1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Daryl Morey sees improvement for Rockets despite criticism

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Jul 25, 2014.

1. okeezie

okeezie Member

Lin played a lot of SG last year. And even when he was the "PG" with Harden, he played off the ball mostly. It's not just Lin for Canaan. It's Lin for Canaan, Daniels, Johnson, and Gee. The Asik replacement is not just Dorsey. It's Dorsey, D Mo, Adrien, and Capela. And I don't care if Ariza scores as much as Chandler Parsons. As long as he shoots catch and shoot 3s better and plays lockdown perimeter defense along with Bev our team is more playoff ready. A 3 and D SF next to Harden is a much better fit than a wannabe superstar who is not one like Parsons. Parsons is an above average role player just like Ariza except Ariza accepts his role willingly and his role fits better. And we will turn the ball over less overall because Lin and Parsons are both careless with the rock which led to decreased opportunities for us and fastbreak points the other way. This is a philosophy and style shift so stop comparing apples to apples. Our team was soft last year and 2 of the biggest softies are gone (Lin and Parsons). I for one will not complain about it.

2. traveler

traveler Member

The team has not improved much. We are about the same. We are weak at bench and at the 4 spot as usual. Same as last 2 years. Saying that I find no fault with Moreys moves so far. He is building a team still. If this team was locked in then I would be upset but we have flexibility if the right piece comes along.

3. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

History revisionists at their best.

All I know was that, Asik, Parsons, and Lin, were 3 starters on a team getting together for the first year, and reached playoffs. Yes, Harden was the cornerstone and the only star. But you can't argue that the other 3 weren't the next 3 important guys that year.

Now, some of you are working so hard to "explain" how Ariza, Dorsey, and Canaan will easily replace them with change - meaning those 3 plus Harden and Paterson can at least make the playoffs in the West. All these are based on one year performance in the East (I can give you that), Europe experience, Summer League impression, and "potential"?

Sure, with the flexibility and trigger-happy GM, there will be more changes. But change could be better, worse, or sideways (mediocre or below-average players in and out as we often see). How does that wishful thinking or potential transfer to strong evidence that we ARE IMPROVED?

4. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I agree that Asik had to go and I understand the reason for moving Lin but you can't say that Dorsey > Asik and Ish > Lin. Now the season hasn't started yet and I'm still hopeful he can pull off a trade that really will improve the team but saying that right now is either delusional or marketing speak.

5. bmd

bmd Member

Why are you talking about Asik, Parsons and Lin being starters in 2012? If we are talking about replacing the 2012 starters, they were replaced with Howard, Ariza, and Beverley.

6. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Why doesn't Morey just acknowledge we simply did not get better, swung for the fences and unfortunately missed and now trying to get good bench players? See this is what I hate, trying to sell us on the notion that we got better, more toughness and improved defensively? It is absurd, since our bench is all rookies and novices.

7. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree totally. And their defense should improve dramatically more with a good defensive coach brought in. Very curious to see who Morey hires.

8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

The cap hit may be $8M, but the teams still have to pay actual $15M each. It's not just a number.

9. okeezie

okeezie Member

He said improved by next playoffs. Stop cherry picking quotes.

10. okeezie

okeezie Member

We are tougher and improved defensively. Do you argue Adrien, Dorsey, Ariza, Nick Johnson, Alonzo Gee, and Clint Capela aren't tougher and better on defense than Parsons, Lin, Garcia, Casspi? Is this really a question? And he said we will be better by the playoffs next year. Not this moment in July. You sir are cherry picking quotes as well.

11. real_egal

Didn't you guys talk about it as a fact, that we Are Improved already with new addition minus those 3 guys?

Now, it's coulda/shoulda/maybe again?

12. real_egal

Because it was a direct comparison of those 3 guys, if those new 3 can't replace those old 3 to make the playoffs in 2012, then how could you say they "improved" the roster?

13. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Our team is shifting towards the old T-Mac/Yao teams. Bunch of shooters around two stars.

That's a scary thought. This season we basically have a younger version of the team with David Wesley, Mo Taylor, and Jimmy Jackson. AND we have an inferior coach. Scary thought indeed...

#173 Seven, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  14. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Good questions. I think there are multiple paths, one of which is very clear but takes patience. That path is, if we can't swing a trade for a real upgrade now or at the deadline, we keep the cap space clear for next year. If we can't get Dragic or Milsap in a trade before the trade deadline, I think we don't use the MLE and BAE unless the contracts are easily movable.

