1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Sportscenter:four team trade

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Kam, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I just heard it a few seconds ago.

Keith Van horn is moving to new york,

spre is going to the t wolves.

I can't remember the other players, but Philly is in on it.

I forgot the fourth team.

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

They're talking about it right now.

Glen Robinson is headed to Philly, and Terrell Brandon is going to Atlanta.

I think, let me listen in.

3. JibbaJabba

JibbaJabba Contributing Member

Tarrell Brandon to ATL, Glenn Robinson to Philly is the rest of the trade.

4. reallyBaked

reallyBaked Member

oh course, good players being traded..

do we hear the rockets gettin in on any of this?

no

:mad:

5. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

T-Wolves come out of the deal with a huge steal (well not that huge...)

Brandon wasn't going to play anyway, and by trading (in actuallity) "cap space" they were able to pick up a formidable running mate for Cassel and Garnet.

If they don't make it out of the first round with those players, they don't deserve to be in the West.

6. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

Looks like a good deal for everyone involved!

Milwawkee sure is moving up this year!!

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I guess I'll give my assesment

KVH is an Anus Mime.
    I thought he was suppose to be good.

With Spree, Alien, Wally, and KG, they should break out of the first round.

If they don't then it means this.

1)The T-Wolves just can't cut it.
    2)The west is stacked.

Minny wins this trade because KVH is a piece of crap.
    and Robinson is a fat piece of crap
    and Brandon is a gimpy piece of crap.

Spree is a violent piece of crap.

8. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

From first glance, Philly's getting the best end of the deal. Van Horn is too inconsistent to be a real second option. Glenn Robinson has a terrific midrange game and should be able to hit the open jumpers when defenses focus on Iverson. I guess Atlanta is really in need of cap relief w/ SAR's, Robinson's, and Ratliff's contracts.

The T-Wolves made a good deal too, and may have gotten the best end had they been in the East. Robinson may be enough to make Philly contenders in the East. Anyways, Minnesota finally gets a wing to match up w/ Kobe Bryant (if he's found innocent).
    PG- Cassell
    SG- Sprewell
    SF- Sczerbiak
    PF- Garnett
    C- Olowokandi
    Troy Hudson would be an electric sixth man, w/ the energy and instant offense he brings. Not a bad lineup...but their frontcourt depth is atrocious, not a good sign in the West.

#8 LiLStevie3, Jul 22, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2003
  9. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

The West now has 5 monsters:
    LA, Milk, SA, Dal and Sac. Who is not going to make it out of the 1st round?
    I can't believe that Dal might look like the weakest one of the bunch!

Where does that leave the Rockets? We couldn't even get Ollie, Daniels, maybe not Piatkowski and we are losing Posey, T. Morris ?!!!

10. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Looks like the deal is complete, its shown on the front page on ESPN.

Isnt it ironic that Sprewell was rumoured to be traded for Cassell during last season's deadline, and now they are teammates.

11. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

So what does this make Rice worth?

Tim Thomas? SAR? other overpayed guys who nonetheless do bring some skills to the table.

I have to say I think Minnesotta got the best deal. If Kandi even works out semi-OK they could make a run for the WC finals.

12. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

They'd have to get their frontcourt depth straightened out first...Marc Jackson isn't nearly enough in the West. Otherwise, they're pretty set and should be placed on the level of the Kings/Spurs/Lakers/Mavs.

13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They got Ervin Johnson as well in the Cassell deal and Ebi can come in as a combo forward. They still have the 1.5 exception at their disposal. Right now, they've got a STRONG starting 5, and an excellent 6th man. Jackson and Johnson just may be enough to roundout a very good 8 man rotation.

14. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I think right now they are right with the Kings and SA--maybe better than both, and surely ahead the interior defensively challeneged Mavs. Of course pending legal or health issues the Lakers are way out there for next year.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Minn wins big on this. Did DMcDavid approve the deal?

Best part of deal is that Big Bog (so aptly 'named') is not coming here!

And I was so sure Spree was headed here.

16. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

They're shaping up to be a scary team...

Spree is a guy who makes the Kobe-deficit on the offensive end more managable, and Olowokandi is an infinitely better target than Nesterovic in those high-low sets Flip Saunders likes to run.

Anybody think there will be a more alienated player on their respective team than Wally Szcerbiak? Talk about clashing personalities...

17. mfclark

mfclark Member

Minn - obviously an upgrade. Spree can play defense, which Szczerbiak seems to be allergic to. He doesn't solve their need for another bigman, but by association, it moves Garnett to the 4 spot and helps alleviate some of those problems. A lineup of Cassell (floor leader), Szczerbiak (shooting), Sprewell (slashing), Garnett (everything) and Olowokandi (low-post) is well balanced and one of the better starting 5s in the league.

Atlanta - a salary dump, but also addition by subtraction. Puppy Dog has been an overrated, overpaid player his entire career, and I think this will help Abdur-Rahim and Terry establish themselves much better as scorers. They don't gain any talent from this deal, but they gain themselves some salary flexibility and open up opportunities for their scorers. It also clears some room for Diaw, whether at PG or SF.

Philly - why they make this deal is beyond me. Yes, they get rid of something that didn't work in KVH, but they gain something that doesn't really fit in Robinson. Iverson has never worked well with other scorers (though, granted, Hughes and Stack were both guards), while Robinson isn't effective (or happy) without the ball in his hands. Are there enough shots to go around? And where does this leave Kenny Thomas? I know where it leaves the Sixers - in salary cap purgatory.

New York - I swear, Layden is turning that team into a squad of undersized/overpaid PFs and undersized combo guards. About all they have to do now is trade Allan Houston for an undersized combo guard...Troy Hudson comes to mind...and their roster would be complete. This will not be a good move for Van Horn or the Knicks and may lead to Layden's eventual firing. Absolutely does not make sense for them.

18. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

oh man.. this is something to look out for.. if this trade works out, big trouble for the rocs and the midwest coz twolves are really a team to be reckoned with. with the lineup of KG, KANDI, SPREE, WALLY, CASSELL... uh-oh.. this thing makes the rocs stand on shaky ground! yo, cd and les, where's the "big splash" youve been blabbin about?! do you wanna win a championship or not?! :mad:

#18 couch_pot8o, Jul 22, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2003
  19. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

I think it is a great trade for the T-Wolves because they get the bigger 2-guard that they've always coveted.

The Knicks on the other hand got a 6-10 guy who despite his great talent has never lived up to his hype.

Philly gets a jumpshooting 3 who is nothing more than a lap puppy on defense.

And Atl gets some cap room after next season. The Wolves and Knicks got the better end of the deal here.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

How large can the East/West gap get?

East gets: Terrell Brandon, age 52 amputee
    West gets: Latrell Sprewell

Trade accepted. :eek:

Also, this could literally be the death of Van Horn. Those fans really seemed to appreciate Spree, and now they get milquetoast.