1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans coach Bill O'Brien interested in University of Maryland opening

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by HR Dept, Nov 15, 2015.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Rick Smith is in his 10th year as GM.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Give it 5 more years or so

3. Nook

Nook Member

Is that you Uncle Bob?

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I've been hearing Maryland for several weeks now. I think there's fire to it. They can pay him more than we are currently. McNair is going to give him a raise after this **** season? I don't think so.

I think you guys are too quick to dismiss what less pressure and a huge raise can do. ****, I'd leave the Texans for more money.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I really don't know why guys that have success in college leave for the NFL. I guess you always want to be at the highest level, but damn...you can make just as much, if not more in salary and like you said, much less pressure and longer tenures. Plus it just seems like more fun.

I think OBs personality and style is more suited for college. Kids respond to his strong personality more than an NFL vet.

6. gucci888

That's interesting because I see BoB much more of a NFL guy than college. Recruiting is a HUGE part of college and requires a ton of time on the road, building relationships with not just the kids, but their families and coaches. I don't see BoB as guy wanting to do that for the long term.

Some are definitely much better suited for the college game, but like you said, the NFL is the absolute highest level so I think a lot would go if they got the call.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

BOB's methods and his shtick is much more suited for college than the NFL. Nonsense that works on college kids oftentimes just pisses off NFL players.

BOB is just one big letterman jacket.

8. gucci888

Haven't heard anything about players being pissed at BoB. With the way the season has gone so far, think we would have heard rumblings by now unless I've completely missed it.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Bill Belichick says hello.

10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

That's what scouts are for. Typically head coaches only make trips for higher level recruits that could sway their choice to his school's team. They also bring those guys on campus so the 'traveling' would be more so for road games than recrutiting.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

There were some tweets a month or so ago saying the players weren't buying in to BOB's shtick. Maybe by that new guy that covers the Texans for the Chronicle? (not McClain...)

My opinion on BOB is evolving right now. I just can't hate the guy after seeing him on Hard Knocks, especially seeing him at home with his family. But his in-game decision making leaves a lot to be desired. He's supposed to be a great offensive mind, but I've seen nothing in 2 years to indicate that. Not sure where that narrative comes from. Anyone looks good coaching Tom Brady....

I don't think he'll end up being any better than any of the other coaches from the patriots coaching tree.

I'm glad I'm not an NFL owner. I'm too nice. Everyone in Houston would probably hate me as much as they hate McNair. :)

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Also, he needs to go ahead and take RAC with him while he's at it.

That guy sucks.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We hired a rookie. Rookies always struggle. He struggled last year (Steelers game comes to mind). It doesn't mean a young, fresh coach cant develop into something special over time, but it always takes time. Which is why they hire didn't make sense to me, considering McNair wanted to win now.

Same thing with Kubiak. He struggled with game management for 2 years.

If the right coaching personnel isn't already in place it takes time. Guys like Tomlin who inherit a system, that's different.

14. gucci888

True but head coaches still make the rounds to high schools, in-home visits, etc...I think this would be more so for a school like Maryland where BoB would be their biggest and maybe only draw.

15. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I don't think Hoodie's personality could be more different from OBs. When I said "strong personality", I meant someone that is a very in your face, outspoken, with highly motivational coaching style. Belichick seems more of a you better do your job and do it well or else kinda guy that conveys that without really saying it...off the top of my head.

Right now OB feels like Rex Ryan-light to me in terms of personality, guys will respond initially but at what point will they stop responding? Those types are great as position coaches or coordinators but we haven't seen a lot of them have sustained success as a HC. It works in college too because you have a revolving door of players and they are all so young. Bear in mind that I'm not saying that OB and Ryan don't have great football minds.

16. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

I'd hate for O'B to leave. He atleast deserves 3 years. Rick Mchale tho...at some point he gotta go. I mean enough is enough, damn.

1 person likes this.
  17. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Rick Mchale
    Rick Mchale
    Rick Mchale

I've seen and heard it all. Goodnight :grin::grin::grin:

18. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

McClain... may actually be right for the first time since the 90s.