPE! Wrong thread, ignore.