1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN 2014 NBA Player Rankings

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by CantGoLeft, Sep 15, 2014.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Speaking of AD:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Pelicans?src=hash">#Pelicans</a> will pick up fourth-year option on <a href="https://twitter.com/AntDavis23">@AntDavis23</a> but will NOT pick up the option on <a href="https://twitter.com/AustinRivers25">@AustinRivers25</a> sources say.</p>&mdash; Jimmy Smith (@JimmySmith504) <a href="https://twitter.com/JimmySmith504/status/525765937442856961">October 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Oh he'll get there, but it's a cpl years from now

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

If Davis is truly a top 5 player, then the Pelicans are a lock to make the playoffs, injuries to other teams or not.

Which I don't think will happen.

4. Great Red Flash

lol you're an idiot if you think Harden is more efficient than Curry. Curry had better efficiency for the season 47/42/88 compared to Harden's 45/36/86. he also had a higher per and a MUCH better post season. Harden's playoff stats were flat out terrible.

It's funny how you talk about his D when Harden is just as bad as he is. Curry is absolutely elite in one thing the 3 point shot...could probably go down as the greatest ever while Harden isn't. He also makes less money than Harden. Curry is just better than Harden right now and will probably continue to be under Kerr .

5. Aleron

Harden's TS was 0.618, Curry's was .610, it's nice and all to quote percentages but they mean nothing if not combined with volumes, so yes he is more efficient.

If Golden State's defense had been rated likes ours, ie 12th, they wouldnt have even made the playoffs, which should give you an idea of what a "tailored for Curry" offense looks like.

6. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Here we go with TS% again. I hate that stat especially, in this case, its mostly due to Harden's laterally running into people to flop out fouls. If TS% is the biggest factor in offensive prowess, then that makes Deandre Jordan a better offensive center than Dwight Howard. Agree?

As Mark Twain put it...lies, damned lies, and statistics

7. Aleron

People hate what they don't understand, you just said that you hated it and then showed that you didn't understand it.

If DeAndre was putting up a volume greater than Dwight while doing it, then yes he would be, Curry and Harden have basically the same role, DeAndre and Dwight not so much.

#247 Aleron, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If you don't understand the difference between the significance of TS% for a guard, and the TS% for a center, you're hopelessly dense...

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Also...very much this.

10. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Ok, so James Harden does not score to the same volume that a player like Carmelo Anthony does. What was the argument that Harden is a better offensive player than Anthony again?

11. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Deandre and Dwight have the same role. Anchor the defense and protect the rim. Just because Dwight Howard thinks he has some game on offense, doesn't make it a good idea to feed him in the post and let him embarrass himself.

12. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Plus, if I have to pick one go to scorer in the fourth quarter in the playoffs, I will go with the guy with the better FG%, 3PT% and FT% in Curry. I don't care that Harden is very talented at flopping out fouls because those calls don't always come during the playoffs as often as during the regular season. Plus, I don't want to have to depend on the referees to help me win. I'd much rather pick the guy that can put the ball in the basket more efficiently and take the referee variable out.

Curry is also better off the ball and running around screens. It's a no brainer in my opinion and this scenario only points to the misleading nature of that TS% stat. Harden doesn't even shoot 40% from the three point line which is strange for someone that is supposed to be an elite outside shooter.

13. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Ummm...yes, I do understand TS% and exactly why Harden has a slightly higher clip than Curry. And it's also the most frustrating part of watching Harden play. He basically barrels into the lane looking for people to run into so he can get free throws. His TS% is higher because he gets a ton of his points off free throws which he shoots 87%. I personally think the NBA needs to fix their rules on these Harden fouls much like the Reggie Miller rule. If the offensive player initiates contact, it should not be a foul. It's an effective strategy, but he should be ashamed to play that way.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

LOL slestack is so salty over Harden.

He thinks Harden scores his 25 points on 25 free throws from bad calls by the ref. I love it.

15. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Curry scores only 1 less point than Harden. So he's a PG who's an elite scorer also.

We're talking Harden as the best player on a team. The Rockets haven't advanced past the first round, and Harden has under-performed massively in the playoffs.

Durant is going to miss 25% of the season. They gave their reasoning for why Durant is #8. Depends on if you think missing games is an important criteria for ranking players or not. Some do, some don't. When healthy, Durant is a clearcut #2, no one is denying that. ESPN did admit that.

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

lol it is funny. Harden embellishes contact. He still has to be contacted in the first place, which is a foul, he just makes damn sure the refs call it.

I challenge anyone to go back the last bunch of seasons and look what teams were top 5 in TS% and then tell us that TS% doesn't mean much. You will find the two teams that played in the finals. Every year. There is a reason Miami and SA and OKC and LAC and surprise surprise! the Rockets are always league leaders in TS%, because the best offensive teams and the best players score efficiently.

But trolls gonna troll.

17. t_mac1

This is about the dumbest post I've read in a while.

18. t_mac1

Not necessarily. Kobe, McGrady, and Wade failed to lead their teams to the playoffs at least once in their respective careers, and were top 5 players at that time.

But your team shouldn't suck balls if you're the only good player, esp. a top 5 player (except for McGrady's 03-04 season, where his stock did drop a lot).

19. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Do the Rockets get some sort of TS% championship ring every year for this accomplishment? They should raise some banners indicating they led the league in this category. Who cares that they lost in the first round the last two seasons while not making the playoffs the year before. The Clippers haven't done a whole lot with their TS% either.

20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Consistently the teams that show up in the finals are top 5 and usually top 3 in TS%.

Meaning when you do that you are doing something right. There is another part of the game though so TS% alone doesn't guarantee you anything. You have to play defense. You have to start somewhere though. I think it's a good sign that they have the offense that is capable of doing damage now they have to get the defense to match.