1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paging BimaThug

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketjunkie, Mar 9, 2015.

1. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I want to know when you jokingly or not jokingly tweeted about lakers sign and trade LIN to us. What is the framework of that hypothetical deal?

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

No can do. Cap exceptions get included in team salary for determining cap room unless they are renounced. Especially with the announced signings of Brewer and Beverley, there is pretty much NO CHANCE the Rockets use cap room this summer.

Just as a fallback option to more "ideal" PG choices, perhaps the Rockets could throw Prigioni, Dorsey and a second round pick at the Lakers for a signed-and-traded Lin on a bargain contract.

Not likely to happen. But at least that is a way for the Rockets to add a PG on an affordable deal without having to dip into the MLE. Figured that I'd get killed on Twitter and here for even suggesting it. AND I WAS!!!

3. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

All good Bima.....the framework helps us to think creatively. You just touch the area where rockets fans are still recovering from their PTLOFD (post traumatic LOF disorder). It takes time to undo that damage.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

An excellent reply, crash, as usual. Thanks! :)-

Again, I'm sorry, Bima, for uncorking a question that shouldn't be in this thread. I'll look for the other threads that are more appropriate for my next nonsensical question about a guy(s) we probably won't get.

5. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Thanks for the response. Also a way to do a 2 for 1 supposedly. Are there any other players you think we could do that with?

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Bobby Marks has been an amazing twitter follow over the last few weeks. Great resource!

7. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

As always, thanks kindly for the clarification!

8. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Assuming the Rockets trade for Lawson, how could they afford to pay both Dwight and Durant next year?

Harden, (Lawson), Ariza, Brewer, Beverley, DMo, Capela, Dekker and Harrell add up to around $60 million I believe. With a $90 million salary cap, Durant's max contract is going to start at around $25 million; Dwight's, at around $29 million.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

is it legal for the rockets to promise another franchise, but not to the player, that they'd offer a full mle contract if they stretched that player?

i'm looking at the nets and all the talk about their tax situation. joe johnson and d.will's names have popped up as salary dump pieces.

didn't joe johnson play pg for the hawks back when they had that all 6-9 starting 5 team?

a 3yr full mle deal would pretty much wipe out what the nets owe him.

10. AB83Rules

AB83Rules Member

I'm no NBA Cap expert, like I know the NFL Cap, but I would assume we would re-sign Howard(After he opts out) after we sign Durant, idk if that's possible though, but that's what I think would be the process.

11. Rox>Mavs

I'd imagine dwight would need to opt out and resign for a smaller and longer contract, and they'd have to trade Ariza and maybe Bev or brewer also to create the space. All of which shouldn't be hard to do since their contracts are very reasonable and would be seen as assets. Good news is you'd still be underpaying harden (Lawson too) and Dmo would be rfa so you could go over the cap to resign him. All that depends on what dwight would be willing to do though.

12. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Dwight will have a huge cap hold, so no that wouldn't be possible.

Even if Dwight for some reason agreed to take only $20 million, the Rockets wouldn't have nearly enough cap space to sign Durant. If they dumped Brewer and Beverley for nothing, they wouldn't have enough. And that's if Dwight (and Fegan) takes a pay cut. Lawson makes too much.

13. AB83Rules

AB83Rules Member

That's right, I keep forgetting about Cap Holds, my bad. That's the difference between NBA and NFL, NFL has no cap holds for FAs, and they have a true hard cap, can't go over it at anytime during the season, only from end of SB, and beginning of Free Agency happening.

14. Rox>Mavs

You're right, it'd be too hard with Lawson's contract. You'd have to give up ariza, Bev and brewer to make it work and then fill out the bench roster with vet min. It'd be much more doable to have someone like collison who makes around $5m vs Lawsons $13m

15. Down19

Down19 Contributing Member

Durant has already said he's not coming here. He doesn't like Dwight

16. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Source?

17. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

Bima, thanks for being the Larry Coon of the board. My question is about the Nets, why don't they use the Stretch Provision on Joe Johnson and Deron Williams? Wouldn't that help them avoid the luxury tax/repeater tax?

I know this is probably illegal but I believe that Nets have zero first round draft picks for a while, anyway the Rockets could entice them to use the Stretch Provision on Williams? A wink wink deal.

18. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

If Joe Johnson were stretched, he'd be owed $24.9M over the next three seasons, or $8.3M per year.

If Deron Williams were stretched, he'd be owed $21M + $22.3M over the next five seasons, or $8.66M per year.

The Nets can't waive both, as you can't stretch any contract that would end up giving you more annual future dead salary than 15% of the cap in the season you stretch the player. So for example, 15% of the projected $69.1M is $10.365M. Thus, the Nets can stretch one or the other, but would be prohibited from doing both.

The thing is, the contracts are so large, the annual dead money would be a significant impediment to signing new free agents, and as you said, the Nets don't own their own first rounder for the next 3 drafts, unprotected, and doesn't have a single 2nd rounder for the next 5 years, so the only way they can add talent is through free agency.

I suppose they could, but man, as if Brooklyn didn't have anything to look forward to now, to have $8M less in cap room per year for the next 3-5 years, that's a ton of salary that is doing absolutely nothing for you, and little chance of much cap recapture like Detroit and Josh Smith...

19. basketballholic

Nets can trade Joe Johnson. And I suspect he will be traded.

As far as DWill goes, he would probably accept a buyout. I'd guess, they could probably buy him out right now of his last year's salary (the option year) if the agreed not to stretch him. That would save them $22 million. DWill could sign a MLE deal this offseason that would give him roughly half of that $22 million back over this season and next. Or he could sign a 1-year MLE deal, rebuild his value with a contender and then hit the free agent market next season when the salary cap goes up. In that situation if he played well, he might not lose anything and could possibly even make more money.

So if the Nets are serious about clearing DWill off they can get it done but it probably won't help their cap this year.

However, if they did talk DWill out of next year's salary, they could possibly trade DWill, if not now then later on in the season after Dec. 15th.

20. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">It appears that Sam Dekker signed for (the customary) 120% of rookie scale. If so, his cap figure for this season will be $1,646,400.</p>&mdash; David Weiner (@BimaThug) <a href="https://twitter.com/BimaThug/status/618462690277638144">July 7, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>