1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The WWE/Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by stthomsfinest, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Beavis Stiffler

Just found a interesting documentary film. Its like the WWE's "Rise and Fall of ECW" but a more in-depth view of the other wrestlers not involved in the WWE's version.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/58pKs-97-A4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I don't watch wrestling, but I did as a kid... And I have a question.

Why is there always metal folding tables/chairs under the ring? I mean, honestly... Who the hell keeps storing tables and chairs under the damn wrestling ring of all places?

3. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

They do use them for in-ring segments (contract signings, "talk shows" etc) also for wrestlers doing commentary ringside

4. Granville

Granville Member

The same people that get jumped by someone and then conveniently wait until the person that jumped them is in the ring talking midsentence to run in and attack them. Then they build up this hostile revenge match for weeks only in the much anticipated showdown at a PPV run around and bounce off the ring ropes then apply their arsenal of "moves" that only draw blood if they accidentally make contact.

The same people who have multiple camera angles to see that a wrestler used the "foreign objects" to cheat to win but never use replay to reverse a decision.

5. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

Yup.

In other words, it's a TV show.

Why does the Flash always arrive JUST in the nick of time if he's so fast?

6. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Asuka sewing on Bayley dazzles to the sleeves of he tshirt was pretty awesome. I think this will be the best NXT women's match topping Brooklyn

7. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

If Cesaro is healthy? I haven't even seen his official injury I'd like to see him vs Apollo Crews, assuming he's not in a main roster storyline by then

8. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Looks like Anderson and Gallows are officially WWE bound after finishing up with NJPW this morning.

9. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Phenom Club..better than Balor club

10. VanityHalfBlack

Talk about perfect fit for WWE. They will thrive like butter. Too bad they can't keep the name. I mean come on? Bullet Club? This country thrives on the 2nd amendment.

11. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Dean drops the title to KO, please win on Sunday Dean, anyone but Roman.

12. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

At the end of the Rumble I was hoping they'd surprise us all by having Dean win the championship, but I knew they wouldn't let him hold the 2 top belts at the same time. Now that he dropped the IC, I'm optimistic about Fastlane.

13. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

That tease of dean hitting dirty deeds on Roman was awesome... They are really letting Dean shine but I think he might be headed towards a 1 on 1 match with Brock at WM. I just don't see them pulling the plug on the Roman Triple H feud plus there is nowhere else to put roman on the card.

14. VanityHalfBlack

The road to wrestlemania has been pathetic so far. When are the rest of NJPW roster coming over? How cool was it to have AJ Styles finally talk??? He has a southern accent, that is so cool!!!!! I like Kevin Owens, glad he won the title back.

15. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I think that's where they're headed, but there's still a part of me that wants to bo-lieve that Dean will headline Wrestlemania. But you're right, the most likely scenario is Dean will eat the pin for Roman at Fastlane, then Dean vs Brock at Mania.

16. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

This certainly increases the probability. He's also showing serious signs of a heel turn (telling Reigns twice he doesn't need his help, the Lesnar low blow, almost using dirty deeds on Reigns, the promos, etc)

17. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

My argument against a Dean heel turn at this point would be that it almost necessitates a brother vs brother match for mania. Which is fine except that HHH - Lesnar is the least built up option of the 3 winners this sunday.

This was a weird Raw. For one, the match order was weird, and two, the promos were building up Dean vs the authority and Reigns vs Lesnar. The handful of sexual references were great too.

18. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Shinsuke is debuting at Takeover Dallas v Zayn and Anderson/Gallows contracts just ended

19. VanityHalfBlack

^ looking forward to see them debut, can't wait. I'm glad I got the WWE network in time. Triple H just announce a cruiser weight Show, that sounds ******g awesome. More bang for your buck!!!

20. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I followed the hype surrounding Lucha Underground, and thought that there was no way it was going to live up to it. Everyone talked about this guy named Pentagon Jr. as being the greatest heel ever, but all I saw was a guy who looked out of shape enough to need to wrestle in a T-Shirt. I saw an intergender match built around no-selling and borderline sexual assault by some X-Games wannabe. Half the guys didn't speak English, and the top face and heel were muscular bland WWE washout, and flippy bland WWE washout.

So I watched, and quickly found out that indeed, Lucha Underground wasn't as good as advertised...

ITS WAY, WAY, WAY better.

This is not a great wrestling show. This is a great TV show, full stop. I honestly haven't been so excited, so attached to a show since Community before Dan Harmon was fired.

It just does wrestling in such a different way to what WWE has put out there, stripping away so many of the annoyances and tired tropes. It's hard to point to just one thing it does in a superior manner, even in how shows are booked.

I just think about how WWE booked this IC title match between Kevin Owens and Dolph Ziggler, and how Lucha Underground booked Drago/Aerostar.

In WWE, KO and Ziggler wrestle pointlessly, until KO wins a meaningless title to clean up the main storyline, and rather than add to the feud, it literally might as well not exist. After they finish, neither has anything to do.

In LU, Drago and Aerostar were made to wrestle 5 times in a row, changed the psychology as the matches progressed, then the winner was elevated up the card for an intermediate title feud that managed to make everyone look good, established a previous midcarder as a serious threat and super babyface, made the heel authority figure act like a real heel, transitioned the champion into his next program, and sewed the seeds for an Ultima Lucha match.

There's nothing stopping the WWE from doing stuff like this. It just makes watching the incredibly dumb crap on Raw even less tolerable.

Watch Lucha Underground. You will not be disappointed. But start season 1 on episode 8, the one before Aztec Warfare.