1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN 2014 NBA Player Rankings

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by CantGoLeft, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Dr Dunkenstein

Anthony Davis has proven absolutely DICK in this league. I just dont get all the love for the guy. He's a top 5 guy? No way. Yeah, he was the number one overall pick a couple of seasons ago but I am ready to see some sort of physical play out of him. He now has Asik cleaning up the boards and playing solid defense behind him so I guess he can get away a bunch more risky attempts at blocks and steals. Also, can he post up at all? He is too slight in his rear end to post up. Not a fan of his at all.

This league has really gone to hell if that guy is a top 10 player.

2. Dr Dunkenstein

No way Curry should be that high. What is with all the love for the GS boys? Curry can shoot but he is way to slight of build to be a top 10 player. Should be in the 11-15 range. All shot and no D. Compared to Harden he is a less efficient scorer. I would take Harden all day over that dude.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

He also average 9 dimes a game. And his team has gotten farther in the playoffs than Harden's.

4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

The list is based on what they think the player will do "this" year, not previous years.

Davis has all the tools to be a top 5 guy.

5. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Wait what? If you're going to use assists as a measuring tool, Harden is a SG not a PG, which is the position Curry plays, so I expect Curry to have more assists.

Also, Harden was a member of the Thunder who made it to the NBA finals a few seasons ago. So technically Harden's "team" has gotten farther than Curry's team, in the playoffs.

This ESPN list just got stupid, how are you going to rate 6 players ahead of Kevin Durant? I can see how LeBron James could be ranked higher.. but really? 6 other players? Credibility just went out the window on that one.

6. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

There is no way in hell that Love is better than Harden or will he ever be.

The hate for Houston is real.

7. Dr Dunkenstein

Harden has more "tools" than AD. The only thing AD is better at than Harden is being tall. I just dont get it. Harden is a *****ing boss and he gets disrespected in the national media and on this Rockets forum.

If a player like Anthony Davis is a top 5 player in the league then this league is way, way, way down. If you put AD in the mid-90's he wouldnt sniff the top 15. Damn...

8. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

A 1st round loss to a team we had no business losing too does this.

The lovefest for Anthony Davis is such ****.

9. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

ESPN are entertainment salesmen...not scientists.

Curry and Love better than Harden? Back that up a step...Curry and Love better than DURANT!?!?! OHPPKAY DERR ESPN GOOD JERB! *thumbs up*

10. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

[​IMG]

11. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Anthony Davis is a great rebounder and rim protector. Additionally, he can shoot from outside and is improving his post moves. He also has pretty decent ball control abilities and will likely improve on his assist numbers this coming season. He's just about as well rounded a player there is in the NBA...at least a player not named Lebron. Harden is a shooter. I don't know what other "tools" you are referring to, but if flopping is a tool, then that makes 2 "tools".

12. slestack11

slestack11 Member

ESPN indicated immediately after they tweeted out Durant's ranking that it was due to his injury. Quality and well as Quantity of play is a factor in these rankings. Harden is essentially the point guard for the Rockets since he brings the ball up the court and is the primary ball handler. There should be no excuse that he doesn't get assists because he isn't a point guard. It's like saying he doesn't get as many rebounds because he's not a forward or center.

Harden is a tremendous sixth man because he is a pure scorer. A sixth man does not need to play defense and primary duty is to bring some offense off the bench. I'm pretty sure Curry would have made the finals too if he were on the Thunder with Westbrook and Durant.

13. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

You're an idiot. Unlike Harden, Davis is not a liability on defense. He's an elite rim protector, rebounder, and is becoming a force on offense. He can post up inside, and step back and hit jumpers.

14. outlaw96

outlaw96 Member

Harden and Dwight would be higher if they had won series against Portland last year. It would make no sense to put them in 4-7 positions. Imagine a team having 2 players from top7 and not making the 2nd round. Contrary, it's still hard to believe that team having 2 top10 players does not make 2nd round. Vegas also does not rank rockets very high (like 6-8thin the west), and players define the team. So chill out guys.

15. outlaw96

outlaw96 Member

PS. it will be funny to remember talks about AD after two years, he's better than DH at the moment. after two years the gap would be like earth to pluton.

16. slestack11

slestack11 Member

The question is whether ESPN is going to rank Anthony Davis over Blake Griffin. I'm a fan of Flight 32, but I would admit that Davis has a higher ceiling than Blake and may actually be better next season. Hell, Davis may give Lebron a run for MVP next season if the Pelicans are a top 4 team in the West.

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Surprised Harden is that high with how much the media despises him nowadays.

His defense is bad, but it's gotten to the point where his offense (more important than defense, regardless what people think), is overlooked. 9 is about right for him. Top 5 potential if he plays acceptable defense, which he's capable of, just needs to put in the effort.

As for Howard, 10 sounds about right as well, though I think when he's at his best, he's one of the 5 best players in the league. He just needs to be a little more consistent.

Not surprised to see slestack11 doing his usual trolling. He's nothing if not consistent!

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Quoting this so you can't retract your idiocy

19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The problem with Davis is really, they don't watch him much, it's reminiscent of Ibaka a few years back where he'd get blocks all over the place, but defensively he was lousy. He tries to block everything, and is beaten man to man consistently by basically anyone with a semblance of ability to protect their shot (e.g. Splitter just did what he liked to him)

The more I've watched multiple teams, the more I've noticed that most including espn "analysts" included just look at stat lines and try to draw conclusions from them.

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Davis will most likely be better than Howard sooner rather than later, if we're being honest, but he's most certainly not there right now.

Davis can block shots and rebound, but he doesn't single-handedly make his team's defense better like Howard does. That's the key difference between them right now.