1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Daryl Morey sees improvement for Rockets despite criticism

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

then let's hope we do worse

2. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Both Parsons and Daryl Morey, Houston’s GM, have told me that Parsons had asked if it were possible to get an immediate raise over the last two years of his contract, so he was clearly frustrated working on perhaps the best bang-for-the-buck contract in the NBA.

http://grantland.com/features/2014-...-and-losers-houston-rockets-chandler-parsons/

It was also widely reported in the media last year when Parsons talked to Morey about a raise. I'm just trying to remember which month it was and try to look for the articles closer to that date.

3. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Yeah Ariza has gotten much better than his first stint. Shooting is better and he is now apart of a defensive trio with Bev, himself, and Howard. Not to mention the fact that Ariza is still the 3rd option and will have much less attention on himself than when he was in Houston last time. So there's a overreaction #1.

Secondly, agreeing that Lin, Asik, Parsons should have been traded together, which would have been incredibly difficult because of the contracts alone, doesn't constitute to being a "real NBA fan".

You're overreacting the same way that a large portion of this board is. This is team is much better defensively. What was lost on offense, will be gained on defense. We added physicality. We got rid of two disgruntled players who deserved to be starting, but couldn't here. We have flexibility in the future to better the team and flexibility is always a good thing. We have two young 4s in Jones and Dmo who have shown promise and will have gained a year's experience and will be better for it. Canaan and Daniels will be solid contributors off the bench. Johnson could turn some heads. This team has James Harden and Dwight Howard, two all-stars, two top 10 NBA players.

This team is talented and will be fine. Expect similar W/L to last year but better showing in the playoffs.

4. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

What exactly is Morey supposed to say?

This team is definitely worse then last years but hopefully this means McHale will lose his job by All-Star break.

5. baubo

baubo Member

I would give Morey a grade of INC. He can turn this offseason into an A by using "flexibility" he gained by not matching Parsons and turn them into solid rotation players. Or he can get an F if we start the season with more or less this same group.

The offseason is still not over. But no way I would consider what the Rockets have done so far to be okay. We're worse than last year RIGHT NOW. It remains to be seen whether that will still be the case come November.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Our 55 season record was done mainly on the back of Bev, Harden, Howard and Parsons although making a combined 15M the effect of moping Asik and Linconsistent weren't that big, they were pretty much backups and limited to 15-20 mins each so I don't know if we're gonna miss them that much, like I said I expect the dropoff to be negligible if there is any at all.

Asking if Morey and his team can't find someone with the NOP pick and the exceptions seems weird to me, how the hell can't you find somebody useful with assets like that esp. if you combine it with some of other young players? Off the top of my head if they really want to I can see the Rox getting in on the Love trade and somehow snagging Daniel Gibson or a serviceable vet like Kevin Martin/that PF from GSW using those said assets. That is, if they really want to....maybe Morey and co. would like to save those for a Kevin Durant run, personally I wouldn't be opposed to that.

7. Centerville

Centerville Member

I know Parsons wanted a raise. I don't know if that's why Morey made him a RFA, but I might have learned something like that if Feigen had asked an actual question. That's all I'm saying.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah, well we all know how Mchale's run as a GM went. I personally wouldn't trust him with soundbites, he also said some stupid stuff like "Stats just confirm what we know all along", "the ball needs to less sticky" etc. etc.

Of course he thinks we became worse, as a head coach all you really care is about the current roster,from a coach's perspective you just lost 3 guys who already knew the system and had several years of experience in the league.

From a franchise perspective though I think the Rox is better positioned moving forward, flexibility is king although everyone talks about how Dwade was the guy who convinced LBJ and Bosh to team up, none of that would have been possible had the Heat not been flexible and locked up to the hilt with contracts. As I said to my post to CH I think this Rox team is identical to the team last year despite losing 15M in salaries, so IMHO we will definitely improve once we put that 15M back on the squad.

