1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Sign Tarik Black

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Aug 27, 2014.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Does anyone on this site do research anymore or do you just see the name, don't recognize it and assume they suck?

Smooth interview:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EwA8omxeTMU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some dunks and blocks (1 steal):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pAtMu6s1v1Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I want to see a big man rebound, block shots and hit free throws. Why aren't there highlight reels like this?!! haha

2. dragician

dragician Member

is Daryl a racist? He gave away Parsons for nothing and now signed Black? ;)

3. CertifiedTroll

I see a four year college player that averages 5 points in his final season, then I assume he sucks.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I watched the summer league games, not very impressed. He is pretty strong, but not all that athletic or tall/long. Also don't take or make many jump shots at all. OK as a filler body, but can't see him being all that special or even get a roster spot over Adrien and Dorsey. The plan is likely to cut him in preseason, which I think allows HOU some priority in getting his DLeague rights.

5. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Tarik Black will give you hustle, defense and rebound. And best of what he brings is:

6 fouls to give

6. langal

langal Contributing Member

The next Lebron.

7. don grahamleone

You aren't smart. Assuming is what it is.

The guy only played 13.5 minutes per game. Why? Why only 13 minutes when he shoots 69% from the floor? Oh yeah, he's playing behind Joel Embiid and Perry Ellis. Not to mention he's playing with the number one pick in the draft so how many balls is he going to see while playing 13 minutes a game?

He played well at Memphis and is relatively injury free. I'm not saying he's a great prospect, but there is no evidence that "he sucks" whatsoever. He rebounds, he finishes at a high rate, and he knows what you have to do when you are playing behind stars. These are all good things if you're trying to play a role in the NBA.

Then the Rockets see him in a mini-camp against other NBA prospects and he does this: 13 points, 9 rebounds (6 defensive and 3 offensive), 6-for-6 FGs

Again, I don't see anything that tells me suck. But that's because I did some research. Lazy sack.....

1 person likes this.
  8. don grahamleone

I'm with you on the possible DLeague development. That interview tells me he has the right disposition for going down to develop his game in the valley. I do worry about how much he'll develop when a 3 point madman is the head coach though.

9. BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog Contributing Member

Cleared out my ignore list from LOFs, now rebuilding it.

10. JamalP.

JamalP. Member

Would rather have P. Young but not a bad consolation

11. King901

King901 Member

Good for you. Put on your special hat first.

12. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Is he related to rapper Crunchy Black?

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Really surprised i'll be the first to make this comparison in this thread.

Tarik Black is the Black Greg Smith.

Greg Smith - Height - 6' 9.25 Weight - 253 Wingspan - 7' 2.5 - Standing reach - 8' 10.5 Body fat% - 7.4

Tarik Black - Height - 6' 8.5 Weight - 253 Wingspan - 7' 2.75 Standing reach - 8' 11 Body fat% - 10.2

Both born in 1991

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/epMOi_126j4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pAtMu6s1v1Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Very similar players, If Black turns out to be as good as Smith then great signing.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Woops nevermind missed those 2, still, it needs to be emphasized how extremely similar they are.

15. CertifiedTroll

Saying I am not smart is assuming (but could be correct). I watched him play all summer league and he is not better than Jones, DMo, Dorsey, or Adrien.. You shouldn't call out and insult other posters for saying a player sucks when he is a lesser version of two guys who most likely will get third string minutes.

16. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

This guy looks like a crappy version of JJ Hickson.

17. i3artow i3aller

18. don grahamleone

Bump! He's in the game as I type.

19. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

And he sucks

20. don grahamleone

Care to explain your opinion?

Just kidding. I don't want to read your opinion.