If we enter next summer with about $14-16m cap space (which is VERY doable given the rising cap), one very legit possibility is for Morey to approach Dragic and Milsap, both of whom are UFAs and talk them into coming to Houston. That would yield a team of Howard harden ariza Dragic and Milsap which I think is a clear championship contender. If they are both interested, they both tell their teams we want houston and houston tells their team that whichever agrees to a sign and trade first gets assets for a departing free agent; houston would then sign the other with cap space. Once one team gives in (if Dragic and Milsap are on board), you sign the free agent using cap space and them swing the sign and trade. I would keep Bev and the NOP pick since these are sign and trades, but jones or DMO Canaan and/ or future draft picks can be included. Since this is a sign and trade you don't have to give up quite as many assets. With $14-16m in cap space you have a real threat to the two teams to sign their player outright so they have to capitulate or lose the free agent if the other team caves first.

This is not the third superstar but I would argue that ariza Milsap Dragic will trump the third superstar, and they compliment each other exceedingly well when you add Beverley to the mix. The combination of offense and defense and flexibility with your top 6 is tremendous. You just need a big banger to backup Howard. This is a realistic scenario and is a clear upgrade over Howard harden parsons but no flexibility (morey said on the radio "it wasn't close") which is one reason parsons was not matched. The only problem with it is that you have to wait a year and a lot of pitchforks will come out.

That's why there is the other path which I think is being pursued now - searching for a good trade - Dragic Milsap Bledsoe type. Those are hard for obvious reasons and will cost more and make the Dragic Milsap scenario harder next summer (but not impossible). I think that's why we haven't used the MLE yet. I think if we get a trade that works then we use the MLE on someone like Marion or some other combination. But if we can't get a clear upgrade in trade this summer, Morey may prefer to keep flexibility until the trade deadline and keeping the idea that we have cap space next summer. So if it is used, if we get a good trade we can use it for a long period. If not then I think it gets used in a way to be easily traded for cap space next summer.

This I think is why Morey says we will be better by next playoffs. We are probably worse now (but I don't think by as much as many assume), but if we swing a trade now or at the deadline then we will be better by the playoffs. Both Dragic and Milsap are in their last year. Neither team will go far in the playoffs (or even make it in Phoenix's case). There's pressure to move them now but it all be increased dramatically come trade deadline when the teams realize hey have 2 months before losing them for nothing when they know there is a predatory championship contending team with $14-16m in cap space waiting to steal them away.

I am not so worried about harden and Dwight's rep. If we present a clear case to these agents and Morey is willing to overpay in this scenario I think they will come.

15. okeezie

okeezie Member

I for one think they are better right now. That is my opinion based on the defensive upgrades I metioned earlier. That comment was clarifying what Morey said in his interview. Not my personal opinion. D mo filled in for Asik for half the season and did fine. If he is getting punked then we send Dorsey or Adrien to throw some 'bows. J Lin turned the ball over too much, was an inconsistent outside shooter, and played bad defense on opposing PGs. I'll take the potential of the trio Johnson/Canaan/Daniels to more than make up for his individual production.

16. okeezie

okeezie Member

BS. Jones can handle the ball and create off the bounce and handle and lead the break. IMO he is at least as good if not better ball handler than Parsons. Don't forget he was a PG growing up and still has those handles. Canaan can get his own shot as well as he has a pull up off the dribble game with creative finishes in the lane. Nick Johnson looks to be a good and creative finisher in the paint as well. And when Troy Daniels entered the playoff games last year I saw them run him off screens and draw up plays to get him open 3s. Those Rockets you named were statues and dinosaurs.

17. real_egal

Talking about Ariza's defense is perfectly fine, but talking about good defense from Adrien/Dorsey/Johnson/Canaan/Daniels in NBA games as a fact, is completely baseless, no matter how many times you repeat.

18. okeezie

okeezie Member

I never said Daniels and Canaan were bringing defense. Those other guys were brought in to specifically play defense. Whether you think Dorsey/Adrien/Capela/Johnson are good defenders is irrelevant. Obviously basketball minds greater than you or myself believe they are and that is what matters.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

No, it's a sensible and viable thought if your two stars can stay healthy.

20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Because their roles changed from 2012 to last season.

It's easier for Dorsey/Dmo/adrien to replace 20 minutes of Asik as the backup than it is for them to replace 30 minutes as starters, especially when your starter is Dwight.

Lin in 2012 was used as more of a creator then he was last season. Canaan/Daniels/Johnson will have an easier time replicating the production we got from Lin then if we were asking him to start and create rather than be backups who are asked to do more spotting up from 3.

Ariza could be argued is an upgrade for OUR situation.

I see everyone asking why it's a forgone conclusion we stayed the same or got better, my question is why is it a foregone conclusion to some that we got worse when we haven't even played a single game yet?