1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Learning a New Language

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Big MAK, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Fail? You're cool, bro.

I know people who minored in Spanish and can probably write law binding contracts in Spanish, but can't speak it worth a damn. I'd much rather be able to carry on a halfway decent conversation with someone when I'm traveling in foreign countries than read and write in perfect Spanish.

1 person likes this.
  2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Thats actually true. I can read Spanish very well but my speaking abilities are limited. I can converse but I sound like a 6 year old.

3. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

4. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

Don't feed the trolls.

After a you build grammatical foundation, and have a good understanding of a a well-rounded cannon of a nouns, the conversational step (the hardest) will improve the adeptness of your recall, and helps best to reinforce the hardest parts to putting it all together and speaking the damn language: the conjugations, direct objects, and sentence structure.

I'm telling you, buy '501 Verbs.' It is well formatted, and if a verb you need to use is not in the 501, you can find a template word whose conjugations will match.

I might add that google translate is a great way for quick answers.

Immersion is the only way. You'll be thinking in Spanish in a month.

5. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

"vosotros" is only used in spain.

everyone in Mexico and south america, use "ustedes".
    even for the examples you gave, we use "ustedes"

In Mexico and south america:
    ustedes is the familiar plural form, ustedes could be the group version of tu.

6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

you mad bro?
    Because grammar is

right? :rolleyes:

I'm cool because I don't want you to sound like a freaking tool when you speak like a cave man.

'me big mak, me hotel here?'

come on dude... or you just want to contradict to contradict? When your opening post says a key thing is kinda pointless we have to sorta stop right there.

Anyway it to further clarify, you use the basic grammar and structure to THEN be able to have conversations. You can't have it downloaded like neo.

Unfortunately there are a few... just a few.. verb structures/grammar pieces that are needed to sort of get the engine running.

Once you are up and going and know the structure. You can say simple things. That's when you begin to add vocabulary. you can say 'what is that on the table there' in spanish and then she say 'botella' and you go..'oh okay.. botella.. that's bottle..hmm mental note..botella is bottle'..and then you learn from your conversation too!!hooray.

No I'm just cool because I want to help you.

it's fun when someone calls someone a troll

and then completely agrees with the person they are calling troll. Ship-weak is just like that. Constantly lowering the bar until babies can crawl right through and own him. I don't need to..well not here too much.. todays post sorta sums it all up for shipwhack. good jorb.

verbs? umm sentence structure? umm grammar? you are just so monumentally dumb that I can't even fathom it right now. This thread is not for you.

[​IMG]

7. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

I speak about 15 languages.

8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

so then you can tell us the overall action plan/strategy when tackling a new language? thanks

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

MODERATING, correcting (your posts, when possible, have been altered to a more , assisting, helping out:
    Acepto.

There are many ways. You could say perhaps or maybe. Why don't you like the idea?
    ^ This one is difficult. I'll do it here: "Yo puedo hablar español con mis amigos pero es muy (¿cómo se dice?)... roto. No soy bueno con la gramática. Yo practico viendo Los Simpsons en la tele con subtítulos en español. Eso me ayuda mucho. ¿Me comprenden, vatos?"
    That helps A LITTLE. It's not always correct.

:cool: Nice. Speak to her slowly.

This is true. I learned English by immesing myself into the U.S.A. schools. I learned quickly. I watched TV. I only hung out with people who spoke it. You won't learn another language if you don't hang out with those who speak it. Have you seen "The 13th Warrior"? This movie illustrates this.

He didn't win your rep. He earned the rep you gave him. I think you gave it to him.

:cool: Minor corrections.

Trust this guy ^^. He lives speaking it.

AGREED.

:( Can't believe I missed this thread initially. Disculpen.

1 person likes this.
  10. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Spanish question... Why does 'dar un paseo' mean 'to take a walk' when dar means give? Tomar is 'to take' so why isn't the phrase 'tomar un paseo'?

11. da_juice

da_juice Member

Because it's a transliteration. Spanish has a lot of those.

For instance, you'll probably say "me llamo Big Mak" literally, that means I call myself Big Mak. Or "hacer un viaje" is to do a vacation- literally that's what it means.

Things like that you just have to accept.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

In a colloquial sense, you won't say these things literally or verbatim. They don't translate word by word.

You have to understand that in the United States, you may have some known phrases like "going to the movies" when you really don't go to the literal movies, you go to a theater... or like when you take a vacation you don't actually literally grab it so it can be with you.

The same thing happens in Spanish-speaking countries. :eek:

You may have to study the REFLEXIVE verbs, which are also in the same neighborhood as in the phrases that might not translate completely.
    http://www.rocketlanguages.com/spanish/resources/spanish_reflexive_verbs.php
    Appropriately enough, from the ROCKETlanguages web site! :grin:

13. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Why do you park in a driveway and drive in a parkway?

But yeah Swoly wrote a nice explanation about it.

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

spanish is one thing...mandarin is a whole different beast. It's almost been 2 weeks and im still not sure im pronouncing xiexie right