1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014-15] Jeremy Lin as a Los Angeles Laker

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Simple really...

Asik was a net positive commodity.

Lin was a net negative "commodity".

Which is why we got something in return for Asik while we had to give up assets to send Lin away.

The market told you what the two players were worth given almost identical contracts.

2. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I'd say the haters that say he's garbage don't know what they're talking about.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Wait

Offensive Rebounds - 0.4
    Defensive Rebounds - 2.6
    Total Rebounds - 6.0

So in LOF world 0.4 + 2.6 = 6.0??

Or am I missing some other rebounds? Like Lin rebounding off fellow teammates and falling down like the last play against Kings?

1 person likes this.
  4. LosRockets2011

LosRockets2011 Contributing Member

..........The........Plague.........

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I know we are riding on Canaan's high, but I (and many others) are seriously concerned about our bench production. This will be trial by fire and Lin (in spite of his blemishes) would at least bring experience to the table in a year where we should be more concerned than ever about injury risk. I don't want to jinx anything, but Harden had a very busy summer and Bev will forever be an injury risk.

I'm seriously hoping that Canaan or Ish can step their game up (consistently), but I'm not holding my breath.

If we land another PG, losing Lin becomes moot. If we land a legit PF, some of the scoring and defensive load will be taken off of our core and thus losing Lin will become moot.

6. jayland

jayland Member

You as a fan only care about your team winning or losing. But the owners and people running the Laker, Rockets or pretty much any other sports team care about how much money they are making and want to make as big a profit as possible.

If their team isn't winning, they still want people buy tickets and watch them on TV. And sometimes to do that they overpay for players people will watch even when the team loses. That is what Kobe and Lin is right now.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Lin got ebola and they had to quarantine him, people will still watch the Lakers and the Rockets.

In fact, the Rockets and the Lakers have had fans and made plenty of money before and after Lin.

Also, Asian people won't stop watching NBA basketball if Lin decided to retire and become a gospel singer.

There is a world where Lin fans think Lin makes the world go around, let me assure you that world is not real.

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I am not. We dont have a solution at the PG spot. But Lin wasn't it either. This team was not going anywhere with Lin and Bev manning the PG spot. With Lin gone, Rockets can explore their options. Give the young guys some minutes. Maybe one of them pans out. Maybe none of them do. In any case we keep looking without giving all that $$ and playing time to someone we KNOW is not going to work out.

Lin and Rockets were wasting each other's time with him on the team.

Thats why I think the trade was great for both parties.

#1888 Zboy, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  9. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

As days passed by, this thread becomes more toxic.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

where's the link to your stat's source?
    he averages 3 rebounds , 2.6 +.4 =3

11. omgTHEpotential

Drafted him for my fantasy team. I think he's a fantasy sleeper.

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Knicks let him go.

Rockets let him go.

Most likely Lakers will let him go.

I am assuming the owners/management of these organizations that are letting him go are crunching up #s and something is not adding up.

1 person likes this.
  13. tinman

Supporting Member

I can't wait til the Rockets destroy the Lakers . Don't you want to see that?

Ezekiel 25:17."The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

1 person likes this.
  14. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I loaded up on bigs and had to settle for him, Livingston and Wroten to take care of business. I may need to make a trade or watch the waiver wire...

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Zboy,

A true Rockets fan. I was in LA last week. Hung out with some of my Laker fans (Aka they live in LA and go to games), there was one player that they talked about.

It starts with K and ends with a E and doesn't rhythm with Benny Hin

16. jayland

jayland Member

KwamE Brown?

17. steady

steady Member

.. I am going with the assumption that you are not trolling, but this has been discussed to death. . you know that the Knicks would have re-signed Lin had it not been for

1. Rockets second higher offer
    2. Poison pill in that offer
    3. Knicks being in luxury tax, making poison pill lethal for them

I can't remember precise numbers but even the first offer, which the Knicks went on record saying they would match, would have cost them some ungodly amount of money in luxury taxes. Something on the order of multiples of the actual salary itself.

... you said this, just when I was about to agree with your post just prior. :) Which I do. The trade was best for both parties. Lin was never going to be the long term solution at PG, and like a bad relationship, best to end it and go on to better relationship/ player-team match.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

When he makes a pass -- so hot !

19. steady

steady Member

Poison pill would have made this third year of Lin's salary cost the Knicks $15 million plus $35 million in luxury taxes. Yes, $50 million total.

20. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

The Rockets better destroy the Lakers.

If not, we have bigger problems than them.

With that said, no point of making this thread toxic.