1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Muslims in Germany demand the right to make the University of Berlin into a mosque

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, May 27, 2016.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Im referring to the word banned. If you're not sure, call the school up on Tuesday and ask.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I don't watch posted videos in general, but in reading other articles, they want a place on campus to pray.

Misleading thread title about an interesting issue. I don't see why a university has to provide a place to pray. Poop, sure. Breastfeed, maybe. Get coffee, absolutely.

I don't think my (incredibly liberal) university in America has a place where a huge group could pray five times a day or whatever. We have a little non-denominational meditation room that anyone can use but it probably wouldn't even fit 15 prone muslims at a time.

3. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Repped

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Who cares, they're Germans, let the Germans deal with it.

I don't care for people who demand prayer spaces at working places, but it's not an unusual request and it's not asking the university to be turned into a mosque, you drama queen.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It actually is.

The only ones who would demand it and then stage a public demonstration about it are certain followers of a supremacist political/religious ideology called Islam.

As to the thread title, it is copied and pasted from the video source page. But there is nothing wrong with it - it is not misleading. Demanding that a secular and publicly funded institution provides a place of prayer to a supremacist religious/political ideology means demanding to turn (part of) the university into a de facto mosque.

Go to your freaking mosque if you want to pray, or do it quietly to yourself. But don't expect that a taxpayer-funded German institution caters to your ever-increasing demands.

#25 AroundTheWorld, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You haven't read or heard or watched any of the hundreds of cases of Christian Americans crying about praying in school?

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No, but they are also wrong, in my opinion, if that's the case (if it's a publicly funded, public school - if it is a school operated by a Christian charity or a Muslim charity, it's obviously something different).

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Oh boy. You should do some research. Just Google 'school prayer'.

I bet you the first ten hits are going to be about Christians demanding the right for public school prayers before a single Muslim is mentioned

I just find it mildly amusing that people like Space Ghost and Falcon Talon come in here to berate these Muslims for a prayer space where they will PRIVATELY pray while they will gladly support and defend the Christians that want to hold public prayers in public school classrooms.

#28 fchowd0311, May 30, 2016
  9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I googled it. Apparently there were two Supreme Court decisions already in the 60s which pretty much prohibited state-sponsored prayer in public schools?

I'm for a separation of church and state.

But there is also a distinction here insofar as you have a very vocal minority here DEMANDING something. It's a bit different from having a religous/cultural practice that has been established for decades or a century by the absolute majority in a country. Just imagine Christians staging a demonstration like this in Saudi Arabia or Pakistan (or most other Muslim-majority countries), DEMANDING that a government building opens a Christian prayer room for them.

Do you think that would go over well?

10. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Wait what? I came in here and did what?

I repped space ghost for calling out Sweet Lou on his double standard.

Here's my take. It's Germany. Just like I said on that Chinese commercial thread.

BUT If you want my take on religion in school in the good old U. S. of A,, whatever is decided, make it the same for everyone.

#30 Falcons Talon, May 30, 2016
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

All hail the great Spaghetti monster, which is just as made up as the rest of em.

It is time to start deporting those that are not willing to join in a society, if they want to recreate something that never worked in the first place send em packing.

DD

12. Exiled

Exiled Member

You are confused over two separate issues :
    faith practice & compliance with the law. The 1st is a personal matter regardless how you feel about it , the other is a mandatory obligation to everyone. If the school feel it is better to prohibit religious facilities on campus premises then that should be it. For those students they should look for plan B. renting a place near by would be one of the alternatives

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The article used that word and I think it's a legitimate word to describe the situation in preventing school officials from using a particular word. Not sure what your problem is.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What happened to that?

[​IMG]

Looks like you lie when you wake up in the morning, New Yorker/Sweet Lou/whatever other user name you use.

1 person likes this.
  15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

pathological liar he is :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  16. Exiled

Exiled Member

easy call : it is an obsession , you did't get over him, so addictive this Sweet_lou-4 2 to you

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Please get back to us once you have completed elementary school. Thanks.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Screw them too - separation of church and state is there for a reason, if they want to pray in school go to a religious school.

DD

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

it happens daily over here, and the reason we don't know about it is because those people just ask to use a room for 5 minutes and do their stuff in private, and then leave. Don't think there is an official room like it was at my uni but my buds would just go there and come out.

These people protesting are making too big a deal imo

20. Exiled

Exiled Member

so.. you are a stalker to those who finished elementary school , very professional indeed