1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Captain America 3

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Apr 7, 2014.

1. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Wow. That was truly impressive. I was really happy how they handled all of the characters. I'll add more tomorrow after I sleep.

2. Rudy

Rudy Member

My screening had a lot of kids.

They'll love Spider-man, my theater clapped when they saw him, and they also loved Ant-Man.

If this was Batman/Superman then I'd say "NO" don't take your kids to see a Snyder movie. But Captain America Civil War is fine, they make movies basically for almost all ages.

3. Rudy

Rudy Member

One of the funniest lines in the move, anyone notice was almost like an unintentional dig at BvS' Martha scene?

After the Bucky/Steve fight in the Prison, when Bucky came to, Steve asked him if he was back to normal and Bucky replied "I know your Mom's name is Sarah."

Then Falcon was like "Wait? That's it? And you guys are friends now?"

:grin:

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

man just finished watching it tonight...Have to say...very much liked it...:)

Spiderman's scenes were funny, The Black Panther's role and costume was bad ass...Never watched Antman before, but he had his moments. Not sure why they keep bringing Renner back for such a pathetic role. Cap and Iron man had some great fight scenes. Overall would rate the movie at a 7.5/10.

5. Pete the Cheat

I think I am more excited about seeing the new Spider-Man now than I am Infinity War. They nailed the character

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Came in expecting too much I think. So it fell short for me. The first 45min or so felt disjointed. Just... stuff happening - cut scene/new scene. I'd rank it 4th, after Winter Soldier, Iron Man, Avengers. I was expecting something that would compete with those and DK I guess.

Not as sold on the Russo's as everyone else. Winter Soldier's cinematography felt more polished and the dialogue more meaningful. This movie seemed like someone else was directing it.

I still liked it though, more of a B+ for me.

7. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Did you do AMC Prime in Willowbrook? The movie seemed out of focus for me. I thought it was because I was sitting on the sides but my friends in the middle complained to. Oh well, gives me an excuse to go watch it a 2nd time.

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Sorry for the length in advance. Thanks to idiots/assholes on the internet I came in more or less knowing everything that would happen with a few exceptions:
    (I didn't know there were other winter soldiers for example)

I really loved this movie for a few reasons:

1. It felt like there was actual growth in the characters, you can actually see the progression from First Avenger -> Winter Soldier -> Civil War for Cap. You also see just how close friends he's become with some of the characters like Black Widow (or the tinge of resentment/jealousy Falcon has for Bucky. Some of the funniest scenes were those two.)

You can also see Tony Stark's progression from the first Iron Man where he basically laughed at the government and, felt little responsibility for his actions to now where he seemingly has the weight of the world in regret. His progression is the exact opposite of Cap's as they've gone through the MCU. Cap was 100% a G-man, and now he is extremely distrustful of all authority.

2. A line was truly drawn in the sand. Neither side was wrong. They all had genuine reasons for what they believed in. If you sided with Iron Man, you were right. If you sided with Cap (as I pretty much always will), you were also right. A lot of reviews said that the end was very hard to watch, and I didn't expect it to be because it's a movie...but it was...it was very hard to watch. Unlike a certain other movie, attempts were made to talk things out, but there are certain things that will always be unforgivable.

3. Every character shined for a moment.
    Hawkeye basically dropped 20 cars on Iron Man...
    I've never been a huge Spider-man guy, but Tom Holland was as others have said perfect. I had little interest in the new Spider-man movie, and now I could not be more excited. Black Panther was just like the comics, mysterious, powerful, avenging -- everything I had hoped to see live. Obviously Ant-Man was a big deal, but I don't feel like any characters were really dis-serviced.
    (Pun intended, haha)

4. It established limits for certain extremely powerful characters. This in my opinion is why I've always preferred Marvel's characters over DC's. A lot of DC characters (especially Superman) are virtually omnipotent. Marvel's characters have always had flaws. Iron Man is an egomaniac, and an alcoholic. Cap while as virtuous as he is, he's stubborn, and he makes mistakes, in short; he's human.
    (like I don't know, not telling Iron Man that Bucky killed his parents when under mind control)

5. The ending isn't cut and dry. There's some question as to what comes next, I don't like things neat, orderly, and wrapped up in a bow. This definitely isn't that.
    Are Cap's Avengers all on the run now? Is Scott Lang a fugitive again? He was just exonerated over his whole corporate theft thing, haha. Is Ant-Man and the Wasp going to take place after or before Civil War? Will Bucky show up in Black Panther? I have to imagine Zemo won't be locked up forever...where's he going?

