1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the best Houston sports radio program?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Raven, Sep 17, 2015.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I actually like Lance... I think MT is actually the problem. He seems like a likable guy and all, and I loved his show in the past. But his sports convo is starting to seem like "sports for dummies". I mean, just look at the caliber of his traditional callers.

I think 790's best possible duo would be LZ and Sean Jones. It would be football centric, but Jones would clearly be the star of the show and Lance would have to take a backseat. Basically making LZ the play-by-play guy and Jones the analyst, so to speak.

Sean Jones has become my favorite host to listen to on Houston sports radio.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Man, Lance solo is A+ (today). He brings it. Lance with anyone else (I like him fine with MT) is good, but clearly not all in.

3. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Did he talk about Football for 3 hours? Offensive Lineman and his dad? That's basically the only topics he knows.

1 person likes this.
  4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I find Lance very entertaining as well. There is a reason he always raises the ratings for every show he's on.

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Yeah been off air for a few weeks now. I saw him on FS1 though, filling in for one of the tv/radio shows.

is there a good podcast with houston sports coverage? thats the main reason people still listen to local radio.

6. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Lance has Rockets season tickets in the lower bowl...but he doesn't watch Rockets games

7. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I can't speak for the ratings part of it, but I agree about Lance. My theory is that the people who want hardcore sports talk every minute of every segment aren't going to enjoy what he brings to the table. Those who are in it just to be entertained tend to be more receptive.

I'm not saying either group is necessarily right or wrong. Everyone listens for a different reason, but I think that's why Lance is so polarizing.

8. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

Another vote for Charlie Pallilo here. Refreshing insight for Houston.

9. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Nice break down just now of game 2 by Mr. Basketball, aka Snacks recorded on LZ's iPhone during the game, kid was dropping serious BB knowledge for a 6/7 yr old. I would say it was deeper analysis than LZ goes on his show!! :eek: More please!!

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Charlie Pillow

11. Matt Maloney

Matt Maloney Member

Charlies the best. Most knowledgeable, stat geek, engages with callers, and his interviews with Nolan Ryan are can't miss.

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Best - Charliee Pallilo

Worst - Any show with Lance "eggball" Zierlein

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

While I am not a big fan of Seth Payne, even he is better than Lance.

Another host that is soon approaching LZ as the most annoying is Adam Clanton. It appears Clanton has become addicted to twitter, and most of the time he talks about some twitter argument he is having. While I think Twitter is a great resource to get info about news, or a team or athlete, I really don't care if someone on twitter is arguing with a radio host. Clanton is like a teenage girl playing Mean Girls.

Maybe they should re-pair Clanton and LZ so I can avoid them both at the same time...

14. buffalobills!!!

Clanton has become insufferable. All he does is b**** now, it seems. I guess hiring D'Antoni will do that

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I think Clanton's a cool guy, but man, lately it seems like he's lost his mind with the Warriors/Steph Curry hate.