1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Car recommendations and whether to buy or lease

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheRealist137, Nov 15, 2015.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'm looking for a new car, given these parameters

Total Compensation: 80k per year
    Rent: 900 a month
    No debt

I'm in my mid 20s so keep that in mind. I don't want any "boring" cars. Want something sporty with technology inside.

I drive an old Toyota Corolla now, it's 13 years old but still runs great. I don't mind driving a non-luxury brand in my 20s, but I can't see myself doing the same when I'm 30. By that time, I aspire to be driving at least an Acura, BMW, Lexus, etc. It's more to signify that I'm well-off financially.

Given my situation, what should I do? I could:

1. Buy a new car, but my budget would be about $25k
    2. Buy a used car, same budget but I'd have more options (Acura, Lexus, but I'm still not buying a used German car)
    3. Lease a new car, allows me to consider German models and gives me the most flexibility

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Stick or auto?

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I don't know anything about cars, but I just wanted to say I enjoyed this phrase.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Well you seem focused on status quite a bit, what do you think about the Mercedes CLA / GLA ?

32k new Mercedes model. There's also the Audi A3. I'd go new, lease or buy on those but if your strict with your 25k budget you can probably find a low mileage used one.

For sporty you could get your self the TurboV4 new Mustang or soon to release new Camaro. Solid cars but I'm not sure how you view the status of the models.

Volkswagen is brand with a good mix of tech/sport, maybe consider a Golf GTI

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I've heard of the CLA and am intrigued. Again though, I enjoy German cars but am apprehensive about purchasing them outright, knowing about how much they cost to maintain 4+ years down the road.

7. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

If you go new lease because the thing loses value everyday and if something happens like an accident it won't matter that you have a bad Carfax you can just turn the thing in when your done.

Remember highest possible residual and look for aa dealer giving out TCs. Make sure you figure out what price they are using on the residual as well as the money factor rate so you don't get taken.

My personal recommendation would be get approved for an auto loan at a credit union or pay cash for a good used Japanese car.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You could keep it for 3 years and trade it or sell it for new car once the warranty ends. Or lease of course.

With this particular mercedes, I also wouldn't expect the depreciation to be too hard either, because its starting price is so cheap

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Look around you and see how many people are driving Acuras, BMW's, Lexuses, etc. Not all of them are "well-off financially". If you want to show everyone you're well-off financially, go buy a Bentley Continental GT or something. ;)

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lease a BMW 2 series
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gj3t-C1a8uI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. tinman

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The CLA is a "cool-looking" Mercedes for people that can barely afford a Mercedes. They basically introduced that car so they can let people have an entry into what it may feel like to own a Mercedes. It has a fairly anemic engine unless you get it in AMG form. When you're at a stop-light, be prepared for modern Honda Accords to want to race you and then be prepared to lose to them. By the time you have one optioned out, you'll be paying close to $40k for it. Unless you buy one used... in which case, have plenty saved up to pay the Benz bills for repairs.

If you're going to start with a Mercedes, at least start with the C-Class. That's where the "real Mercedes" start. Unless you talk to S-Class owners who will laugh at all of you. :)

13. tinman

Supporting Member

I heard the CLA got bad reviews

A coworker told me he got an oil change for his AMG mercedes at the dealer, $300

you know 'status'

I would lease a german car before buying one, unless it's a preowned with some type of warranty

I've test driven the M235i, that's a nice BMW.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Iv test driven the CLA. Its really not bad, IMO pretty stylish (both exterior and interior). It of course will not perform like a 60k Mercedes but who the hell is expecting it to you know. But by all means it will be a tremendous upgrade over your current car, and is respectable with 210 HP. I don't think a Honda accord would beat it in a race unless maybe its the V6, but that's 30k as well anyways so...

But street racing is really such a dbag thing lol. The few people I know that do it are the most annoying people I know. I dont see where OP listed he wanted a good street racing car. I did see stylish and sporty, the CLA is stylish and sporty for the price range.

15. Damion Laverne

- Go used.
    - Ford Fusion Titanium (2.0L EcoBoost), Volkswagen CC or Golf R, '16 Camaro, Ford Mustang, Mazda Miata, Dodge Charger/Challenger, Cadillac ATS

....or you could possibly go new and take a look at the new Hyundai Genesis (if you're up for the extra money)

16. Damion Laverne

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Mercedes CLA is no good. Avoid it.

Get a Buick. People won't recognize it cuz it's so radically different now. They'll be like that's not a Buick. And you'll be like lol yeah it is.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

19. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Infiniti G37 - cheaper now that the "Q" line replaced the "G" line. Such a fun car to drive and very luxurious features.

20. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

The mb cla is trash. If only consider the amg 45 and that is still trash.