1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don't look now, but: The Eastern Conference is no longer the Leastern Conference

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Jan 3, 2015.

1. what

what Member

The eastern conference has been the butt of jokes, but that is changing quickly. Don't look now, but I feel the eastern conference stacks up well with the west.

1. Chicago Bulls
    The bulls probably have had the biggest combination of luck and good fortune. They have found a star in Jimmy Butler. Derrick Rose is starting to make you forget that he's been injured going on two years now and Pau has found the scoring touch that made him a valuable part of Lakers championship run. Derrick Rose and Jimmy Butler look like absolute beasts on the perimeter. As good as I've seen since Rip and Chauncy as two way players. They can manhandle your backcourt and then get out on the break and beat you down court. Forget Klay and Steph, Rose and Butler are the most elite backcourt in probably the last 5 years or more.

2. Cleveland Cavilers
    Lebron, Love and Kyrie. Enough said.

3. Milwaukee Bucks
    If it weren't for a freak injury to Parker, the Bucks might have had a 50 win season. They are young and talented. Besides Parker, they have probably a top 3 young player in the game: The Greek Freak. Add to that a copious defense lead by Larry Sanders and John Henson and this is one of the rare young teams that both have the ability to play defense and the talent to. Mix in Parker and Giannis both who have prolific potential as mismatches on the court it's easy to see how 1 more piece (a great point guard) from really challenging in the playoffs.

4. Atlanta Hawks
    The hawks have made improvements mostly by keeping Al Horford and Jeff Teague and building a team around that. They made smart FA signing (Paul Milsap and Thabo), they hit on rookie sensation Dennis Schroder, added a few 3 point shooters (Korver and Demare Carroll), and most importantly divorced themselves from the me players: JJ and Josh Smith. Looking at their roster it is well-balanced and experienced in all areas. The only thing holding them back: does Atlanta even realize they have a basketball team? - meaning the fans.

5. Toronto Raptors
    The raptors have been playing phenomenal due to the creative skills of Kyle Lowry and Dwane Casey, maybe a smattering of Masai Ujiri. It's hard to say which has been more important to the rise of the raptors, but when you sport (rightly or wrongly) the greatest (by the numbers) offense in league history, I have to think Analytics are somehow behind it. The raptors are doing more with less than any team in the league.

6. Washington Wizards
    Every stat except scoring is up this year for John Wall, which tells you that he has taken to heart that he needs to be a leader on the team and not just a scorer. Bradley Beal current shots better from 3 point land than 2 point land. They added veteran Paul Pierce and Rasual Butler along with a stout defense lead by Nene and Gortat. The maturation of John Wall is going to be the story with this team but he has pieces around him now and they could take the next step.

I haven't even mentioned Indiana, Miami, Detroit and Brooklyn, all of which could be an above .500 team this year.

2. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Eastern conference got better, but so did the Western. The gap remains the same. The problem is in your last sentence:

Replace those four with Phoenix, New Orleans, Sacramento and Utah Jazz. These four teams probably won't see the playoffs in Western conference. Probably no more than one of them doesn't make the playoffs in Eastern conference.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's still no West, but there are some quality teams out there. Pacers are also a team that is looking competent even without Paul George and Lance Stephenson. They'll be good once again soon enough.

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Some of those teams look good because they are in the East....

When you play 2/3rds of your games against the weaker teams, then you get more wins.... milwaukee/ cleveland would be sub .500 in the West.

5. what

what Member

That's right: you have Indiana, Brooklyn and Detroit (they have too much talent not to make a move soon). Also, I like what the Celtics are doing with Marcus Smart, Kelly Olynyk, Tyler Zeller and Brandon Wright. They still need to learn how to play defense but they have some good pieces.

6. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

They still are. I think none of the eastern teams would make the play offs if they were in the west.

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=9415664#post9415664

Current cumulative record of West vs East is 116 - 70.
    It started 48-22, then went 48-27, and has recently gone 20-21.
    The last 41 games between the East and West have been even, so yes, balance has recently gotten better. I don't think that should be discounted. On the other hand, you can't throw out the first 70 inter-conference games or the following 75 either. So, as always, this tracking is a work in progress, and we'll see what happens.

None of this makes up for the competitive injustice of the last 15 years where bad Eastern teams would make the playoffs and get lower picks and perpetually be bad where good Western teams would miss the playoffs and get into the lottery, and great Eastern teams would get to beat up on terrible Eastern teams (that had bad luck, bad management, or both) on their way to the finals when great Western teams had to battle through a gauntlet.

Interesting side note from scanning the standings: Milwaukee is .500 at home, .500 on the road, .500 vs. the West, and .500 vs the East.

8. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Chicago could. Washington could squeak in as an 8th seed also.

9. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

shut up, what

10. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

lol Cleveland are no threat at all, only threats are Chicago, Washington, Toronto and Atlanta, they are still the Leastern Conference because the conference has no depth

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Washington heads on a west coast road trip, they are 1-3 with their one win against a scuffling Rockets squad. Not saying they are a bad team, but they would be down around Phoenix and New Orleans if they played a regular western conference schedule.

Atlanta is playing extremely well right now, but basically this same roster won 38 games last season. Granted Horford missed a lot of time last season, but I have trouble buying them as being this good. Time will tell, but so far their results have been beyond question, beating all comers regardless of conference.

Toronto and Chicago are legit good. Their records are inflated by the East, but even in the west they could be playoff teams. Having said that, I still think by years end the 8 best teams will all be out west, and the west continues to dominate the head to head.

12. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

Bucks winning 50 games is a bit of a stretch there huh?

13. joeson332

joeson332 Member

even with Jabari think he was reaching there lol. But they are a very impressive good team

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Aside from the Bulls nobody in the west would be scared of those teams in a 7 game series and Rose is a papercut away from season ending surgery at all times.

15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Lol, you're smoking crack. The eastern conference sucks, and we're all dumber for having seen this post. (no, I didn't even bother reading it after looking at your list)

16. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Didn't the Hawks and Wizards recently whip the Rockets?

17. anonmau5

anonmau5 Member

LOL I almost never agree with what.

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think the top teams in the East would be battling it out for the 8th seed if they were in the West. The Cavs aren't even playing well in the terrible East against inferior competition. The teams that do have good records have inflated records.

19. watashi315

watashi315 Member

The only three teams out east that could compete out west are: Atlanta, Toronto, and Chicago. Everyone else are still fakers. Yes, I'm including Wizards as a faker even though they are a legit team out east.

20. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I actually give Toronto and Atlanta a lot of credit. No matter how you slice it they took huge jumps this year. It's no fluke they are both playing great basketball and should be looked at as contenders