1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lack of Rockets talk on Houston Sports Radio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Mar 22, 2013.

1. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

This is true and part of the reason the Texans get so much hype. A large majority of the people are more interested in the tailgating, beer and bbq over the actual game anyway. This particular event draws more of the general crowd

2. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I agree totally. I wonder what the percentage is of sports talk listeners who don't want to or aren't willing to talk Rockets.

If you are a sports fan then you are REQUIRED to appreciate this team. No sarcasm here. There's plenty to appreciate. Regardless if you are a casual basketball fan or not.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would say well over 50% of Sports radio listeners don't care about the Rockets. Sports fans aren't required to appreciate a team in a sport they don't care about.

The past couple of weeks has been better with Rockets talk, but I still find myself listening to meh music over it most of the time unless they have a good guest.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2014/03/zierlein-back-at-no-1-in-latest-radio-ratings/

The rockets are doing very well on the radio, but there probably aren't that many people listening that late so the rating share might be skewed.

Given this data it might behoove the KBME PD to tell Lance to talk more rockets.

However:

So the Lance Zierlein draft extravaganza is probably going to continue. It would be nice if they talked a little more rockets given they are the radio home for the rockets. Koch and Kalu definitely don't talk rockets and Lance and Adam really don't either and they are doing pretty well in the ratings.

5. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

can't believe how much freaking time is spent talking about players pro-day workouts compared to a top 4 western conference / top 5 nba team that happens to be local.

I like the Texans and all but **** this city's fanbase.

6. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

I catch a bit of the morning show (8ish) and a bit of the drive home show (after 5pm).

8 timers out of 10, Lance and Adam are joking around or talking football.

7 times out of 10, I hear Charlie talking Rockets - mostly due to them hosting pre-game shows, having weekly guests like Matt Bullard and Coach Mchale. I just think that Charlie really appreciates the Rockets' success lately so he prefers to talk Rockets instead of beating the dead horse of draft talk.

7. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Adam is only talking Football because of his co host Lance, Adam's not the problem. Lance was out today and first thing I heard when I turned the radio on was them talking basketball. They went into other things too but the show was much more tolerable than normal.

8. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Man, we are one week away from the NBA playoffs and 790 was talking about football movies today on the drive to work, as if there is absolutly nothing else to talk about that we have to discuss old football movies.

9. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the talked Rockets alot, and even had the guy who calls the game, Joel Blank...on to discuss Rockets for additional 15-20 min...the football movie was the sidebar topic...but Rockets was the main topic...I listened from 7-8am

10. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Charlie hate CSN so much and its not even funny, every time he mentioned about the Rockets and there will be a CSN update for sure. Overall, he is the only guy you can still get Rockets talk nowadays. Btw, he is a LOH from the days when Lin was even in NY, never sold on the guy.

Lance is just another Jay Mohr wannabe, his jokes are old and not funny at all, he knows basically nothing besides football.

You get the best quality of basketball talks in Houston radio with Matt and Adam, but unfortunately, they also sucked on marketing their own products and hence got fired.

11. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

It was refreshing to hear a Rockets call.... Wth am a I saying?

It's honestly kind of impressive the apathy 790 and it's callers are towards the Rockets. It's literally a 7/1 ratio last couple of days in Texans draft to Rockets conversations on the station.

As the official radio station of the Rockets it's stupid how 610 literally talks 10x more about the the team...

I understand this is a football city, but Texans are atrocious. Rockets are in the playoffs and it's televised on national television.. What's the excuse?

12. RCPM

RCPM Member

610 is the home of the texans, not the Rockets.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He was trying to say "610 talks about 10 times as much as 790, the Home of the Rockets."

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's pretty clear that many of the hosts are given talking tidbits or just highlights. They have no insight or anything interesting to talk about. Usually a waste of time to listen to them. The only worthwhile one are when they have Rocket's personnel on.

Thanks goodness for Clutchfans.

Would be awesome if there is a "live" internet podcast after each playoff game, with Q/A from fans (online and/or voice).

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I was listening to 610 over the weekend and one of those days nick wright was doing a national show. He knows his NBA. I would venture to guess he is the most knowledgeable NBA guy in the Houston radio or maybe 2nd to charlie. 610 morning show talks more rockets than 790. I can't believe the rockets don't put pressure on 790 to talk rockets.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I listened to Pallilo on 790 for about 45 minutes yesterday and all he (and his callers) talked about was the Rockets.

17. conquistador#11

i'm just happy to report that since week 5 of the texans last season, i've stayed sports talk free. seems like i'm not missing much. wait, i do listen to every astros game on the station but that's only because we're so bad that we can't even get one pirated link on the internet!

18. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I get my Rockets talk from here. So I don't care what the crazy people on the radio call in to say. It's usually jibberish anyway. I actually tuned in this morning, and they gave away tickets based on Rockets trivia. Man it was sad, dudes didn't know the answers!

19. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

If they started a HATE LIN PROGRAM it would be really popular in Houston.

you know, like a talk back show.

20. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

These past 2 days since the rockets loss, here is what I witnessed. 610 has talked rockets just a little bit but primarily it is still Texan draft. Lance/Adam have now started going in to the rockets in the morning. Charlie goes all out Rockets in the afternoon. Matt Thomas has his tid bits with Parsons but for the most part is talking about random stuff, I"m beginning to not like his show. You will hear a little from 97.5 local guys at the beginning before they also go into other stuff. 1560 talks about absolutely nothing, I dno't know why those guys are even on the radio.