1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard leaves game injured against the Suns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Damaged goods

1 person likes this.
  2. kemah

kemah Member

lol

So you think to go overboard needlessly as a good thing? It sounds like he tweaked his knee to me and it would be no surprise he developed edema. Elite athletes get injuries sometimes.

3. Possum

Possum Member

What did cybersex say?

This is better for the team anyway. Howard was killing the chemistry on the court.

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Basically what this means is that his injury is not going away and he will be dealing with this in the long term.

That's just terrible news. Rockets are going nowhere without a healthy Dwight. Nowhere.

The best case scenario at this point is that he can play through the injury for the rest of the season and put off surgery until the offseason. At that point, his career could be done (TMac) or surgery could be successful but he never returns to peak form, which is honestly the best case scenario at this point.

Just horrible news, we need to bolster this team elsewhere if we want a chance at a title.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I don't think you understand his injury/situation and how or why fluid builds up.

I'm not going overboard, just being realistic. Looking at his timeline, he's breaking down. Fluid pretty much only comes from trauma or wear and tear. He hasn't bumped knees, other than in preseason, and I'm nut even sure that's what it was. It sure wouldn't flare up 3 months later, if it had healed then. Clearly something more was going on, for him to get platelet therapy....

How did he tweak his knee? Wouldn't they have reported that? They reported the ankle tweak though..doesn't sound like it was expected.

And yes athletes get injuries, but that ranges from a simple bruise to acl tears. They don't just automatically heal from all of them. Google knee swelling sms NBA and you'll find names like Oden, Bynum, and Kobe. The only favorable result well probably be Dirk, but IIRC, his swelling was just from a hit to the knee.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He said some within the org feared Dwight might need surgery.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He said might need MICROFRACTURE surgery....that some in the Rox org feared that.

DD

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

So basically...the Rockets are screwed is what I'm gathering from this...

9. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

screwed? no.

does it change things? yes.

this makes the pellies 1st and NYK 2nd much more important. keep the picks and use them wisely.

10. Possum

Possum Member

Ouch! That would not be good for a guy that relies on his athleticism. The team seems to play better chemistry wise anyway with Howard out. It's a good thing we have such good depth in our front court.

11. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

[​IMG]

12. baubo

baubo Member

At this point, Dwight is like the Rockets. Regular season performane no longer matters and it's all about how he does in the playoffs.

13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This latest news regarding edema in Dwight's knee tells me D-Mo and Jones are not going to traded anytime soon. A rotation of Smith, Jones, D-Mo, and Dorsey can hold the fort until D12 comes back. Capela should be kept here as the 5th big.

Right now, the most concerning knee is on a certain MVP candidate. Fingers crossed.

14. conquistador#11

oh a great rockets center is cursed with an injury? what am i supposed to do, cry? i got that out of me after 2009. r.i.p big yao's foot.
    round up the troops and advance forward.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

look on the bright side guys…..capela might get his first made field goal sooner now

16. Progs

Progs Member

It is indeed time to call up Capela.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He's already here

18. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

This latest development deserves its own thread.

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Yeah, that's the biggest downside to this injury aside from the loss of Dwight himself obviously. It really handcuffs Morey as we approach the trade deadline. I always felt that D-Mo was untouchable(unless we got a star in return), but that T-Jones was expendable(Smith can't be traded, so he's out of the equation).

Now though, we need both D-Mo and T-Jones if we hope to not miss a beat in Dwight's absence. They make a 2-headed monster who combined can do for us what a healthy Dwight did(post-up scoring, blocked shots, rebounding, interior D). For better or worse, this is probably the Rockets roster the rest of the season.

20. jbasket

jbasket Member

FWIW:

http://www.howardluksmd.com/orthopedic-social-media/bone-marrow-edema-knee/

"After trauma, the bone marrow edema will subside on its own. Just like most any other bruise you have had. In osteonecrosis, the bone marrow edema will also subside. In many cases of osteonecrosis the bone will grow new blood vessels and regrow itself. Sometimes the area involved is too large, and it may not regrow. See this post for further information on osteonecrosis. Osteoarthritis on the other hand is a progressive condition. Sadly, it only gets worse over time. That means that the edema is unlikely to improve either. In cases of severe pain that is thought to be due to bone marrow edema, certain treatments might be indicated."

So unless he has arthritis, I think it is not as serious as yall are making it to be guys...

#260 jbasket, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015