The Bad:

Honestly, there's very little I didn't like. There were a couple plot holes, but nothing that would make me majorly dislike the movie. (Eg: "Martha!").
    (Did Spiderman sign the Sokovia Accords? If not, didn't Iron Man technically do something illegal?)
    I did agree that some of Zemo's plan seemed to be a little lucky, but:
    if I just found that Bucky killed my parents, and Cap knew the whole time, I would have ****ed them up too. I think you could argue Zemo understood Tony Stark's psychology and knew he wouldn't be able to let it go. Especially after what happened to War-Machine. He did say he's been planning this for years.

All in all, it's one of my favorite Marvel movies to date. It's right up there with Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers, Iron Man, and Winter Soldier. If I had a gun to my head and had to pick an order:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy (comedy, sci-fi, beautiful cinematography, infinity stones, a talking tree, and a pissed off talking raccoon with guns.)
    2. Avengers (I think it's the nostalgia factor, seeing all of those characters on screen at the same time. great villain in loki.)
    3. Civil War (great action, high stakes, arguably the best action sequence in a superhero movie to date.)
    4. Winter Soldier (awesome plot, grounded, felt like it was happening in the real world, another great villain in winter soldier, and it flipped the mcu on it's head with the hydra/shield reveal)
    5. Iron Man (it started this whole thing. rdj owns iron man / tony stark.)

P.S.
    The airport scene in IMAX (not 3D mercifully) was nuts. I'd pay $20 just to watch that on loop.

#328 seclusion, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
  9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I kinda agree with your sentiment and see where you're coming from. The first act was very jumpy with all the locations, exposition, and background origins for the introduced characters. But I think the Russo's did as well as they could with introducing all the new guys.

I think Winter Soldier was a better overall movie as it was more focused and directed well, but Civil War was very fan servicey and great at balancing all the characters while still having a Captain America feel to it. Winter Soldier would barely edge out the win, in my opinion.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

At one point I swear General Ross refers to someone named Ben (along with Thor) being unaccounted for, and that being similar to him losing 2 nuclear weapons. Who is Ben? Or did he actually say Bruce?

Martin Freeman was a nice pull, so you'd figure he would have gotten some decent screentime...

What's up with Vision shooting War Machine? Did SW really make him lose focus, or did Vision take her side or a moment, or did she use her powers to change the outcome of the shot? I'm guessing genuine lack of focus and that they might explore that relationship, similar to the comics. But it didn't feel cut and dry.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I agree, they introduced new characters well. Even the ones we've already seen that weren't Avengers, like Ant-Man. It was the build-up/non-action that seemed to lack polish. I guess you didn't have Sam Jackson & Redford slowly developing depth and tension over the course of a movie.

12. marky :)

marky :) Member

I'm like 95% sure he said Bruce.

And for your spoiler.

I really think it was lack of focus on his part due to his new feelings towards SW.

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

He said Thor and Banner. Ross hates Bruce Banner. See: Incredible Hulk.

They basically explained that he lost focus. He was totally aiming for Falcon, but he was distracted by Scarlet Witch. He was also definitely pulling punches. If he wanted he could disintegrate anyone on that team. He has an infinity stone.

Martin Freeman has stated his role will expand. His character is associated with Black Panther in the comics, if you feel me.

#333 seclusion, May 6, 2016
  14. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I thought it was because Vision is still trying to understand his powers. He and Scarlet Witch connect on that, and understanding themselves was their arc in the movie.

15. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

16. marky :)

marky :) Member

Question for those that have seen it

NOTE: Seriously, if you haven't seen the movie DON'T DARE CLICK ON THIS SPOILER

How long do you think Capt has known that Bucky killed Stark's parents? Since Winter Soldier movie or before/after?

17. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Renner needs to be replaced. he looks like a 50+ yr old lesbian now. Spidey was the highlight and then Black Panther. Never was a fan of CA so that why I was rooting for Team Ironman.

I'm tired of that Jason Bourne shaky chaos action style of filmmaking. It's so 2007. Even the new Bourne film seems to have moved away from it. But yeah the action pieces didn't do anything for me.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That airport scene everyone loved felt a bit lifeless to me. The set/environment felt fake (yeah, I know it IS fake). It was like a moment out of Call of Duty instead of Battlefield.

19. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Since Winter Soldier.

Actually I thought this was Renner's best performance as Hawkeye. I also feel like this is the first movie that has really done the character justice.
    I do get your point on the action, it was hard to follow at times. I attributed that to the angle I was seeing the screen (off from the side), but I definitely see the complaint.
    I think it was less of an issue later in the movie, especially during the airport battle. I mostly noticed it during the fast moving hand to hand fights earlier in the film.

They did evacuate the airport prior to them arriving. That was the point of the sirens going off in the garage.

#339 seclusion, May 6, 2016
  20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

+1 my thoughts exactly