1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uber

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dnjndmrc5, Aug 13, 2014.

1. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

You are not supposed to tip your Uber driver as a service fee (i.e. tip) is built into the price. You are supposed to just say thanks and get out. However, there is nothing stopping you from giving some cash to the driver if you feel he/she deserves it.

I used Uber just after midnight in Chicago and paid regular (non-surge) pricing. Surge pricing probably kicked in more like 12:30 or 1?

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I took Uber in DC on NYE and the driver was handing out beer from a cooler in his front seat. Not sure if this is part of the protocol. He didn't seem to be drinking, but it was kind of funny. Gave him a good rating and nice tip at the end.

3. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I was in Park City this past week. And though they have excellent and free bus system there was one night when it was running really late. Took us way too long to get to dinner so after the dinner I downloaded the Uber app and used it for the very first time. It was painless. I ended up using it twice again while I was there.
    I tried to use Lyft since I hate all the stuff Uber was doing but Lyft was not offered in that city.

4. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

If anyone here drives for Lyft, sidecar or any other rideshare service and would like to drive for Uber, they are offering a $500 bonus after your first ride.

Here is the link to apply

get.uber.com/cl/rideshare500/?invite_code=vt57bv

If you're interested in driving for Uber in general, here is the link:

There is a $100 sign on bonus with this link...but you have to complete more than one ride.

https://partners.uber.com/drive/?invite_code=vt57bv

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

great article by a journalist who spent time as an Uber driver

http://citypaper.net/uberdriver/

6. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Finally used Uber in Chicago a few weeks ago and locally in Addison. Nice and easy, way cheaper than taxis in my experience. Wife and I are totally onboard, will be using reguarlly.

If you haven't used it before, just look up promo codes, we've used it 4 or 5 times now and we've only paid 5 bucks out of pocket thus far with all the promo codes.

7. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Can someone explain uber to me? Never used or registered before. Can you direct me to some promo codes that'll get me off to the right start?

8. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

https://www.uber.com/invite/uberkg1906

#328 glad_ken, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
  9. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

10. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Yeah, I've read similar Futurology reports. I do agree that it's the way we're heading. Haven't read this paper yet but does it also mention how it will potentially drop real estate values too? Think of all the parking garages/parking lots/park and rides/gas stations/car dealerships/car mechanics/and even home garages that will no longer be needed as the cars will drop you off and speed off to pick someone else up. Freeways, like the Pierce Elevated, will be torn up or slimmed down since there is way less traffic.

Of course lots of people in all related industries will lose their jobs. Unions and corporate lackeys will fight hard against all of that but progress will win. But eventually new industries will be created and we'll all benefit.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

It can be very disruptive in the short term and harmful to people that work in those industries. But it benefits everyone else, and in the long term in frees up human capital to be more productive.

Bitcoin will do the same thing, make lots of lawyers and accountants and bankers obsolete when many of their functions are programmable with code.

Here's a thought, imagine an autonomous self driving vehicle running its own code to find and pick up passengers, to refuel itself at automatic fueling stations. To accept payments (in bitcoin perhaps) and spend it on fuel and maintenance. Controlled by no one, answerable to no one. It never stops, just keeps running its code. Skynet is coming.

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

minus the fuel part. although we are a long Long time away from people not being enthusiasts about cars. i mean you can looks a the thousands of sites for different cars.

here would be the one i looks at for my car the370z.com

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I swear every time I'm in Chicago for business I seem to get the same group of drivers. They all drive a Prius and they all impress me with how quick a Prius can actually be. Slow down, I wanna drink my coffee!

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Started using it out in the suburbs...too many cops with nothing to do.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Do they even have a Joe's Crab Shack or Applebee's more than .2 miles from any house in Katy? Cant you just walk to the Arby's?

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I love Uber.

Had an Uber driver pick me up from my house since I had been having a good time and he (I think purposefully since he also ignored his GPS) took the long way adding an extra 1.5 miles to the drive. He might have thought I didn't notice.

Reported it to Uber after giving him a one star and got a $5 refund on my fair.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Too tired from all the key parties with sex-hungry cougars out here. Gotta get my rest in when I can!

18. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

Wow... I wonder how he got out of this charge?

Uber driver accused of sexual assault will not face charges

[​IMG]

A Houston Uber driver accused of sexually assaulting a passenger will not face charges, a Harris County grand jury has decided.

Duncan Eric Burton, 57, was arrested April 1 on suspicion of one count of sexual assault, a second-degree felony. A woman said she woke up Jan. 27 in bed in Burton's home after a night of drinking.

The incident led to concerns that Uber, which connects interested riders with willing drivers using their own vehicles in most cases, was operating outside the bounds of the rules set by city officials in November.

Burton, who did not have a required city license to drive for Uber but was still on the company's system and accepting rides, told investigators the woman was unable to tell him where she lived. After three unsuccessful attempts to drop her off, Burton said, he took her to his home. He said the two had consensual sex there.

The woman told police she had no recollection of Burton or of consenting to sex.

Wednesday, a Harris County grand jury opted not to indict Burton. Burton, however, can't legally resume driving for Uber in Houston. Because of a prior stint in federal prison related to drug charges, he remains ineligible to drive a for-hire vehicle in Houston, said Lara Cottingham, deputy assistant director in the city's Regulatory Affairs Department.

Uber representatives were not immediately available for comment.

Burton's arrest led to strengthened enforcement by the city and by Uber. When he was arrested after at least six months driving for Uber, critics said the episode validated their concerns that the company wasn't following the rules it had agreed to obey.

Since early April, Cottingham said, compliance by drivers regarding city-required licenses and vehicle inspections has improved.

Because of various public record requests challenged by the company in court - including three by the Houston Chronicle - Houston cannot release data about how many Uber drivers are licensed with the city.

"I can tell you the number of drivers that have come in since April … indicate that many, many drivers are coming in and being licensed now than before," Cottingham said.

http://www.chron.com/news/transport...ccused-of-sexual-assault-will-not-6335602.php

19. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yeah, I've heard of drivers doing this. Usually they do it to drunk college kids, since they figure most of us don't know the area and/or that we won't realize what we're doing.

20. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

I've been unable to use Uber because I can't receive the damn confirmation text, anyone know what the issue could be? Having the same issue with Venmo.