1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Some Thoughts After Watching the Preseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This team definitely could make it to the 2nd round. Won't go beyond that but winning a series would be a nice step.

2. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

troy= a more tanned steve kerr

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Dude, you have Harden and Howard on this team :confused:
    Oh, you're still heartbroken your crush left with another.

4. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Eye test: our starting unit is one of the strongest in the league no doubt. Beverley improved offensively, Ariza is very good on both sides, Harden improved defensively..

Canaan is very solid, not so worried about PG position if Terry, Canaan and Harden take on that PG role when Beverley's on the bench.

D-Mo has improved, just needs to work on his finishing and not fouling. TJ is about the same, didn't see anything special.

Papa will be fine, he's a hard worker and they will always thrive.

As solid as Adrien and Black are, they are just too small but I will take Black over Dorsey anyday.

Dorsey is just not the guy you need, he's not going to improve and Morey can call him best defensive big in FIBA all he wants, he's ****.

Daniels needs to get plays called for him and he needs to know when to shoot and when to do something else with the ball. Keep working hard and he will be get minutes, though not much at the beginning of the season I reckon.

5. joepu

joepu Member

Harden is going to have to play 40 minutes a game. Terry/Daniels will be the primary backups. I doubt Ish/Canaan get any meaningful minutes. For the bigs, it will mainly be Kostas/Dmo.

6. Mr Chuck Norris

Being completely honest....I think we are in trouble if this is our final roster.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Why is Dorsey playing so little in the preseason? Is he really that bad? There was a lot of hype when we signed him.

8. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

9. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

This. Our bench looks horrible. I know there are a lot of homers here trying to make the best out of our position, but seriously... Take a look at some of the other rosters in the stacked west and it's kinda scary. Hopefully Morey has something up his sleeve because if not, this team is not advancing come playoff time as currently constructed.

10. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

OkC?
    Blazers?
    Mavs?
    Memphis?

I'll give you the spurs and maybe the clips and dubs but it's overblown the depth of the west teams

11. Mr Chuck Norris

OKC

Morrow, Lamb, Jackson and Steven Adams

Blazers

Steve Blake, Wesley Matthews, Thomas Robinson, Dorrell Wright an CJ McCallum

Mavs

Jameer Nelson, Charlie V, Aminu, Harris, Greg Smith, and Richard Jefferson (Hey I hear you I think these guys suck, but who on our bench is better)

Grizz

Nick Calethis, Allen, VC, Courntey Lee.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We do not have many household names on the bench, they are young as they have been these past years

but young players do not necessarily spell bad players, right?

13. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

He had some injury bothering him in the training camp and Tarik Black's surprisingly strong play has for sure taken some of his minutes away.

In any case, he was signed for a nightly 10-15 minutes of toughness, rebounding and rim protection at the 5 spot behind Dwight and these things he has provided pretty well. Some people seem to be frustrated at his struggles at the offensive end but I don't know why anybody would expect anything from him at that end anyway. He could cut out a few stupid fouls and a turnover here and there, though.

14. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

We're close, but as long as Lebron or Durant isn't on our team we'll always be one piece away.

Even when our bench was decent McHale would overplay the starters. Harden really needs some rest because he gets sloppy when tired (well all players do, but him especially).

At least Dwight seems to be more consistent.

15. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I think a lot of you guys forget we had a bottom 5 bench last year. It won't be very hard to improve Imo. We have less household names but then again I didn't know caspi And Hamilton were big time players. I'm sure the bench will be better from 3 this yr and if we have that our bench should provide just enough to make us real contenders.

Our starting 5 Is as good as there is out their, and if harden is playing like an mvp with dwight back to his old self, It won't matter what the bench looks like as long as their playing defense and hitting the open 3. This team is going to surprise the league and obviously a lot of the home fans.

I can't wait.

16. treeman

treeman Member

Incorrect. The first thing Morey asks himself when deciding whether to pursue a bench talent is "Is this guy a household name?"

Acid test for all benchers right there.

17. nobie

nobie Member

Mchale uses 8 man rotation most of the time, so that's basically starting : bev, harden, ariza, jones, dwight + bench: terry, papa, dmo. I doubt anyone else will play any meaningful minutes.
    Guard rotation: Harden will play 40mins, Bev 33, Terry 23
    SF rotation: Ariza 30, Papa 18
    PF rotation: Jones 27, Dmo 16, Papa/Black/Adrien 5
    C rotation: Dwight 36, Dmo 5, Dorsey/Black 7
    Give or take minutes from Jones/Dmo/Papa depending how well they play.

18. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This.

Despite what turned out to be a mediocre bench (how else would anyone explain the need for Daniels at sg during the playoffs when he had played a total of 70 regular season minutes), this team won 54 games. The current squad has the capacity to play much better team defense and while Parson's role as a offensive facilitator will be missed, we have more than enough weapons to make up for it.

We will be better than last year. The media and some fans will eat crow this upcoming season.

19. PeppermintCandy

Due to his solid preseason play Tarik Black has pretty much sealed up the backup center position for now.

So at the beginning of the season, we'll likely see Black as backup center and Dorsey as the third string, with DMo playing as a 5 when matchups favor it. Whether this rotation will be capable enough behind Howard remains to be seen.

Meanwhile, I think Joey Dorsey has not been able to show what he is capable of yet, probably because of the injury. He'll need to come back strong if he wants to a shot at the backup center spot.

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

LOL thank you for reminding me in what dire straights the Mavericks are. In Jameer Nelson, Charlie V, and Greg Smith you are looking at vet min guys that the Rockets literally had first dibs on and then rejected. Richard Jefferson and Aminu are in that same group, except they're even scrubbier such that the Rockets didn't even entertain them as a possibility.

Betting against the Mavericks this year will be the easiest money you could make.