1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

But that's just it. His contract was technically up. The Rockets had to exercise that 4th year option. So it's not an issue of Les being frugal or cheap. He and Morey wanted McHale back intentionally gave him another year that they were under no obligation to compensate him for. And that's a decision that seems inexplicable to me after the failure of last season.

2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I'm a big fan of Morey, but I McHale is going to be his downfall. People make mistakes with roster moves. Morey has been more good than bad though.

But not moving on from McHale may cost him. McHale is an awful head coach.

I can't even get excited like I should be for another season because McHale at coach is handicapping yourself.

3. houactuar

houactuar Member

McHale is all right. He needs some quality assistants though. Good players make good coaches. Young players make mistakes. Parsons and Lin are gone now, so there will be fewer brain fart mistakes like happened vs Portland.

4. count_dough-ku

Good players do not always make good coaches. Isiah Thomas and Magic Johnson(not to mention McHale) are living proof of that.

As for young players making mistakes, yes they do. But what alarmed me about McHale was how young players on his team kept making boneheaded plays game after game. Remember that stupid blown breakaway layup attempt by Jeremy Lin near the end of Game 3 that nearly gave that one away to Portland? Well he did the same damn thing late in Game 6. Only that blown layup luckily was rebounded by Dwight(and he was then fouled). A good coach would teach his players when to attack and when to play conservatively. He'd also know to call a timeout when you're up 2 with the ball late in regulation instead of getting trapped along the baseline and turning it over.

5. houactuar

houactuar Member

Ok, Drax the Destroyer.

6. houactuar

houactuar Member

Drax the Destroyer: NOTHING goes over my head!... My reflexes are too fast, I would catch it.

7. Fantasma Negro

I wonder if James could convince Coach K to leave his kingdom at duke and come coach the Rockets...a guy can dream

8. houactuar

houactuar Member

Dream on.

Who are assistants now that kelvin went for cougars?

I recall them going after Hollins, but he got hired after Kidd went psycho and left Brooklyn. I hope we got someone good.

I bet harden learned some good stuff this summer too.

9. count_dough-ku

"I am Groot!"

(Translation: "Fire McHale!")

10. houactuar

houactuar Member

I am groot.

Translation: stop hating on the coach. He isn't Thanos.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

J.B. Bickerstaff, Chris Finch, Greg Buckner - same three as last year. Of course minus Dean Cooper and Kelvin Sampson.

Didn't hire any new assistants. Going with what they got.

Went after Lionel Hollins but he was never coming here.

If you believe cybersex, they also talked to or about Mike Brown and Chauncey Billups(LOL)

Rockets offseason coaching carousel went about as well as their free agency plans.

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Time to change the thread attention to this one.

13. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Despite obvious changes needed since McHale will not get fired for reasons we all know, why still no freaking assistants who have shown they can get players to play defense and implement a more varied offense?

14. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

This is the final year of McHale's contract. If he doesn't show growth, he'll be gone at the end of the year. Just be patient.

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Yeah waste another year of a prime Howard and a prime Harden, two of the best players at their position, two of the top 10 players in the league just to see if this incompetent, pathetic joke of a coach in McHale shows some growth. Great idea.

His coaching record is mediocre at best and his playoff coaching was borderline embarassing being outcoached and outthought by Stotts of all. No team with McHale as head coach will EVER get close to winning it all.

16. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

We know you don't like McHale, but do you have to say the same thing over and over in every page of this thread? Did he rape your mother or something, geez, by the way you post it seems personal.

17. houactuar

houactuar Member

I agree.

Lin and Parsons cost us the Portland series. It isn't McHale's fault. And you have to tip your hat to Portland, Aldridge and Lillard played out of their minds.

Harden is young. And he's a very, very good player, but he is not MJ. And it took Jordan until age 28 to win a title. So we should give Harden until at least 28, maybe 30.

Ariza will be better than Parsons for sure. Ariza can actually play defense, and is less worried about modeling.

18. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Why are we wasting another year with Mchale?...the rockets have given him chance after and he has failed miserably. And what does he get?...more chances!!!...we aren't winning with him as coach. So don't get your hopes up.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Did I miss something? Did McHale already make a controversial substitution or play call in the crunch time of September 19th?

or... did we just arbitrarily feel the need to bump this thread to give us something else to talk about besides fake insiders, Ricky Rubio, and hurt feelings?

If that's the case than good for you guys. However... Let's try and exercise here, and see what happens.

I have a request. Let's all pick a play, or set that you'd like to see the Rockets run more of, or add to their sets. What do you want the basketball makeup of this team to be, and what do you want McHale to run as the makeup of their offense (or if you'd like to tackle team defense, have at it).

I'll start. I think the Rockets should try to run more Horns with Dwight & D-Mo as the two bigs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt3C_NB5n70

This offensive set really has great use for the current lineup that the Rockets run. They run it alot already, but I don't know that they utilize it as much as some teams do when incorporating it into their overall scheme.

My favorite part of Horns is being able to go high low with Dwight and another big. I remember the last few weeks that Dwight played in the LA with Gasol when Kobe went down with an injury, this set was virtually unstoppable, and almost turned that team around even though it was pretty much too late.

-Obviously in this set, Harden is the PG, and whoever is the "Support Guard" plays out in the corner.

I'd love to see what D-Mo can do with some time playing in this set. Team Lithuania plays out of this set pretty much entirely, and its part of their makeup. D-Mo hasn't shown that he can be consistent, but the most frustrating thing about D-Mo as a player is that he has these flashes, and then ends up losing his head on the court and ultimately ends up back on the bench.

I dunno... What do you guys think McHale can do to better the Rockets play on the court. Video's, graphs, etc. are encourage. How can McHale's gameplay improve this team. I know the Rockets run Horns quite a bit already, but I would love to see more complex action especially by utilizing more action with the bigs. You have Dwight Howard on this team.... we need to use him better, and think these sets can really get the best of both worlds.

And if you think McHale's system is too far gone(Instead of just b****ing about it), lets hear and see what other sets you'd like to see run by another coach, and again... video, and other stimulating evidence of that system is encouraged.

#8279 dobro1229, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  20. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

And just when I thought it was dead.......
    He's the coach this season. That is not changing. What has he done this offseason to warrant bumping this repeatedly?