1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jameer Nelson close to being a Mav

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by zeeshan2, Jul 23, 2014.

1. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I had LP, do not play 2K, and would still prefer Nelson to Ish Smith.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Ish Smith the 3rd string PG here...

You wanna pay $2.5 mil to Nelson to be a third stringer? He ain't better than Canaan.

3. newAge_Rockets

I would rather see Canaan or Johnson develop in lieu of signing Nelson. He's a solid bench guy, but he's a shell of what he used to be. He does help the Mavs rather terrible point guard rotation though.

4. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Yep....

Willing to bet we still finish higher than the Mavs next year.

Did people forget that we still have 2 superstars (Harden/Howard)? Ariza (who performs in playoffs)? A young PF duo in DMO/Jones? 2nd team All-NBA defensive player in Bev? Nick Johnson?

The Mavs are capped out and have about a similar shot at winning a title as we have.

Fans need to chill. Be patient.

5. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Ish Smith is just a camp body (will prob get cut). He's not getting the PT, unless he blows peoples minds...

It seems Canaan will get more of a shot.....

6. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Also...

Harden is getting better.... Howard is playing with chip on shoulder...

This team will get at least 54+ wins this year... (barring an unforeseen injury)

7. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I'm not ready to make a declaration on Canaan one way or the other until I see his SL showing translate to the league. In any event, I would have liked to see us offer Nelson the minimum -- perhaps he wouldn't have taken it, but I think he's valuable enough at that price that it doesn't make sense to condescend to people who think he would have been a good signing. Having a quality 3rd guard in AB for part of last season came in handy, particularly given how injury prone Bev is and the fact that certain people are implying that he still isn't healed. So yeah, I'd rather hang my hat on Jameer than Ish.

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Disagree on that quite a lot.

When you have 2 'best in position' players, you are a much stronger chance of winning a title than a team with 0 all stars.

Clearly our chances are on the backs of Harden/Howard. Howard was enormous in the playoffs last season, Harden wasn't. But Harden has been in the past, either he delivers this season (in which case we become a contender), or he doesn't (in which case he becomes 'that guy').

But if Harden (one of the best 'closers' in the game) steps up in this years playoffs, we are a legit chance (not a top contender, but some % chance). Mavs are running at 0% chance. They do not have the tools to win a title.

9. htown1984

htown1984 Member

We have 2 stars in our team. We don't have time to develop anyone forget all this developing crap right now. That's y u have the d league. The rockets need players with experience. Again we have 2 stars and the mavs 1, but at this point the mavs are making better moves. We have a rookie as our back up pg. C'mon man

10. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

That's a homer statement though... they took the Spurs to 7 games... can't discredit that...

The Rockets as a team might be better off in the near future, but we both have an almost equal chance at seeding/etc

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Taking them to 7 games means nothing, it was similar to us in 09 when we were crippled, a function of how bad San Antonio played, not the other way round, ended in the same way too, a buzzer to buzzer beat down in the decider.

The whole advantage of getting the #1 seed was that they could play as bad as they did in the early series and still win, we didn't get the same luxury, nor did we deserve it, and so we lost.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

They lost so many pieces that helped them get there namely Carter, Marion, and Calderon. I don't think it will happen again

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Mark Cuban overpaying eeeerbody.

2 year $6 mil for Nelson and he has a player option!

14. htown1984

htown1984 Member

no wonder everyone is signing with the Mavs

15. andersongo

andersongo Member

Cuban is going all in for a final Cgampionship run with Dirk. It's desperate, I will give you that, but much better than Morey who has decided to throw away this season while Dwight's window as an elite player quickly draws to a close. In the end, you've got to bite the bullet if you really want a ring.

16. htown1984

htown1984 Member

offseason is not over my friend- patience

17. afk

afk Member

[​IMG]

18. Dr Dunkenstein

I am not a fan of Nelson.

I would rather trot Ish Smith out there because at least he has an elite attribute (SPEED).

Nelson has been washed up a couple of years now. Honestly, I thought he was done. This move smacks of desperation by the Mavs. Their lifeless PG rotation is barely hanging on by a Devin Harris thread...

Take away Calderon, Carter, and Marion and then sub in Parsons as the only shooter. I seriously say the Mavs take a step back. They will play no defense and will not be able to score like they have the past two seasons.

19. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

Nah, they'd probably shoot that one down.

20. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/234413/Jameer-Nelson-Finalizes-Two-Year-$56M-Deal-With-Mavericks

I find it odd that Dwight made multiple recruiting calls to Nelson to join him in Houston. I was under the impression that Dwight & Jameer had a falling out after the way things ended in Orlando.