1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

is there a hiring thread?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Charles Jones, Mar 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Nebmoney

Nebmoney Member

You can always log into Gateway and browse that.
    Go Coogs

1 person likes this.
  2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Personal commentary on my part; even though I got my first energy job from Monster.com back when it was first ramping up, I don't think that thing along with careerbuilder are much more than spam bait nowadays. I do my best to look for the actual company or recruiter's site if I see a posting on Monster; if they use it exclusively and I submit there then I inevitably get some stupid fake telecommuting job solicitations or Primerica type spam.

Indeed and SimplyHired are similar except that SimplyHired is vastly inferior. SimplyHired, by some form or fashion, is very clearly post-dating old and often-times dead job listings. Always use indeed.com if you're choosing between the two.

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

You should be looking at the Merrill Lynch Financial Advisor program, or similar programs with other higher end brokerages. Cut rate guys like First Investors will charge you for your Series 7 & 63 training, and they're not screening for college grads.

4. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I do agree, to a point. Indeed is much better than SimplyHired, but some have told me SimplyHired worked very well for them, particularly with the Search Agent feature.

Monster and Career Builder? Yeah, there's a reason they are at the bottom of the list. You'd be amazed at how many people's job search strategy is:

1. Post resume to Monster.
    2. Wait for the phone call or email message (that never comes)

Truth be told, all of those can be effective tools, but they are just that...tools. Most of the people I've spoken with over the past 16 years used the good old fashioned networking strategy.

5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

We use Indeed and SimplyHired almost exclusively. There's a third but I forget what its called. Monster is good as well, but it's just too expensive. Thier resume search is legit though.

1 person likes this.
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I go to 100k+ jobs dot com

7. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

I go to OurTime dot com and search for rich old ladies to shack up with.

8. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

LinkedIn is the best place to find jobs, period. If you don't have a fully updated LinkedIn page, you're job searching wrong. I get 10-15 inquiries a WEEK on LinkedIn, and I have it literally spelled out on my profile "I AM NOT SEEKING NEW OPPORTUNITIES AT THIS TIME!"

I've gotten my past two jobs (over four years) after being contacted through LinkedIn, no searching even required.

Also, LinkedIn has "groups," so look for Houston-area finance or business related groups and join them. Recruiters will post openings on those pages daily.

1 person likes this.
  9. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

Just to through it out there. My friend works at Mister Car wash and the guys that sell the detail packages make about 60K to 65K a year or more.

Not sure if you are willing to sell car washes but its a decent living till you find something better.

10. Svpernaut

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

We are hiring a B2B at Staples. If you hit your numbers you will make minimum 65k. Tough job, but looks good on a resume and opens doors for any recent graduates looking to go into sales.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Nice employer you got there.

13. NateNate

NateNate Member

Hmmm what location? I'm in the market for a new mattress.

14. Svpernaut

Disregard the game room, as there are just two ping pong tables. Everything else is awesome though. We're moving offices soon to Greenway (6-12 months) I'm working to get an 84" and an Xbox One in there.

I went to five Rocket's game this season (2 playoff games) on their dime though! We have two sets of season tickets. Section 116 about 15 rows back and Row D on the floor.

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Catered lunches is legit.

You just go ahead and let me know when they need a controller / cfo / cpa position.

:grin:

16. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Ping Pong?! Challenge accepted!

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

2204 E. Main St., League City, TX

Don't do it brah.

18. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

Do you happen to know the pay range on the Software Engineering job?

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Do you have anything that requires none of the skills that y'all are looking for? :)