1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014-15] Jeremy Lin as a Los Angeles Laker

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Razsan

Razsan Member

I think he realizes that Lin is the only ball handler other than Kobe that has a grasp of the offense (any offense) and wants Lin to lead the young group. They've played very well as a unit without Kobe the past few games and I'm sure that hasn't gone unnoticed.

2. jk103

jk103 Member

Because he's an expiring contract that came with a free 1st round draft pick. Lin's fanbase will help mitigate the 15m balloon payment, and the Lakers can afford the loss anyway, since even with Kobe playing only 6 games the Lakers were, I believe, the 3rd most profitable team in the NBA. Morey got dumped on in this trade.

3. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

I disagree. I think the only reason the Rockets had a hard time getting rid of Lin was because of his earned reputation for inconsistent and cringeworthy play.

1.5 billion Chinese people around the world --- roughly 1 out of every 5 people on the planet? Wow! And no, I didnt know that basketball happens to be the most popular team sport in China.

Strictly from a dollars perspective, I'm pretty sure that it's been disappointing to NBA teams hoping for a windfall that no where near any significant percentage of these 1.5 billion people have bought season's tickets, jerseys, League Pass subscriptions, etc.

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

As of now, we lost that trade. However, if we land a top shelf PG or PF, Lin and a late 1st rounder is nothing to lose sleep over

5. LosRockets2011

LosRockets2011 Contributing Member

........The Plague.........

6. NotChandlerParsons

His $8m cap hit and $15 mil salary were probably the dealbreaker on that. If he was making 5m straight up and expiring, I'm sure they would've been able to move him without paying or even getting a pick or player in return.

1 person likes this.
  7. C. Orientalis

C. Orientalis Member

His preseason stats

MPG - 26.0
    FG% - 50%
    3 PT% - 40%
    FT% - 75.9%
    ORB - 0.4
    DRB - 2.6
    TRB - 6.0
    Assists - 6.2
    Steals - 0.8
    Blocks - 0.2
    TO - 2.2
    PPG - 12.4

AST/TO Ratio - 2.8/1

8. Razsan

Razsan Member

And that's really what it comes down to. The minute Harden became a Rocket, Lin was not a good fit for this team. He tried to tailor his game to accommodate the Rockets offense and only mildly succeeded. The Rockets need a Calderon type who can distribute when needed but hit the three with regularity.

9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I'm still trying to figure out if posts like these are sarcasm or not.

10. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

You think Lakers would win more games with Price at the helm? Ha...Thanks for the laugh. Lakers are HORRIBLE regardless of who plays the 1.

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

He's been in the nba for 10 years, we're not talking a rookie here, you're comparing an all nba defender, considered maybe the best ball pressure defender in the entire league to an average defender. He also passes more than Bev because he can't shoot, not because he's any good at it, Bev is often the recipient of the "open 3" in our offense.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Again, why would I care about how much money the Lakers make? or even the Rockets? are they going bankrupted anytime soon?

do I care if a billionaire gets richer?

no, I, as a fan, care about my TEAM.

you guys really don't understand its not Lin's 15 million dollars that was hurting the Rockets, it was his inconsistent play.

The Lakers and Rockets would still make money if Jeremy Lin got abducted by Aliens.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you think God would even want Jeremy Lin on his team?

He gave the 10 commandments to Moses cause if he gave it to Lin, then Mo Williams would have stolen them.

14. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

Maybe he just needs to play on-ball and run the pnr more

He's the only guy besides Randle who can get in the paint. And Randle ends up steamrolling half the time because he's too raw. He also can control tempo.

Fun fact: you look at Lin's shot chart, his offense is basically Moreyball. Everything in the restricted to get to the line, or behind the arc, created off the pnr. Then you look at everyone else on the Lakers' shot chart and it's basically midranges and long 2's all over the place, usually off the Princeton or floppy.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Ouch.

16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

asik had the same contract

17. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Houston was in an even worse position with Asik, a guy who had the same contract as Lin, and who absolutely wanted out. Despite that, they were able to trade him for a good pick, instead of sending one with him.

18. NotChandlerParsons

Better player at a position where talent is much harder to come by.

1 person likes this.
  19. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Morey could never "win" the Lin trade on the merits. The only way Morey could have won would have been to sign Bosh and Parsons.

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Disagree. We came out ahead because:

1) He is what he is. An inconsistent and turnover prone player. We were not going anywhere with him and we needed to unload him and he was not going to be the difference maker. He had two years to prove he could but it didnt pan out. Rockets can now look at other options. It was addition by subtraction.

2) It was a tough contract to move and Rockets were fortunate that Lakers, being in crappy situation as it is, decided to take on an expensive one year rental. Lakers is one of the few teams whose owner can "afford" to pay Lin the extra $$ that does not cost towards the cap, out of own pocket. Good for them, great for the Rockets.

In summary it was a good trade for everyone.

Lakers are not going anywhere so they took a gamble on an inconsistent player. If does not work out they can just let him go after one season.

Lin goes to a team that is not going anywhere and he does have to deal with the "contending team pressure".

Lin fantatics get to see Lin play extended minutes and score points (hopefully).

Rockets cut their loses and move on.

Everyone should be celebrating.......

....but then Ronnie Price starts trollin'