9. JD88

JD88 Member

When, a few weeks into the season, Gordon/Jrue/Davis/Asik goes down with an injury and the Pelicans are 12-22, you all will be licking Morey's balls because NOP pick will be gold.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Canaan's NBA numbers are lying...hasn't exactly had a lot of minutes, so he had a rough showing for the season. In college he pretty much was a 40/80 shooter and in the d league he was 37/80. He may have more problems with his FG% because he is shorter, but I omitted it because this offense i's mostly about 3pt percentage. He does have a better looking shot than Lin, as well.

11. Exiled

Exiled Member

I think he is a genius...and a gambler too

Look at how he cleaned the cap to add Bosh ! Never thought he could ship Lin somewhere else, or force Cuban to reach out deep to his pocket to compete of getting our 2nd draft pick..
    And when the plan A failed,he got us an equal if not better replacement for SF
    And decent players for cheap..
    Along with v.promising draft picks

12. p10maggs

p10maggs Member

I agree 100% with you

13. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

I see that too.

14. calcium

calcium Member

I dont think what you pay the players count for trades.
    Only the cap-hit counts.
    So you'd be looking at 8.3 x 2 = 16.6M and not 30M.
    Which is still a lot, but not 30M a lot.

For sure.
    If either Dwight or Harden goes down for whatever period,
    there goes season 14/15.

And like many others here, I think the clock is ticking on Dwight.
    Not that much time left. Need to win NOW.

This offseason, we've just been treading water (or regressed according to me).

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. Lin actually averaged 29 mpg and started 30+ games filling in for injured teammates.

2. I agree that neither Lin nor Asik played at such a high level last year that they cannot be replaced, the issue is the number of rotation spots you need to fill with inexperienced/minimum wage guys as of right now.

You need a back up PG/SG to take Lin's minutes, a backup C to take Asik's minutes, a backup SG/SF-- Delfino's job which they didn't find a guy for all last year. And we are not even talking about the 9th-11th guy who are pretty likely to be asked to play significant minutes due to the inevitability of NBA injuries.

It's like coin flips. I feel pretty good about the chances that the result will come up heads at least once or twice out of 5 flips; but I wouldn't bet on 4 or 5 heads out of 5 flips. Similarly, I free decent enough about the chances that we can fill at least one of the bench roles with the collection of cheap and young players that we have, maybe even two. But I am not positive about our chances of finding a competent player for all these spots out of what we have.

3. One question about he use of MLE/TPE/BAE is how willing will Morey be to use them? He said that we are only looking at short term guys in order to preserve flexibility. If, say, Shawn Marion, for example, has a 2 year offer elsewhere, does Morey offer 2 years or just let Marion sign elsewhere?

Morey has assets to use, but will he use them to make the team better this year if using the assets come at the cost of flexiblity?

Remember, the Rockets had the Room exception last year and Morey never managed to find a guy to use it on. The Rockets had a trade asset in Asik, but Morey didn't find a trade he liked. These may well just be the reality of the market and Morey might have made the best decision under the circumstances. Still, it shows that just because you have an exception or a trade asset, it doesn't mean that you'll actually convert it to someone who helps.

16. Rajjettheking

Rajjettheking Member

Morey's the ultimate snake oil salesman. Can't even believe how many people here are buying into this spin. No way is this team any better than before. It's far worse. Better to be realistic than delusional.

17. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

If u can completely understand Morey, u will be able to manage some NBA teams.

18. okeezie

okeezie Member

Gee is better. Aminu is terrible.

19. okeezie

okeezie Member

The biggest misnomer in America is that Rondo was available for Parsons. 1st of all there was a huge money difference that would have to be matched. 2nd of all, how is Parsons an upgrade over Jeff Green and they play the same position? I contend Jeff Green has more natural talent than Parsons and has produced more. Plus Ainge came out and said there were no serious or legitimate Rondo offers last year. He said he picked up the phone, heard the offers, and hung it up.

20. okeezie

okeezie Member

Chuck Hayes at 6'5 would have been our best Lamarcus Aldridge defender this year. It's not about height with guarding some of these dominant post players. It's strength. Jones wasn't a good matchup for Lamarcus because he is shorter and not very strong. If you are shorter you need to be built like a tank and that is how Hayes, Dorsey, and Adrien are built.