1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Learning a New Language

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Big MAK, Jul 18, 2012.

1. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

2. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

see, i couldn't have said this phrase in spanish but i can read it and understand it clearly.

"i can speak spanish amongst my friends but it's not grammatically correct. i practice watching the simpsons with the spanish captions. it helps alot. understand fools?"

1 person likes this.
  3. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Orale primo!!! Tu ganar mi reputacion!!!

Yo solamente comprende jiente hablar en espanol despacio no rapido.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

My Spanish is a bit rusty but here I go:
    "Romper" es un infinitivo. "Roto" es palabra apropiado.
    "Puedes" es conjugar incorrecto. El apropiado conjugacion seria "puedo" y no necesita "yo" antes de.
    "Practica" es conjugar incorrecto tambien. El correcto conjugacion seria "practico".
    "Watche"? Ese ni "caption" eran palabras en espanol. :grin:
    Usa "de" en lugar de "el".

Yo soy sauce.

5. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

I've studied French in school, dedicated all my free time listening to tapes, studying book after book/tv/movies...I'm nowhere near as fluent as I'd like.

I'm going to French language school in Paris for a few months...I think full immersion is probably your best bet.

6. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

the correct form of that would be:

"Yo puedo hablar español con mis amigos pero no es bueno gramaticalmente. Yo practico viendo Los Simpsons en la tele con subtítulos en español. Eso me ayuda mucho. ¿Me comprenden vatos?

1 person likes this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My son told me one day, out of the blue, that he wanted Rosetta Stone for Japanese. He was doing extremely well in school, so we bought him the entire thingy (you can buy it in sections, or buy the entire lesson software, which is a bit cheaper if you end up buying the whole thing anyway). To my astonishment, he enjoyed learning Japanese with their interactive software (one of the things you can do is talk into a microphone connected to your PC/laptop/etc., and it gives you feedback on how you're doing). He went through the entire course while in his senior year at a magnet high school, and then went out of state to college, where he took Japanese as his language requirement, and easily made A's. So check it out. Apparently, it works. Costco frequently has them on sale, and they have it in several languages. You learn how to speak it, read it, and write it. The most difficult deal for him was the writing part, it being Japanese and all.

8. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

no. prefiero op.

9. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Verbos y tiempos. Verbos y tiempos!!!
    I've been in Peru for almost 2 years now and I still get lost on verbs and tenses. Uggghhhh, it's freaking aggravating. The nouns will come easy, as will the bad words, sayings and other slang.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm learning Spanish by using a highly recommended self-teaching book, watching one episode of a subtitled spanish soap per week, and the most helpful thing has been music. I am still an amateur Spanish speaker, but I can sing along with one entire Elvis Crespo album and know what each individual word means in English. Singing seems to help me memorize.

I also decided to translate the usual Spanish words we hear in songs like otra vez, culo, etc. Thanks Pitbull. lol

Good luck. Each language you learn dramatically improves your ability to learn languages. The most dramatic shift is when you learn your second language.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Si si, taco señor.

12. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Do you guys actually use the vosotros form? Or does everyone pretty much always use ustedes.

13. gah

gah Member

[​IMG]

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

Pinche baludos.

Yo no uso los acentos. Los usaba yo cuando tenia un macbook, porque era mas facil pero ahora con el PC, no.

Oh y como se dice 'quizas' en ingles es kiss ass.

Ya es la hora, la clase esta terminado.

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

No, no dije los ojo los acentos en escrito, dije "escuches por los accentos cuando habla con un hispanohablante por que sus accentos son fuetres y hacen comprehnsivo muy dificil. Pero, no estes desanimado."

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You need to do something that forces you to speak it on a regular basis and made yourself understood by other people. Immersion is the best and quickest way. If you can't do that, find a group or a partner you can speak Spanish with and with whom English will not be allowed. A soap might be an incremental help, but I don't think it'll do the trick because you won't be practicing speaking.

17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

FAIL.

Focusing on sentence structure is the key to being able to speak. You can't go around saying 'casa' and 'septimo' you need to learn how to structure sentences. Even if in present tense people will understand your point. So look at the verb ir and ser but mainly spend some time understanding the basic 'I run' 'I walk' ,'you run, you talk etc' structure.

If you are able to formulate sentences then you can begin to add vocabulary. I spent a few years in europe, and lived in spain. Sure being around it all day is the way to learn it, but I wouldnt have gotten very far if I didnt know structure to start. I mean very basic structure.

I spent almost equal amount of time in france as spain, and I never took a day of french class and STILL dont know much. It doesnt help that french people wont allow you to speak french unless it is perfect, but I never had any structure for formulating sentences so I would go around saying objects 'le gare ici?' If I had spent probably not even a few weeks understanding structure of french and the main formulations, I would probably be able to carry a conversation. In french I simply can't. I can get by, and I can curse you out pretty good but nothing really to show for it.

As for watching movies, I would say to first watch movies in english with subtitles in spanish. That will give a familiarity with the words and seeing the written version. Definitely practicing is recommended but some of the garbage spanish I hear from 'natives' makes me shudder.

18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Vosotros is used everyday and is VERY part of spanish from spain. It has a very practical use.

vosotros is used for 'you all' informal. It is the group version of tu.

Why would you address a bunch of small children as ustedes? When talk to a group of friends?

1 person likes this.
  19. CCorn

CCorn Member

me gusta mi reggae
    me gusta punk rock
    pero la cosa que me gusta mas es panochita

20. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Yo lol'd