1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Groundwater Contamination May End the Gas-Fracking Boom

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Aug 24, 2013.

1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Sure, I was answering your questions for those that don't know much about drilling. I also wanted to get the point across that, relative to the fluids used to frac a well, drilling fluid is not really all that nasty. The additives to a water/oil based mud are a fairly small percentage and usually made up of materials found in the ingredients to items you have laying around the house.

There are definitely environmental risks associated with drilling (the NOx coming from the engines that power the rig or H2S gas migration that can kill instantly) but I assure you drilling fluid is low on that list.

And, actually drilling IS super dangerous but mainly to those working on the rig.

1 person likes this.
  2. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Yes, which is a problem itself haha.

3. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Cattle grazing has an environmental impact (methane emission).

Each state has its own regulations and rules for drilling. In certain states, counties can also throw in more regulations. Federal lands have their own standards. By default, protected species (plants and animals) are avoided. Drilling into watersheds is heavily frowned upon by both sides if you are worried about water contamination. In my company's project, air quality reports by the BLM show that all pollutant levels are well within both federal and state standards.

There's already a lot of money being thrown around to keep companies in check. It's not like E&Ps are just running around willy nilly and spilling oil everywhere. Sure, there are accidents... but that goes for any industry.

There's also a ton of misinformation and propaganda against the industry by those who seek to profit from hurting our domestic producing image. You have:

1. OPEC countries and other producing countries
    Link 1(http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/07/30/saudi-prince-worried-that-us-shale-boom-could-cripple-opec-economy/)
    Link 2(http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/2012/09/matt-damons-anti-fracking-movie.html

2. Coal Industry

3. Solar Industry

I'm def leaving out more groups, but you catch my drift. Clearly, the pro-fracking groups can outspend the anti-frackers. With that being said, the gap is closing in both money spent and governmental influence.

No energy source is perfect. One day we will shift to more efficient, cheaper and safer forms... it's just going to take time (try 20-30 years) like all major changes. I promise you this though, the government and environmental groups are doing their job in keeping the industry regulated. I deal with it every day.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eNgLrzoIC-o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

If he is on location then that water is most likely being filled into a tank, not directly from well water. Why it's like that? Cheap operating company, etc.

6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

What happens if a person drinks water contaminated with methane?

7. ling ling

ling ling Member

He passes gas?

8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Is fracking and Twerking de samez?

9. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Yea, he's likely on location but not just cheap operators fill tanks for their crews. It's much easier to transport during rig moves even if you have a water well to pull from.

The interesting part is that that means his flammable water isn't coming from groundwater contamination.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Bottom line, by the time there's something definite, that spot is hosed considering the depth and level fracking miles below and the time it took for the contamination to be noticeable.

You can't even superfund a potential cluster****.

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

back to the OP, has the boom ended yet?

*snicker*

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This thread was only started 4 months ago...

*chuckle*

13. Major

Major Member

1 person likes this.
  14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

You've entered CometsWin territory of following me around like a puppy dog. I must have struck a nerve with you, which explains your aggression.

by the way -- my linked comment was a factual statement

Can I help you with your 2014 resolution? How about pushing a small donation Clutch's way? After 26,000 posts, it might be time.

1 person likes this.
  15. conquistador#11

aint that the fracking truth.

16. Major

Major Member

You're right - you have struck a nerve. I think you're an idiot who has very little worthwhile to say and just pollutes this board. I think you should be called out more for being one.

And yet, such a stupidly wrong one because you're incapable of seeing the forest for the trees or trends in general. It's part of what makes you so dumb. And your inability to see that and unwillingness to actually learn from being wrong over and over and over again is just more evidence of it.

Speaking of puppy dogs following around other people... How long have you been following me around posting this same thing? A few years now? Another example of your focus on commenting on things without actually knowing anything about a topic. Talk about an obsession.

17. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

IB4 Name calling, facts, liberal meltdown, ect

18. Major

Major Member

It's not really about liberal vs conservative. It's about trolling. texxx has always polluted this forum, but it's a political board so if it wasn't him, it would be someone else anyway - that's the nature of politics online. But now he's taking his shtick to the Texans forum, where actual good discussions happen - he can't figure out how to have reasonable discussions there either. When you're perceived as a troll or a racist in almost every conversation you have, then the underlying problem is you. He either doesn't get that or doesn't care - either way, I no longer see any reason to give him any more respect than he gives to anyone else here. If he gets his entertainment from being a troll or ruining legitimate discussions, then I'm going to comment on that.

19. Buck Turgidson

Like they say, you have a problem with a guy, ok, that guy's an *******. You have a problem with a hundred guys, guess what, you're the *******.