1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Answer: FIRE MOREY

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by davestrate, Nov 20, 2010.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Larry Riley, Bob Myers >>>> Daryl Morey

Remember when the Rockets & Warriors were "equals"? ;)

One team moving forward, one team moving backwards.

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  2. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Fire the fat man

Cashmoney, cheke64 and Amir's Johnson like this.
  3. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

If Morey couldn't clear up Anderson & Brewer, he should be fired

4. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I hate that people on here give him a pass on the MDA hire. He absolutely had an input on that. He's the damn GM.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You people are so circlejerky.

Name another player Morey could have offered Anderson's contract to that would had us better than the team we had last season. A player that would actually sign here after our dumpster fire of a season.

roslolian and RudyTBag like this.
  6. Zergling

Zergling Member

Do people not realize how useless Brewer is? You guys really think we're the only people who knows he's utter trash? Why should anyone expect Morey to be able to deal him with his contract? He would have to be packaged in a big deal that hasn't been materialized yet, and the only purpose for him to even be in such a deal is to match salaries.

7. Zergling

Zergling Member

People are still criticizing the MDA hire? This is still a thing? He's a great fit for Harden and Morey's vision of how basketball should be played.

Batman Jones likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Morey is still the lesser evil, you know who the bigger and constant One is and he is not going anywhere soon.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

To these people, it doesn't matter. If he didn't spend the money, they'd say no one trusts him and he failed by not signing anyone.

Which, in essense, is saying: how come Morey couldn't sign the top FA's and convince them to come to a rebuilding team with question marks? lol

roslolian likes this.
  10. fattz

fattz Member

Name another team that would have signed Anderson (health / age / skill set) to that contract. (He is Matt Bullard 2.0 ---> maybe he can work the broadcast, too) Brewer has been Brewer his whole career that was a bad contract before the ink dryed. We need to add Gordon to list of bad contracts, 4 years really?
    I did like the chance we took on
    His drafting C-

11. fattz

fattz Member

Ty Lawson

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Les is at fault but untouchable, the next touchable guy is Morey so he should be on the hot seat.

That is the logic, I like Morey but that is the Game of NBA Thrones that he entered 9 years ago.

People like players should be held accountable at some point.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The problem with your argument is:

1) We haven't failed. That's your assumption which you're projecting on the team and Les. We just haven't won it all. We have overachieved all but last season with mediocre talent most years. The most common thread in the little success we've had is using Morey's stats to develop a style that outsmarts the common team, and of course acquiring star players. Perhaps you're forgetting that for 3 consecutive years, Kevin McHale won more than anyone predicted each season. Now we have MDA who can bring some real technical coaching know-how to this team. I applaud Les for overruling on JVG and others, Morey did not have a better option than MDA and didn't want to seed influence to a person who can speak with authority on offense. Now we're humming and no one is bitter over it. That's the sign of a well run franchise.

2) We are not playing the game of thrones, which is the right way to manage a team. Perhaps Les makes bad decisions, but just because other teams are randomly throwing executives under the bus for poor team showings doesn't mean we should do it too, and I'm glad we haven't done.

roslolian likes this.
  14. PhiSlammaJamma

Me's think this is the hand that was dealt, not so much Morey eel's doing. And whatever success we are having, is because he got Harden. Remembering we could have been bottom of the barrel for a decade without that move.

15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Sergio Lull is trippin

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

1) The thing here is I did not say the franchise is not run by the book. The franchise gets enough revenue in, it has fans all over the world, it is on good terms with the Chinese, with its sponsors.

All is well regarding that.

The team has done well so far in the regular season, regularly reaching the playoffs, always reaching 5-8th seed, or in one season 2nd seed.

But: If you have higher standards, the results have not been very good.

Apart from one 2nd round and one 3rd round appearance, the team has been knocked out of the playoffs in the 1st round in 7 or so years.

It is sports and therefore the franchise and its FO should be measured by its success (in regular season and in the playoffs).

2) I am not saying we should sack someone right away but we should keep them on their heels, cautious with contract extensions.

Morey has not been inspiring as of late, yes he made the Harden deal and delivered some above average 2nd rounders, fleeced some teams. Not recently (culminated in last season)

Who says a change of scenery would not benefit him?

You assume the worst with a firing but I would recommend Morey to go out on his own rather than waiting to be fired.

We just agree to disagree on this matter, I have a pretty moderate view on this, he can be fired, does not have to be.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

I don't know if a change of scenery would benefit Morey, but it sure won't benefit the Rockets. How do you know the one who replaces Morey will be better than him? There's no indicator whether a gm will be good or not, past NBA experience isn't an indicator, being a high level coach isn't an indicator, even being smart isn't an indicator...David Kahn who is one of the worst GMs I've seen is a stats guy just like Morey. It's too big a risk, you fire Morey but his replacement turns out to be a clown who trades Harden for a bag of chips and drafts busts with high lottery picks. You ready to wait years to be competitive again? I don't want to wait.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Sacramento had the richer contract waiting for him.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When you are in a bidding war with Sacramento, it's a sign that you are looking to get the wrong player.

Snow Villiers, Nook and J.R. like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Morey didn't want MDA... he went as far as to get Les to interview a packaged deal of Silas & Hollins to keep MDA away.

Alexander picks his head coaches (always has) and ultimate say on free agents.

DudeWah likes this.